From Staff Writer Michelle Gardner:
Confirmation today that Chino Hills boys basketball will be forfeiting 9 games.
Here is the word from school district spokesman Julie Gobin:
“It has come to our knowledge that a student-athlete participated in CIF competition despite being scholastically ineligible. Therefore, administrators at Chino Hills HS have chosen to self-report to CIF and to forfeit the 11 games in which the student participated. These forfeitures do not affect the wins achieved at the 2015 Bass Pro Shops Tournament of Champions this past weekend in Springfield, Missouri. Chino Hills High School has implemented a new system to ensure this does not occur again.”
Julie Gobin, communications director for CVUSD
The Huskies were 12-4 on the court and 2-1 in Baseline League play after a loss to Damien last night.
Representatives from Upland and Rancho Cucamonga say they have been notified of forfeits that included games against their teams, both of which Huskies won on the court.
So Chino Hills is officially 0-3 in the Baseline, heading into game on Friday vs. Etiwanda. And that will be tough one.
“This definitely changes things,” says Rancho Cucamonga coach Bill Burke, whose team is now 16-4 overall and 2-1 in Baseline. “It really does open the door for us, maybe even Upland.”
Upland Athletic Director John McNally said his school had been notified it was getting a win via the forfeit as well.
Of the 11 games the ineligible student participated in, nine were wins. So the Huskies are 3-13 overall, 0-3 in league.