Our May-June issue arrives Sunday on Star-News subscribers’ driveways and doorsteps. Non-subscribers can pick up a copy of the paper at stands and look for the magazine inside.
- Meet the finalists for our Jewels of Pasadena: Women of Distinction Awards gala.
- Tour the guest house of the Showcase House of Design. You’d never guess from the post-design photos that this space was recently a dilapidated stable.
- Take inspiration from our four, featured “Great Spaces,” including a modern, eclectic English Tudor in Altadena; a spacious South Pasadena creative hub; a Pasadena artist’s converted industrial loft; and a classically breathtaking Greene & Greene home overlooking the Arroyo.
- Get to know a student and graduate of Art Center’s environmental design program who are improving the human experience.
- Dive into the history of Southern California architecture at Heritage Square Museum.
Know an outstanding woman who lives, works or attends school in Pasadena? We’re betting you know more than a few. Here’s your chance to give her the proper standing ovation she deserves.
The Pasadena Star-News and Rose Magazine are now accepting nominations for our annual Jewels of Pasadena: Women of Distinction Gala.
Our first-ever gala celebrating Pasadena women was held last year, and our sophomore effort promises to be another extraordinary event. (Check out photos from the 2010 gala here.)
We are taking nominations through Feb. 28 in the following categories: Arts & Culture, Business, Community Service/Volunteer, Education, Family, Health & Wellness, Philanthropy, Sports, Youth (under 21 years old) and Woman of the Year.
The finalists selected by our gala committee will be announced in the next issue of Rose Magazine, and all will be honored at an April celebration at the Westin Pasadena.
Use our online form to submit your nominations.
Rose Magazine and the Pasadena Star-News honored local women of distinction last week in our first-ever “Jewels of Pasadena” gala event at the Pasadena Hilton.
Finalists and winners were a real cross-section of life in the Crown City. There were many categories of awards — ranging from arts and culture to health care and education.
At right is the full list of winners.
And read about all the nominees here, in Rose Magazine’s April issue.
More photos after the jump.
Rose Magazine’s April issue — focusing on the women of Pasadena and the best of all things spring — is out tomorrow, April 14. Inside you’ll find:
- Picnic perfection from Nicole’s Gourmet Foods and a sak primer
- Q&A with Onil Chibas, chef and owner of Elements Kitchen, Caf and Catering
- Spring fashion from Elisa B. and a shop-the-block adventure, South Pasadena-style
- All our regular departments — GO, PLAY and THINK — with the best of upcoming events
- [Feature] As the Pentagon tackles possible changes to “don’t ask, don’t tell,” here’s what you didn’t know: It impacts women much more than men. Local service members told us about their experiences serving under the controversial law, and what they think about the current debate
- [Feature] Local institutions have a long legacy of unlocking access to the important biblical texts encoded in the ancient Dead Sea Scrolls. Now, a San Gabriel Valley university has acquired five original Dead Sea Scrolls fragments, and Southland scholars are using innovative technology to further push open that gate of access
- The Jewels of Pasadena: Women of Distinction finalists who will be honored at our April 29 gala at the Pasadena Hilton
If you’re already a Star-News subscriber, you’ll receive a copy of the magazine with your paper delivery. You can also subscribe just to Rose Magazine to receive all future issues.
The magazine is also available in public places around town, like the Convention Center, and at the Star-News office, 911 E. Colorado Blvd.
Need more assistance? Just contact us.