An anniversary celebration on Saturday will mark Arlington Garden’s five years in the community.
The property, which is owned by Caltrans, was once the site of an opulent, 17,000-square-foot mansion that was built in 1901 and then demolished in the 1960s.
The 3-acre lot at one point was poised to become a staging area for 710 freeway construction crews.
But after standing vacant for 40 years, Charles and Betty McKenney had a different idea about what the land could be used for: a garden. City officials banded together with neighbors, local schools and dozens of donors and volunteers to make the garden a reality.
Image: Chuck McKenney, in 2007, with his wife Betty, who came up with the idea to create a garden on an empty Caltrans-owned 3-acre lot at the northwest corner of Arlington Street and Pasadena Avenue. Neighbors helped with the landscaping and plantings, including 50 orange trees. (File photo)
More photos after the jump.