Before last week, Cajon girls coach Mark Lehman was lamenting the fact his team shouldn’t be in the Open Division. So his team loses to a very good Eisenhower team (albeit one that wasn’t in the Open Division watch list), and what happens? Eisenhower, with only 1 loss, is not in the Open Division watch list, but Cajon remains on the watch list even though the Cowgirls dropped in the 1A rankings. I guess Ike will have to beat Cajon for a second time for voters to really take notice.
Although IE defense was not was just as good as the offense in a 69-16 win over Orange County on Saturday. OC managed barely over 100 yards of total offense. Of OC’s 16 points, only 3 of them were from the OC offense: as field goal on their opening drive. Since then, essentially nothing. 13 of the points came from OC’s defense and special teams.
Of the 9 IE TDs, San Bernardino County represented well. 1 was on a pass from San Gorgonio’s Nate Meadors, another was scored by Cajon’s Armani Green. Chino Hills’ Trent Goens also wreaked havoc, getting pressure on the OC quarterbacks.
San Gorgonio’s Nate Meadors (who is undecided on a college) threw 3 passes for 63 yards and a touchdown, caught six passes for 43 yards, ran twice for 7 yards and returned kicks in Inland Empire’s 69-16 win over Orange County on Saturday
Christian Nunez scored two goals for the San Gorgonio Spartans (7-6-6 overall, 2-2 league) in the San Andreas League victory, 2-1, over the Indian Springs Coyotes (10-1-5, 1-1-2).
“We are better than our record would show. We just haven’t put it together until today,” said Spartans head coach Adrian Villalobos. “The San Andreas League is tough, anyone can beat anyone on any given day.”
Manuel Perez and Carlos Ortiz were each credited with an assist for the Spartans.
“Today, our offense was our best defense,” Villalobos said. “We out hustled them and we had a lot of possessions.”
The Spartans will play at 3:15 p.m. Wednesday against Rialto, who is in first place of the league. It will end the first round of league play.
The game also resulted in the first loss of the season for the Coyotes.
Aquinas football coach Chris Ybarra has stepped down, and assistant coach Jordan Brusig has been named his successor.
“The future is bright. There’s a lot of returning players as well as good athletes who will work hard. It’s going to be just like every other year, where our players will work hard in the offseason to prepare for the upcoming season. It’s going to be positive,” said Ybarra in the press release.
Ybarra said Brusig, who graduated from Aquinas in 2005 after playing for former head coach Josh Henderson, has been his assistant head coach/defensive coordinator the three years that Ybarra was the head coach. Ybarra was 14-16-1 as Aquinas’ head coach, making one playoff appearance in 2012. He will continue as the school’s athletic director and softball coach.
“I’m glad that I was the one that they picked to take over this job,” said Brusig in the press release. “…One of my biggest hopes for next season is to restore our winning ways, as well as the tradition and pride in Aquinas as a school and in the football program.”
When Ybarra took over as football coach, he did keeping in mind that he would find a successor.
“I wanted to keep continuity in the program,” Ybarra said. “Then find someone who could take over. I feel he (Brusig) is ready.”
My take: While I don’t know Jordan Brusig, I know Chris Ybarra and he had a lot on his plate. Not only was he head football coach, head softball coach, and athletic director, but he also ran a Saturday league for the Archdiocese. And he’s got 2 daughters at the school. So having someone who can devote more of his time to the football program will be good for the Aquinas football program, and for Chris Ybarra.
Confirmation today that Chino Hills boys basketball will be forfeiting 9 games.
Here is the word from school district spokesman Julie Gobin:
“It has come to our knowledge that a student-athlete participated in CIF competition despite being scholastically ineligible. Therefore, administrators at Chino Hills HS have chosen to self-report to CIF and to forfeit the 11 games in which the student participated. These forfeitures do not affect the wins achieved at the 2015 Bass Pro Shops Tournament of Champions this past weekend in Springfield, Missouri. Chino Hills High School has implemented a new system to ensure this does not occur again.”
Julie Gobin, communications director for CVUSD
The Huskies were 12-4 on the court and 2-1 in Baseline League play after a loss to Damien last night.
Representatives from Upland and Rancho Cucamonga say they have been notified of forfeits that included games against their teams, both of which Huskies won on the court.
So Chino Hills is officially 0-3 in the Baseline, heading into game on Friday vs. Etiwanda. And that will be tough one.
“This definitely changes things,” says Rancho Cucamonga coach Bill Burke, whose team is now 16-4 overall and 2-1 in Baseline. “It really does open the door for us, maybe even Upland.”
Upland Athletic Director John McNally said his school had been notified it was getting a win via the forfeit as well.
Of the 11 games the ineligible student participated in, nine were wins. So the Huskies are 3-13 overall, 0-3 in league.
All three head football coaching jobs in the Colton Unified School District were posted as being open on Thursday, but its entirely possible only one of the schools will change head coaches.
The one that will change is at Bloomington, where Marcos Fino stepped down after three straight 1-9 seasons.
“He felt that the players weren’t responding to him,” Bloomington athletic director Chris Brickley said of the reason why Fino stepped down.
Brickley said he feels like if the Bruins get the right person in place, it can be turned around next year.
“We want someone who is experienced in turning programs around,” Brickley said. “I think our preseason schedule is favorable. And we return quite a few starters. A turnaround is possible if we get the right guy.”
Brickley also said that a massive stadium renovation at Bloomington should make the job even more attractive to applicants.
The other two head coaching positions in the district, at Colton and Grand Terrace were also posted as being open on a job web site. But both of those coaches, Chris Mailo from Colton and Ryan Smalls from Grand Terrace are planning on returning.
However, because Mailo and Smalls are not on-campus teachers at the school, the positions are opened up each year. Should a teacher on campus meet the qualifications, they would get priority for the job.
Does this seem a little odd? And is there more to this story?
I would say yes, and no.
It is odd, because of the multitude of off-campus coaches each year, they aren’t all opened up every year at least in other districts they aren’t. This could be an exception because either it’s Colton district (and maybe they do things differently), or it’s football, because it’s the highest-profile sport.
It has been suggested that there may be more to this. But if Smalls and Mailo are being pushed out for any reason, I think they would know about it. And by all appearances, they don’t know about it and intend on being back.