Pasadena searches for sex predator

This from a press release that became a short news story:

PASADENA – Police are searching for a man who groped a female student at Blair High School Friday.
The incident occurred about 8 a.m. on the third floor of the school’s main facility, Pasadena police Lt. Alex Uribe said in a written statement.
The suspect, “approached a female high school student from behind and groped her buttocks and genital area,” Uribe said.
The man ran away when the girl began to scream, he said.
The girl’s screams attracted the attention of other students and school staff, but the suspect fled the area before anyone else saw him, Uribe said.
The suspect is described as a Latino man, about 25 years old, about 6 feet tall, of heavy build, with a shaved head and and unknown type tattoo on his right arm, Uribe said.
He wore a loose-fitting green shirt and baggy blue jeans, he added.
Police scoured the area but were unable to find the suspect, officials said.

Fifty cops; no luck

Deputies with the Sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau hunted a hacienda Heights neighborhood for four folks suspected in a robbery. Interestingly enough, Sheriff’s homicide detectives also participated in the search as did human tracking bloodhounds.
In the end, the searchers had no luck. But we learned something interesting about schools in the Hacienda La Puente school district — they’ve become old pros on lockdown.
Here’s a link to Daniel Tedford’s story, which contained a startling admission from a school district administrator:

Students at Kwis Elementary School, Newton Middle School, Los Altos High School and Shadybend Elementary School were kept in classrooms from the start of school until noon while authorities searched for two of the four suspects.
School officials were not fazed.
“This is a very normal situation. They always notify our school district,” said Norman Hsu, school board member for the Hacienda-La Puente District. “These happen very often. This is not the first time. This is like the fourth time this month.”

Massage parlor ban extended

Arcadia extended its ban on Massage parlors for another 10 months, to “study” the issue. Several members of the City Council are worried that the parlors are fronts for prostitution. The vote is a happy ending for cops who have recently cracked down.

Here’s the top of Alfred Lee’s story on the issue:

ARCADIA – City officials have extended a moratorium on massage therapy businesses by another 10 and a half months.
Believing that such businesses are often a front for prostitution, officials first enacted a 45-day ban on Oct. 21 on all new license applications for businesses that supply massages as a secondary service – such as spas, acupuncturists and chiropractors.
Arcadia also stopped issuing new licenses to massage therapists; more than 700 such permits had been handed out in the past three years.
In addition to unanimously voting Tuesday to extend the ban, the City Council also added amendments that allow already licensed businesses and therapists to relocate.
“What we’re saying (to massage businesses) is that if someone leaves, you can’t get anybody new for 10 months, unless they’re already licensed,” Councilman Gary Kovacic said.

Christine Collins mystery solved

From the mailbag:

Mr Girardot,

Just wanted to let you know that the fate of Christine Collins has been solved.  Collins is listed in the death index under Christin Collins.  This linked her name to a Kathleen Collins in the social security death index.  Collins indicated that this was an alias she used after the high profile trial.  The time period fits and I’m fairly certain it is her.  Collins died on 12/8/1964.  There is also an interesting back story.  At one point in time, she was staying with James C. Borton in 1930.  Borton took in Collins because he and her father were members of the Knights of Pythias.  She also spent sometime in Oakland Californa in the early 1930′s, with friends they met when the family was in Hawaii.  At one point in time she took a telephone number under an assumed name as well. As it turns out, her sister, at  one point in time, was listed on a passenger manifest as visiting Hong Kong in 1930, in the midst of the events involving her son.  She is listed under race as Octoroon.  Even in my work as an Archivist, I have never come acrossed that term.  It’s a guess, but I believe that Aimee Dunne was of Chinese Origin, which I also thought was an interesting note. 
 
I’m planning on taking the research further and write a book.  I’ve spent too much time learning about this family, so I need to justify it somehow!

Best,

Chris Garmire
Archivist
California State Archives

Lockdown!

LA media outlets are all over this one.

Basically, police were serving search and arrest warrants this morning when their targets slipped through the radar. As a result, four schools in Hacienda Heights are on lockdown, while cops from several agencies search for the pair — identified as a man and a woman.

Sounds like the cops are getting ready to go door to door in a neighborhood near Three Palms and Hacienda Blvd.

I’ll have a map later. Here’s the top of our updated news story:

HACIENDA HEIGHTS – Four schools in Hacienda Heights are on lockdown Thursday morning to aid in the search for two robbery-and-assault suspects, according to authorities.

Kwis Elementary School, Newton Middle School, Los Altos High School and Shadybend Elementary school have all been shut down while authorities search for a man and woman suspected of robbery and assault near the 15500 block of Garo Street just south of Pomona (60) Freeway, according to Sgt. James Beamon with the Industry sheriff’s station.

Search dogs were going through a shed in a yard at Galemont Avenue and Three Palms Street and police had cordoned off at least four blocks in a neighborhood north of the 60 Freeway.

Helicopters and search teams were combing the neighborhood, according to Sgt. Stewart Sandecki.

Authorities were looking for a 25-year-old bald, male Hispanic with blue jeans and an LA Dodger’s jacket and a 22-year-old female Hispanic with dark hair, Sandecki said.

The two were suspected of armed robbery earlier this week, he said. When deputies served a search warrant on a house Thursday morning, the suspects were gone. But deputies received information that the suspects were still in the neighborhood, Sandecki said.

Deputies at the scene said the suspects are likely armed and dangerous.

The search for the suspects began around 6 a.m. Thursday morning, and the search was still going on 8:30 a.m., Beamon said.

Thursday’s column

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine.

Ten, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. Twenty-one, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31.

Thirty-two, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42.

Forty-three, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53.

Fifty-four, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64.

Sixty-five, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75.

Seventy- six, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96.

Ninety-seven.

Manling Williams confessed to stabbing Neal Williams 97 times after a domestic dispute at their Rowland Heights apartment in August 2007, a homicide detective told a packed courtroom Monday.

The testimony came during a 90-minute preliminary hearing for Williams, who is accused of using a Japanese ninja sword to slice her husband to death.

If convicted at trial, Manling could be put to death.

She is also accused of suffocating the couple’s two young boys, Ian, 3, and Devon, 7, with their own pillows as they slept. Sheriff’s Homicide Sgt. Donald Walls’ voice quavered as he told the tale.

No one except Neal’s killer knows how long it takes to stab someone 97 times.

It takes about four or five minutes to suffocate a child with a pillow. Ten minutes or so to suffocate two.

Until Monday no one knew the true extent of the horror that permeated the Williams’ home on that hot August night, thanks to a tight-lipped DA protecting what now appears to be a slam-dunk case.

Neal’s mom, Jan Williams of Whittier, waited months for a preliminary hearing to occur. For no apparent reason, delay after delay prevented the hearing while a judge in the case heard several sealed motions.

Throughout, prosecutors never adequately prepared Jan for what she would hear Monday.

From neighbors and press accounts, Jan had a vague idea of what happened. Neal’s death certificate simply put his cause of death as “sharp force trauma.”

The boys’ deaths were the result of “suffocation.”

Nothing and no one mentioned the volume of blood splattered in the bedroom or the hallway where Neal died.

No one told Jan that Manling confessed to waiting until Neal fell asleep and became vulnerable before she slipped on a pair of rubber gloves and slashed him across the chest with the sword.

No one told Jan about the look of terror frozen in the little boys’ eyes as they lay dead in their bedroom. She had to hear it in a sterile courtroom setting just like everyone else.

When the hearing was over, she posted a simple status message on Facebook: “Jan is in shock.”

The depth of her feelings ran much deeper.

“Ninety times,” she wrote in an e-mail. “My son was stabbed more than 90 times. I just don’t know how to even absorb that. How can you stab someone 90 times? I feel like I was hit with a physical blow. The rest of it seems like a blur.”

Tasing the pall bearer

I wonder who the deputy was?

19777-barneyfife-thumb-200x257.jpg

WILMINGTON, N.C. – A North Carolina sheriff’s official has apologized for plunging a funeral into chaos when undercover agents tried to arrest the dead man’s son — and used a Taser on him in the process.

It happened as the coffin was being loaded into a hearse. The officers planned to quietly arrest pallbearer Gladwyn Taft Russ III, The Star-News of Wilmington reported Wednesday.

 

Leftovers from City Hall

Sounds like a mash-up between Crime Scene and Leftovers.

Mayor Ernie Gutierrez of El Monte found himself in a bit of trouble Wednesday. He was arrested and held by cops in his own city on suspicion of spousal abuse.

The story has angered several residents of El Monte, who believe Gutierrez received some sort of special treatment when the DAs office decided not to prosecute after a day long investigation.

Here’s the bulk of the story. We report. You decide:

EL MONTE – Ernie Gutierrez, the mayor of El Monte, was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of domestic violence and detained for most of the day, police said.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office refused to bring charges against Gutierrez, whose term expires in 2009, El Monte police Chief Ken Weldon said.

Gutierrez did not comment on the incident.

Police did not identify the victim, or indicate how they received the complaint.

Gutierrez was held by police while the District Attorney’s Office reviewed the case. He was released when officials determined there was insufficient evidence to charge him.

Gutierrez was arrested about 2:15a.m. and was booked at L.A. County Jail, according to El Monte police Lt. Robert Roach.

“There was not enough evidence to move forward,” Weldon said. “We continue to fully support our mayor.”