Houston gave up 58 points to UTEP in a loss, which is an automatic exclusion from my poll.
1. Florida (1) – Tebow’s status is big with a trip to LSU looming
2. Texas (2) – Had a bye this week and have another one next week called Colorado.
3. Alabama (3) – Tide is rolling. Nice road test coming up against Ole Miss.
4. LSU (4) – Validated their ranking a bit by winning at Georgia. Can finish the job against Florida.
5. Boise State (5) – I should drop them for playing UC Davis in October. But I won’t.
6. Virginia Tech (6) – A bit of a letdown against Duke, but nothing big. Miami’s win over Oklahoma makes Hokies look good.
7. TCU (8) – Kept the Golden Skillet (yes, that’s a real trophy) by beating SMU. Congrats fellas.
8. USC (12) – Bit of a self-correction ranking. Had SC behind Ohio State, but beating the Buckeyes, plus killing Cal at Cal, necessitates that I put the Trojans ahead of Ohio State.
9. Ohio State (9) – Looked pretty good against Indiana. Won’t get tested much in the Big Ten.
10. Cincinnati (11) – Bearcats still undefeated and looking like a national-title darkhorse
11. Iowa (13) – I wouldn’t put too much stock into their 3-point win over Arkansas State. The Hawkeyes are good and won’t be flat with Michigan coming to town.
12. Miami (Fla.) (16) – Won back some props by beating Oklahoma. Schedule eases up quite a bit.
13. Oklahoma State (14) – Had a bye. Not much else to say here really.
14. Mississippi (15) – I feel as if I may be overranking the Rebels. How they do against Alabama will determine if I’m right.
15. Penn State (17) – Ho hum win over a bad Illinois team. Needed it, but not too impressive.
16. BYU (19) – They get back ahead of Oklahoma.
17. Oklahoma (7) – Sam Bradford injury or not, no one expected the Sooners to have two losses at this point.
18. Kansas (20) – Undefeated but somewhat untested.
19. Oregon (22) – Followed up blowout of Cal with blowout of Washington St. It’s safe to say that the first-week drama is forgotten.
20. Georgia Tech (24) – Beating Mississippi State isn’t necessarily worthy of a four-jump spot, but circumstances caused it.
21. South Carolina (25) – Same thing as Georgia Tech, but even more so considering the Gamecocks beat S.C. State.
22. Auburn (NR) – Tigers are surprisingly 5-0 and even though Tennessee isn’t good, a win in Knoxville is.
23. Missouri (NR) – On the cusp of being ranked these last few weeks, Tigers can prove their mettle Thursday against Nebraska.
24. Nebraska (NR) – This team played Virginia Tech tough, but hasn’t beat anyone of note. Can change that Thursday.
25. Georgia (18) – Barely hanging on to its ranking, but wins over South Carolina and Arizona State are good enough to do that for now.
Receiving consideration: South Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan
Dropped out: No. 10 Houston, No. 21 Michigan, No. 23 California