My top 25, with a ton of movement. Really crazy week.
1. Florida (1) – It wasn’t the woodshed beating that was predicted, but beating Tennessee five years in a row is nothing to scoff at.
2. Texas (2) – The Longhorns get revenge on Texas Tech, though not Michael Crabtree.
3. Alabama (4) – The Crimson Tide have probably been the most consistently stellar team through the first three weeks.
4. California (7) – A road win and five Jahvid Best touchdowns mean a big bump for the Bears
5. Mississippi (5) – Ole Miss trucked SE Louisiana, as it was supposed to
6. Penn State (6) – Nits beating the heck out of bad teams. Hard to really make a good judgement of them right now.
7. LSU (9) – All of a sudden, the Tigers’ close win over Washington two weeks ago doesn’t look so bad.
8. Boise State (10) – Got the win over Fresno State, but the run defense needs work.9.. 9. Oklahoma (12) – After the way Landry Jones has played the last two weeks, I’m confident to say that Oklahoma would drill BYU in a rematch.
10. Ohio State (11) – Buckeyes got much-needed rout over Toledo.
11. Miami (Fla.) (21) – Hurricanes looked awesome against Ga. Tech. Have another toughie coming up against Va. Tech.
12. Virginia Tech (14) – Pulled one out late against Nebraska. Now it has to host red-hot Miami.
13. TCU (15) – Have a tough test next week at Clemson
14. Houston (17) – Off week prevented any sort of a possible letdown
15. USC (3) – Same stuff, different year. The offense looks to be an area of concern.
16. North Carolina (18) – Beating East Carolina is harder than you would expect.
17. Cincinnati (24) – Bearcats take a jump after big win at Oregon State.
18. Oklahoma State (19) – Not great in their win over Rice.
19. Florida State (NR) – Made a huge statement at BYU – and boosted the street cred of rival Miami in the interim
20. Georgia (22) – The offense has been awesome the past two weeks. The defense? Well, the offense has scored 93 points.
21. BYU (8) – Their BCS-busting aspirations are completely busted.
22. Kansas (23) – Beat Duke. No, it wasn’t the Final Four.
23. Michigan (25) – Ran for 380 yards in a rout of Eastern Michigan, but defense could be a sore spot in the conference schedule.
24. Georgia Tech (13) – Jackets tumble after being rolled by Miami.
25. Missouri (NR) – At 3-0, apparently there is life after Chase Daniel.
Receiving consideration: Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Utah
Dropped out: 16. Utah, No. 20. Nebraska