After the top 3, college football rankings this year seem to be a crapshoot. I might actually start picking teams out of a hat if the upsets continue. Huge dropoff after the top 3.
1. Florida (1) – Killed Kentucky, but Tim Tebow almost got killed in the process. His status is definitely worth monitoring.
2. Texas (2) – Longhorns scored 47 in the first half against UTEP. That’s enough to remain No. 2.
3. Alabama (3) – Tide defense subdued a high-flying Arkansas team. This team has probably been the most consistent to date.
4. LSU (7) – If there was a way to leave slots 4-6 blank, I would. But LSU, despite almost losing to Mississippi State, moves up by default.
5. Boise State (8) – Highest rating ever for the Broncos. Their win over Oregon all of a sudden looks a lot better.
6. Virginia Tech (12) – Impressed with win over Miami. Wins over Miami and Nebraska, plus loss to Alabama, best of one-loss crowd.
7. Oklahoma (9) – Move up during a bye week. Have a huge test this weekend at Miami.
8. TCU (13) – Got their second win on the road in the ACC in the last three weeks. Might have one of the best defenses in the nation.
9. Ohio State (10) – Second straight shutout after losing to USC. Still need to show more offensively though.
10. Houston (14) – Win over Texas Tech, the second over a Big 12 team, move Cougars into top 10.
11. Cincinnati (17) – Bearcats are an impressive 4-0. I put them behind Houston because I like the Cougars’ wins a little bit more.
12. USC (15) – Pretty ho-hum shutout for the Trojans. Game against Cal suddenly a survival one for both teams.
13. Iowa (NR) – Huge debut in the poll for the Hawkeyes, which is deserved after winning at Penn State.
14. Oklahoma State (18) – Everyone else’s pain was Okie State’s gain. Houston winning helped as well.
15. Mississippi (5) – Of the top 10 teams to lose, Ole Miss’ was the most excusable. Should be OK.
16. Miami (Fla.) (11) – Hurricanes take a little bit of a dive after Va. Tech loss. Can’t take away Florida State and Georgia Tech wins though.
17. Penn State (6) – Easy non-conference schedule didn’t exactly prep the Nittany Lions for Big Ten play, a fact that Iowa exposed.
18. Georgia (20) – Not pretty, but the Bulldogs pulled it out against Arizona State.
19. BYU (21) – Bounced back nicely against Colorado State.
20. Kansas (22) – Jayhawks survived a tough home game with an underrated Southern Miss squad.
21. Michigan (23) – Wolverines stay undefeated…barely…by beating Indiana. Defensive problems need to be addressed though.
22. Oregon (NR) – Broke back in the rankings in a huge way by beating Cal. Boise State issues look to be in past.
23. California (4) – Bears absolutely plummet in the rankings after a 42-3 stinkbomb against the Ducks.
24. Georgia Tech (24) – Yellow Jackets get back on tracking by whipping North Carolina.
25. South Carolina (NR) – Thursday night victory over Ole Miss gets Gamecocks in poll.
Receiving consideration: Missouri, South Florida, Nebraska.
Dropped out: No. 16 North Carolina, No. 19 Florida State, No. 25 Missouri.