LOS ANGELES COUNTY ARBORETUM AND BOTANIC GARDEN
301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia. (626) 821-3222
- Saturday: Aloes, Agaves and Pears, Oh My! This family fun class reveals how certain plants survive hot weather. Afterwards, participants will make container gardens; 10 a.m. to noon, Aug. 15. Individuals are $6; families are $20. Class fees include garden admission; pre-registration required, (626) 821-4623, and class closes at 5 p.m. Aug 14.
- Saturday and Sunday: Inter-City Cactus Show and Sale 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 15 and 16. Hundreds of plants will be on display; lots of plants and related materials will be available for purchase. Included with admission of $8; $6 seniors.
1418 Descanso Drive, La Caada Flintridge. (818) 949-4200
- Friday and Saturday: Star-Crossed Love with the Pasadena Pops, featuring music from star-crossed lovers, from Romeo and Juliet to Superman and Lois; 7:30 p.m. Aug. 14 and 15. Dinner from Patina, (818) 790-3663 or www.patinagroup.com/descanso. Tickets for music are $20-$90 and available (626) 793-7172 or www.theorchestras.org. Gates open at 5:30 p.m.; picnics are permitted.
- Thursday, Aug. 20: Wine tasting For Heaven’s Sake!, Minka Terrace, 6-8:30 p.m. Aug. 20. $49-$54, large appetizers chosen to compliment the wines. (818) 790-3663.
HUNTINGTON LIBRARY, ART COLLECTIONS, AND BOTANICAL GARDENS
1151 Oxford Road, San Marino. (626) 405-2100
- Wednesday: The Legend of Pancho Barnes This documentary film follows the career of aviation pioneer Florence Lowe from San Marino deb to stunt pilot; 7 p.m. Wednesday. Friends’ Hall. Free.
— Compiled by Linda Fields Gold