I’ve heard so many different versions of this story today that my head is spinning. City News Service got bad information early from Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau and it spread like a virus through local news outlets.
As an example, KFI had to contend with a deputy at the SHB that was completely unfamiliar with the case. There’s a whole story to be told about the decimation of SHB, but I’ll save that for another day
In KFI’s case the result was that Eric Leonard’s story alluded to five men being named suspects in the case. In fact it’s two men, one teen boy and two teen girls.
KNBC did a nice job with the wanted part of the story but left out the particulars about the other arrests. (They also used a lot of SGV Tribune copy to round out their tale — thanks KNBC)
Here’s AP’s first story as it moved:
Date: 05/28/2008 11:45 PM
4 teens arrested, 5th sought for murder during 911 call
LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Four teenagers have been arrested and a fifth is being sought in the slaying of a Covina Hills woman who was killed while reporting a burglary to a 911 operator.
Los Angeles district attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison said Wednesday that four teens had been arrested and appeared in court earlier this month.
Robinson says they were charged with murder, and as adults. She wasn’t able to immediately give more specifics.
A charge sheet from the district attorney’s office identifies the teens as 19-year-old Christopher Santana, 17-year-old Christopher Stratis, 16-year-old Christine Alegre and 17-year-old Megali Fernandez.
A fifth suspect, 19-year-old Victor Maurtua, an alleged member of the El Monte Flores gang, remains at large.
Hsiao Hsu (shao shoo) was shot by intruders in her sprawling home in March while she speaking with an emergency dispatcher.