El Monte standoff update*

*The boy was apparently shot in the thigh.

*The boy and the man, described as a male in his 30s wearing army-type fatigues, were seen inside a Rite-Aid drug store where they attempted to buy clothes. At some point the suspect got spooked and fled to a nearby restaurant where he barricaded himself and the boy in a back room.

Here’s live police audio from the scene.

What we know is here.

Apparently officers set off flash bangs — devices designed to create a diversion in a hostage situation. Shots were fired. At least one person was taken from the scene in an ambulance. ABC 7 reported it was the six-year-old.

Our story:

EL MONTE – At least one person was injured Tuesday after police rushed into a restaurant where a little boy was being held hostage.

A hostage situation has come to an end after Police moved in on a man holding a 6-year-old boy hostage in a restaurant bathroom.

The condition of the boy and the suspect are not known, but both were taken away from the scene in ambulances.

Police used a flash bang grenade and the sound of shots fired could be heard, according to reports from the scene.

The fire department was also called to the scene.

Police were at the scene of a hostage situation involving the 6-year-old boy who was grabbed by a man with a handgun, officials said.

Around 3 p.m. officers were called to the Santa Fe Plaza, at the 3800 block of Santa Anita Avenue, after a boy was reportedly taken by a Latino man in his 30s, according to Detective Ralph Batres of the El Monte Police Department.

The man took the boy into a nearby restaurant and locked himself in the bathroom with the boy, officials said.

“We believe his armed with a 45 caliber handgun,” Batres said. “At this time they are inside the Tai Pan restaurant and the situation is still ongoing.”

Police do not know if the suspect is the boy’s father.

The restaurant and surrounding businesses have all been evacuated, Batres said. Officers are currently inside the restaurant and would not confirm if they have made contact with the suspect

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email