HACIENDA HEIGHTS — A small house fire Wednesday led officials to discover an indoor marijuana growing operation, authorities said.
The blaze was reported about 6:30 p.m. at a single-story house in the 15600 block of Senadale Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Ernie Barbosa said.
Firefighters extinguishing the fire notices several bedrooms in the home were being used to grow marijuana, the sergeant said.
More than 200 plants were found inside the house, he added.
No one was home at the time of the fire, he said, and an investigation into who was responsible for the pot plants was ongoing.
The blaze caused about $10,000 worth of damage to the home, officials said. It was likely sparked by the electrical equipment and lights used to grow the plants.
The home’s electrical system bypassed the electric meter, Barbosa added, so the house was stealing its power from Southern California Edison.