Final rankings of the regular season. Finally moved Auburn up to No. 1 after their savage beating of South Carolina in the SEC title game.
1. Auburn (2) – 13-0 in the SEC is good enough to get my vote.
2. Oregon (1) – Not No. 1, but still in the national title game. I think the Ducks are OK with that.
3. TCU (3) – One spot out of the big enchilada for the second straight year. Get a trip to Pasadena out of it though.
4. Wisconsin (4) – Badgers play TCU in Rose.
5. Stanford (5) – Will Jim Harbaugh stay? That’s the big question after a great year and an Orange Bowl bid.
6. Ohio State (6) – Buckeyes make yet another BCS bowl, playing Arkansas in the Sugar.
7. Michigan State (7) – Shame that UConn gets to go to the BCS while Sparty doesn’t.
8. Arkansas (8) – Razorbacks look to extend Ohio State misery against the SEC.
9. Oklahoma (11) – Sooners hop up after winning the Big 12 for fourth time in five years.
10. Boise State (9) – From BCS to Las Vegas in a span of 10 days. Stinks for the Broncos.
11. LSU (12) – Tigers rekindle rivalry with Texas A&M in Cotton Bowl.
12. Nevada (14) – Wolfpack beat La. Tech to win surprise WAC championship.
13. Missouri (13) – Tigers have intriguing matchup with Iowa in the Insight Bowl.
14. Virginia Tech (15) – From a loss to James Madison to an undefeated ACC title and an Orange Bowl matchup with Stanford. Not bad Hokies.
15. Nebraska (10) – Huskers fall from possible BCS game to underwhelming Holiday Bowl with Washington.
16. Oklahoma State (16) – Cowboys to play slumping Arizona in Alamo Bowl.
17. Alabama (17) – Have intriguing matchup with Michigan State in Capital One Bowl.
18. Texas A&M (18) – Aggies looking for first bowl win since 2001.
19. Utah (22) – Utes move up thanks to the losses of others and gets Boise State in an intriguing Las Vegas Bowl.
20. South Carolina (19) – Gamecocks get killed, but don’t get moved too far down.
21. Mississippi State (23) – Bulldogs play rare New Year’s Day Bowl, getting Michigan in the Gator.
22. West Virginia (24) – Mountaineers end season on roll, get N.C. State in Champ Sports Bowl.
23. Florida State (20) – Seminoles draw South Carolina in Chick-Fil-A Bowl a.k.a. the conference title-game runner-up bowl.
24. Hawaii (25) – Warriors host Tulsa in Hawaii Bowl after a banner 10-3 season.
25. Central Florida (NR) – Conference USA champs move into rankings and get Georgia in Liberty Bowl.
Under consideration: Maryland, Navy, Tulsa
Dropped out: No. 21 Northern Illinois
Boise State falls from the ranks of the unbeaten, allowing TCU a chance to sneak into the title game.
1. Oregon (1) – The Civil War stands in the way of the Ducks’ first national-title appearance.
2. Auburn (2) – Tigers overcome 24-point deficit against Bama to stay undefeated.
3. TCU (4) – Horned Frogs end season unbeaten, now just wait.
4. Wisconsin (5) – Badgers put up 70 to seal Rose Bowl berth.
5. Stanford (7) – Cardinal could bust into BCS after third shutout of the season.
6. Ohio State (8) – Buckeyes beat Michigan for seventh straight year, looking at another BCS berth.
7. Michigan State (10) – Spartans win 11th game, but likely to be shut out of BCS.
8. Arkansas (12) – Big win over LSU made the Razorbacks some serious money.
9. Boise State (3) – Two late missed field goals doom Broncos in loss to Nevada.
10. Nebraska (14) – Huskers beat Colorado to set up matchup with Oklahoma in Big 12 title game.
11. Oklahoma (17) – Win over Oklahoma State gives Sooners Big 12 South.
12. LSU (6) – Tigers lose at Arkansas and likely lose BCS berth in the process.
13. Missouri (13) – Mizzou beats Kansas to seal 10-win season.
14. Nevada (18) – Nevada takes control of WAC with upset win over Boise.
15. Virginia Tech (15) – Va. Tech wins 10th in a row to set up ACC title matchup with Florida State.
16. Oklahoma State (9) – Big plays doom Cowboys to 8th straight loss to Oklahoma.
17. Alabama (11) – Tide cursing the name of Cam Newton after blowing 24-0 lead.
18. Texas A&M (16) – Aggies beat Texas, but fall six spots. Life is rough sometimes.
19. South Carolina (19) – Have a chance to be TCU’s best friend by beating Auburn in the SEC title game.
20. Florida State (22) – Seminoles break six-game losing streak to Florida and move into ACC title game.
21. Northern Illinois (20) – Win over Miami (Ohio) would seal MAC title for Huskies.
22. Utah (24) – Utes pull one out of the fire in Holy War win over BYU.
23. Mississippi State (NR) – 8-4 best Bulldog record in a decade.
24. West Virginia (NR) – Slaughter of Pitt puts Mountaineers back in rankings.
25. Hawaii (NR) – Warriors only team to beat Nevada, which became a lot more impressive after this week.
Under consideration: Central Florida, Maryland, Navy
Dropped out: No. 21 N.C. State, No. 23 Arizona, No. 25 Iowa
Boise State bumps by TCU and Nebraska falls. Besides that, not much really happened.
1. Oregon (1) – Ducks get week off before Arizona/Oregon State homestretch.
2. Auburn (2) – This should be one of the more intense Iron Bowls in a long time, especially with the Cam Newton hoopla still at a fever pitch.
3. Boise State (4) – Had to bump up after Broncos killed Fresno State.
4. TCU (3) – Horned Frogs have walk-over season-ender at New Mexico.
5. Wisconsin (5) – Badgers run over Michigan to make statement.
6. LSU (6) – Struggled but won as usual. Par for the course really.
7. Stanford (7) – The Big Game with Cal was a big rout.
8. Ohio State (9) – Buckeyes survive against Iowa to keep Rose Bowl hopes alive.
9. Oklahoma State (11) – Can clinch berth in Big 12 title game with win over Oklahoma.
10. Michigan State (10) – Spartans stay put after scare against a bad Purdue team.
11. Alabama (12) – Would love nothing more than to spoil Auburn’s national-title hopes.
12. Arkansas (13) – Razorbacks have big game with LSU coming up.
13. Missouri (15) – Tiger defense pitches another shutout.
14. Nebraska (8) – Huskers’ suddenly feeble offense killed them against Texas A&M
15. Virginia Tech (14) – Hokies wrap up ACC title game berth with win at Miami.
16. Texas A&M (18) – Aggies topple Nebraska for fifth straight win.
17. Oklahoma (16) – A resume bereft of signature wins has Oklahoma in back of second-place Big 12 cluster.
18. Nevada (17) – Can make a whole bunch of teams happy if they pull an upset against Boise State this week.
19. South Carolina (19) – Gamecocks have rivalry game with Clemson before first SEC title game appearance.
20. Northern Illinois (23) – Huskies rolling up big wins in the MAC.
21. N.C. State (NR) – A win against Maryland puts Wolfpack in first ACC title game.
22. Florida State (25) – Seminoles try to break six-game losing streak to rival Florida.
23. Arizona (24) – Can really mess up BCS if they pull the shocker against Oregon.
24. Utah (NR) – Utes return to rankings after big win at San Diego State.
25. Iowa (20) – Hawkeyes now have lost four times in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter.
Under consideration: Southern Miss, Mississippi State, West Virginia
Dropped out: No. 21 USC, No. 22 Mississippi State