A little break from the high school hoopla. Stanford is the big mover, as you would expect after it killed USC.
1. Florida (1) – Another week, another ho-hum win. It’s almost as if the Gators are playing bored until the SEC title game.
2. Texas (3) – Longhorns are playing really well right now and I feel like finally rewarding them for that.
3. Alabama (2) – They drop, but it doesn’t matter. They’ll prove their worth one way or another against Florida in a few weeks.
4. TCU (4) – Absolutely destroyed Utah and might be just as good as the big three.
5. Boise State (5) – Killed in-state rival Idaho. Big whoop.
6. Cincinnati (6) – Had to scratch and claw a bit, but remained undefeated by beating West Virginia.
7. Georgia Tech (7) – Clinched a berth in the ACC title game by beating Duke.
8. Pittsburgh (8) – Held off Notre Dame to move to 9-1.
9. Oregon (9) – All of a sudden, the Ducks’ loss to Stanford last week doesn’t look so bad.
10. Ohio State (13) – Buckeyes wrap up trip to Rose Bowl with overtime win over Iowa.
11. LSU (14) – Sleepwalked through their victory against Louisiana Tech.
12. Oklahoma State (17) – Profitted by much of the lower half of the Top 20 losing.
13. BYU (18) – See Oklahoma State. Likely overranked at this position, but not a lot of options.
14. Stanford (NR) – Cardinal shoot from unranked to the Top 15 thanks to the 34-point beatdown of USC.
15. Penn State (20) – Nittany Lions might sneak into BCS if they beat Michigan State this week.
16. Virginia Tech (21) – Hokies break out a bit against Maryland.
17. Iowa (16) – Hawkeyes stay stable with tough OT loss at Ohio State.
18. Wisconsin (22) – Badgers stomp Michigan to move into top 20.
19. USC (10) – To be honest, I thought of putting the Trojans lower. But they have some good victories that keep them afloat for now.
20. Clemson (23) – Tigers are quietly on a five-game winning streak right now.
21. Miami (Fla) (12) – Hurricanes get bounced by old coach Butch Davis and North Carolina.
22. Oregon State (25) – Beavers could be sleeper in cluttered Rose Bowl race.
23. Houston (11) – Cougars barely hanging on to their ranking after losing to Central Florida.
24. Rutgers (NR) – 31-0 shutout of South Florida gives Scarlet Knights 7 wins in 8 games.
25. Utah (15) – Utes tumble after being destroyed by TCU.
Receiving consideration: Arizona, Nebraska, Navy
Dropped out: No. 19 Arizona, No. 24 South Florida