Another week, another top 5 team from Oklahoma goes down. That plus a couple of debuts – one likely and one out of left field. Previous ranking in parantheses
1. Florida (1) – Another week, another killing of an overmatched team. Should have more fun against Tennessee.
2. Texas (2) – Little sluggish in the first half against Wyoming. Could have been looking ahead to the revenge game Thursday against Texas Tech.
3. USC (3) – Wasn’t pretty, but any time you can go to Ohio State and win at night with a freshman QB, you’ve done something good.
4. Alabama (4) – The Tide offense looks more explosive than it did a year ago.
5. Penn State (8) – Pretty big dropoff from 4 to 5. Penn State looks good, but most people do against Akron and Syracuse.
6. Mississippi (7) – Got jumped because they didn’t play.
7. California (9) – 111 points in two weeks is pretty darn good. Definitely a darkhorse national title team.
8. BYU (11) – No letdown against Tulane. If the Cougars beat Florida State this week, look out.
9. LSU (10) – Defense looked better against Vandy than it did against Washington, which is key.
10. Boise State (12) – No letdown for the Broncos against Miami (Ohio)
11. Ohio State (6) – Not going to kill the Buckeyes for losing to USC. However, they need to figure out how to use Terrelle Pryor correctly.
12. Oklahoma (13) – Won 64-0 against Idaho State. At the very least, got Landry Jones some confidence.
13. Georgia Tech (14) – Got scary for a second, but the Jackets won a big game against Clemson. Another test looms Thursday against Miami.
14. Virginia Tech (15) – Nice bounceback blowout against Marshall.
15. TCU (16) – The Horned Frogs got a lopsided win at Virginia. Then again, so did William and Mary.
16. Utah (17) – Utes pull away from San Jose State for their nation’s best 15th-straight game.
17. Houston (NR) – Cougars shoot up out of nowhere with big win at Oklahoma State.
18. North Carolina (18) – Ugly 2-point win over UConn keeps Tar Heels stable.
19. Oklahoma State (5) – Cowboys take a huge tumble after losing to the Cougars. So much for the big win over Georgia.
20. Nebraska (20) – Huskers win second straight rout. We’ll learn a lot this weekend at Virginia Tech.
21. Miami (Fla) (25) – Sort of a self-correction. I sold Miami a little short after their win over Florida State.
22. Georgia (21) – Got a must-win against South Carolina and scored some points, but I’m still skeptical of this team.
23. Kansas (22) – Jayhawks rolled in a potentially-tricky game against UTEP. Now Duke in what would be a great basketball game.
24. Cincinnati (23) – Bearcats humiliate another team. Can get some street cred with a win at Oregon State.
25. Michigan (NR) – From 3-9 to ranked in two weeks. The young Wolverines got a big win against Notre Dame.
Also receiving consideration: Oregon State, Pittsburgh, Missouri
Dropped out: No. 19 Notre Dame, No. 24 Oregon State