Final rankings of the regular season. Finally moved Auburn up to No. 1 after their savage beating of South Carolina in the SEC title game.
1. Auburn (2) – 13-0 in the SEC is good enough to get my vote.
2. Oregon (1) – Not No. 1, but still in the national title game. I think the Ducks are OK with that.
3. TCU (3) – One spot out of the big enchilada for the second straight year. Get a trip to Pasadena out of it though.
4. Wisconsin (4) – Badgers play TCU in Rose.
5. Stanford (5) – Will Jim Harbaugh stay? That’s the big question after a great year and an Orange Bowl bid.
6. Ohio State (6) – Buckeyes make yet another BCS bowl, playing Arkansas in the Sugar.
7. Michigan State (7) – Shame that UConn gets to go to the BCS while Sparty doesn’t.
8. Arkansas (8) – Razorbacks look to extend Ohio State misery against the SEC.
9. Oklahoma (11) – Sooners hop up after winning the Big 12 for fourth time in five years.
10. Boise State (9) – From BCS to Las Vegas in a span of 10 days. Stinks for the Broncos.
11. LSU (12) – Tigers rekindle rivalry with Texas A&M in Cotton Bowl.
12. Nevada (14) – Wolfpack beat La. Tech to win surprise WAC championship.
13. Missouri (13) – Tigers have intriguing matchup with Iowa in the Insight Bowl.
14. Virginia Tech (15) – From a loss to James Madison to an undefeated ACC title and an Orange Bowl matchup with Stanford. Not bad Hokies.
15. Nebraska (10) – Huskers fall from possible BCS game to underwhelming Holiday Bowl with Washington.
16. Oklahoma State (16) – Cowboys to play slumping Arizona in Alamo Bowl.
17. Alabama (17) – Have intriguing matchup with Michigan State in Capital One Bowl.
18. Texas A&M (18) – Aggies looking for first bowl win since 2001.
19. Utah (22) – Utes move up thanks to the losses of others and gets Boise State in an intriguing Las Vegas Bowl.
20. South Carolina (19) – Gamecocks get killed, but don’t get moved too far down.
21. Mississippi State (23) – Bulldogs play rare New Year’s Day Bowl, getting Michigan in the Gator.
22. West Virginia (24) – Mountaineers end season on roll, get N.C. State in Champ Sports Bowl.
23. Florida State (20) – Seminoles draw South Carolina in Chick-Fil-A Bowl a.k.a. the conference title-game runner-up bowl.
24. Hawaii (25) – Warriors host Tulsa in Hawaii Bowl after a banner 10-3 season.
25. Central Florida (NR) – Conference USA champs move into rankings and get Georgia in Liberty Bowl.
Under consideration: Maryland, Navy, Tulsa
Dropped out: No. 21 Northern Illinois