Olympian’s shotgun returned

This from sportswriter Keith Lair:

Kim Rhode has her shotgun back.

The specially fitted 12-guard Perazzi over-under MX-12 was recovered on Monday by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department and returned to the four-time Olympic medalist on Wednesday morning. After going through the firearm Wednesday night, the 29-year-old Monrovia resident plans on taking it to her specially-built skeet range at the Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall for testing today.

“How lucky can I be?” Rhode said. “I figured that with as much publicity as we put out, I would never get it back. I figured it would be sawed off, at the bottom of a lake or chucked. As time went on, I figured I had less and less of a chance of getting it back.”

During a routine probation search at the residence of Gregorio Macias, 22, of Perris, officers found the shotgun in its case under his bed. He was arrested for possession of the shotgun.

Thursday’s column — What if the Raiders came to Diamond Bar?

I want to see professional football return to Los Angeles.

But then, sometime Wednesday morning, I broke out in a cold sweat and began pondering a problem, “What if it’s the Raiders?”

It got me thinking about broken down Winnebagos parked in ritzy Diamond Bar and Walnut neighborhoods; grungy bikers up and down Grand Avenue and Diamond Bar Boulevard, drunken orgies, beatings and empty bottles of Jack Daniels lining gutters on peaceful streets with names like Quail Summit or Snow Creek Drive.

I remember a tailgate party a few years back outside the Oakland Coliseum just before a game between the Raiders and the Buccaneers. Guys riding Harleys and Indians rumbled down Hegenberger Road and 66th Street, waving flags and shouting.

I can only imagine the shivers that course up and down the spines of the Casper Milquetoasts and other timid souls who came to Diamond Bar and Walnut seeking refuge from the madness of the big city.

Then came the visions of fans of all ethnicities clad in silver and black tossing back Mad Dog 20/20, Old English or Colt .45 malt liquors, bumping hip hop at full volume and generally terrorizing anyone wearing Steelers or Chargers or Broncos gear.

Actually, I remember covering a game back in 1990 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum where Raiders fans nearly beat a Steelers fan to death.

The hapless victim had been circling the stadium waving a GameDay program emblazoned with the Steelers three-diamond logo and shouting “Steelers! Steelers!”

When a guy from Agoura Hills was hauled into court and charged with assault, his attorney blamed the Raiders.

The attorney wasn’t alone, Hunter S. Thompson once described Darth Vader as a “punk compared to (Raider owner) Al Davis.”

In any event, the Raiders blamed beer and shut off booze sales the next week when the team played Seattle. LAPD officers patrolled the Coliseum armed with binoculars and ultimately kept the peace.

The next time I saw the Steelers and Raiders it was in Oakland. I was sitting in the end zone seats affectionately referred to as “Black Hole.” I sat behind “Darth Raider” and pretty near a guy wearing a grim reaper outfit and skull mask.

Some idiot with long blond hair and a day job sat in front of all of us. He took to waiving the Steelers trademark “Terrible Towel” in a ritual reminiscent of a suicidal matador surrounded by angry bulls.

“Fool,” I thought. I’m pretty sure he was beaten in the parking lot after the Steelers won 29-10.

Perhaps my apprehension is misguided.

“You also have to take into consideration its Oakland,” Industry Sheriff’s Sgt. Thomas Watson said. “It’s not San Francisco and not the city of Industry. If it’s the Raiders who come here, especially with the kind of pressure they are going to be under, they are going to be taking great pains to fit in the community.”

Whew. So much for that.

I can root for the Cardinals in peace on Super Sunday.

Police seek Radio Shack robber

Sheriff’s officials in Riverside County have released photos of an armed robber who’s apparently been making the rounds at area Radio Shacks, inlcuding one here in the San Gabriel Valley.

In addition to a Monday robbery at a Radio Shack in Perris in which employees were pepper-sprayed before the robber helped himself to the register, he’s also believed to be responsible for a Jan. 15 robbery at a Radio Shack in Monrovia and a Jan. 7 robbery at a Highland Radio Shack.

The pictures below were provided by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department. He’s described as a black man between 30 and 35 years old, about 6 feet tall and weighing about 200 pounds.

23081-RADIOSHACK1-thumb-300x385.jpg
23083-RADIOSHACK2-thumb-300x385.jpg

Feds probe Cardinal Mahoney in sex abuse scandal

The Los Angeles Times reports that the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles has opened up a probe of Cardinal Roger Mahoney for his role in the sex abuse scandal that rocked the Archdiocese in recent years. Here’s a portion of the story that appears on the Time’s Web site this afternoon:

23071-mahoney-thumb-150x223.jpg

The U.S. attorney in Los Angeles has launched a federal grand jury investigation into Cardinal Roger M. Mahony in connection with his response to the alleged molestation of children by priests in the Los Angeles Archdiocese, according to two law enforcement sources familiar with the case.

The probe, in which U.S. Atty. Thomas P. O’Brien is personally involved, is aimed at determining whether Mahony, and possibly other church leaders, committed “honest services fraud” by failing to adequately deal with priests accused of sexually abusing children, said the sources, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation.

Overnight notes

MONTEBELLO — A man was shot in the arm in the 900 block of Greenwood Avenue about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, police officials said.

LOS ANGELES — A state appellate court panel Tuesday rejected an appeal from an El Monte man sentenced to nearly 34 years behind bars for leading police on a high-speed chase that ended with a crash that killed a woman and her 19-year-old daughter.

 

also, here’s a couple things that might need to be followed:

Temple City — a traffic collision may have occurred Tuesday night, Lt. O Shea will have details.

Bloody crime scene in Bassett

23039-motel stabbing-thumb-300x204.jpg

The Valley Inn in Bassett was the scene of a stabbing Tuesday morning that left a woman severely injured and her boyfriend in custody.

Detectives suspect Lorenzo Latimer stabbed his girlfriend several times in the throat and body before escaping to Riverside where he was captured.

Latimere is suspected of causing a freeway accident on the 57 freeway as he fled the crime scene. Additionally, detectives said he tried to burn his get away car.

Latimer is being held in lieu of $1 million bail. He’s due to appear in Rio Hondo Court Thursday morning, according to official records.

Details emerge in Wilmington massacre

The proliferation of despondent adults killing their families in recent months took a turn for the worse Tuesday morning in Wilmington, where a family was shot to death by a father and husband who then turned the gun on himself.

Ervin Lupoe, 40, killed his wife, two sets of twins and another child before turning a gun on himself in the tiny town near the port.

Prior to the massacre, Lupoe sent a fax to KABC detailing his misery. Apparently, Lupoe and his wife had been fired from Kaiser for some sort of impropriety.

Here’s the closing paragraph of his letter:

“So after a horrendous ordeal my wife felt it better to end our lives and why leave our children in someone’s else’s hands, in addition it seems Kiaser Permanente want’s us to kill ourselves and take our family with us. They did nothing to the manager who stated such, and did not attempt to assist us in the matter, knowing we have no job and 5 children under 8 years with no place to go. So here we are.

“Ervin Lupoe

“(Handwritten:) Oh Lord my God is there no hope for a widow’s son!”

Here’s the latest story on the massacre from the Torrance Daily Breeze, and an excerpt:

Lupoe placed calls to the news desk at KABC Channel 7 and the LAPD’s 911 center just before shooting himself at the family’s home in the 1000 block of North McFarland Avenue, police said.

All of the victims were shot in the head, as was Lupoe, police said. Some of the family members were shot more than once.

Lupoe, an X-ray technician at the medical center, wrote in his letter that a supervisor rebuffed him when he tried to talk about his job status, suggesting,

“You should have blown your brains out.”

LAPD is handling the investigation. Covina police, who handled a similar case on Christmas Eve, have not been contacted for assistance or advice, officials said Tuesday.

“The Bishop” is found

No longer a missing man, onetime actor, and Pasadena gad-about Basil Tellou, aka “The Bishop” has been found, according to several sources.

Tellou, who played roles in several low budget movies in the 40s and 50s, turned up in Pasadena Tuesday afternoon. He was last seen at an inauguration party at Pasadena’s Jackie Robinson Center, that was attended by our own Larry Wilson.

 

The Wilmington massacre

From the Torrance Daily Breeze:

23007-victimsfamily-thumb-300x211.jpg

A Wilmington man, despondent over work issues,
killed his wife, three daughters and two sons before committing suicide
in his home this morning, police believe.

Though officials have not released the man’s identity, he is
believed to be Ervin Antonio Lupoe, 40. His wife is believed to be Ana
Elizabeth Lupoe.

Los Angeles police officers found the bodies of Lupoe and his family
about 8:30 a.m. in various rooms of the home in the 1000 block of North
McFarland Avenue

Police went to the home within minutes after Lupoe faxed a two-page
typed letter to KABC Channel 7 and placed a phone call to the station
to tell them he was going to kill his family, said Los Angeles Police
Deputy Chief Kenneth Garner.

Somebody at the station called the Harbor Division to report the
incident. While they were talking, Lupoe called 911 and told them he
had just gotten home and found that his whole family had been killed.

When police arrived, they could detect the scent of recent gunshots.

Police found the bodies of Lupoe and his wife, his 8-year-old daughter, twin 5-year-old daughters and twin 2-year-old sons.

SGV 211 update

I found this among today’s comments. It’s from Mike Alerich, our resident bank robbery expert:

Rumored that “S&P Bandit” has been seen casing several banks in
the San Gabriel Valley, same appearance and same “lucky” jacket, sorta
hard to miss.
AND a new bandito popped-up again;”Yosemite Sam”, White male, 30s, huge
full beard (fake?), hitting 1st Bank, again, on Valley Bl., Alhambra
Mon. 1-26 at 1000hr.
AND possibly Another serial bandit hit Another Citibank in La Cresenta Mon..
AND,in Riverside County Calimesa, the same serial bandit did violent
Take-Over at same WAMU, second time this month, same scary disguise
& big gun, assaults and pepper sprays innocent customer &
employees as they lay on the floor.
For longer list click ‘Bank Terrorism Alerts” on sidebar>