MONTEBELLO — Police asked the public’s help Thursday in finding a 14-year-old Montebello girl who ran away with a male companion. Rosemary Sandoval was last seen walking in the 300 block of Poplar Avenue between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. Monday, Montebello police Sgt. Mike Flores said in a written statement. She suffers from a medical condition that requires her to take prescription medication, police added. Police believe Sandoval may be with a friend identified as “Jose Sandoval,” though that may not be his true name, Flores said. “In the past few days, Rosemary has been in contact with her family via ‘Facebook’ and cell phone, indicating that she is well and does not wish to come home,” the sergeant said. “At this time, there is no indication of foul play, however, because of her medical condition and age, her family is concerned for her welfare.” Sandoval is described as Latina, 5 feet 5 inches tall, 190 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. She has tattoos reading “Perfect” and “FML” on her left forearm. Anyone with information is asked to call Montebello police at 323-887-1313, or 911.
PHOTO of Rosemary Sandoval courtesy of the Montebello Police Department.
A 7-month-old La Habra boy allegedly thrown from a fourth-floor parking structure by his mother earlier this week died Wednesday, officials. Noe Medina Jr. died at the the University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, where he was being treated for major injuries he suffered in Monday’s incident at Children’s Hospital of Orange County in Orange, Orange police Sgt. Dan Adams said. His mother, 31-year-old Sonia Hermosillo of La Habra, had been charged earlier in the day in Orange County Superior Court with attempted murder and child abuse causing great bodily injury, Deputy District Attorney Scott Simmons said. Following news of the baby’s death, prosecutors amended the charges against Hermosillo. “We’ll allege murder, of course,” he said, along with a charge of child abuse resulting in death. Hermosillo was charged Wednesday in the Central Jail court, and was ordered to return to court Thursday for arraignment, officials said. Hermosillo is accused of driving with her infant son to the fourth floor of a parking structure at CHOC about 6:20 p.m. Monday, Orange police and Orange County District Attorney’s officials said. The infant suffered from medical conditions that required him to be treated at CHOC on a regular basis, though he was not scheduled for an appointment that day. “Hermosillo is accused of removing the victim’s helmet and pushing her baby from the parking structure with the intention of murdering him with the four-story fall,” District Attorney’s officials said in a written statement. Immediately after, “Hermosillo is accused of walking inside the hospital, validating her parking and fleeing the scene.” The baby was rushed to a trauma center at UC Irvine Medical Center, where he remained in critical condition until Wednesday, when he succumbed to his injuries, Orange police Sgt. Dan Adams said. Orange police arrested Hermosillo about four hours after the incident when she was spotted by police, who were still investigating the scene, driving past the hospital. Her car was captured on surveillance cameras at the parking structure around the time of the incident. Meanwhile, the woman’s husband and father to the infant, Noe Medina, had called La Habra police to report them missing, officials said. Medina told the Orange County Register that his wife had been treated for postpartum depression in June, and that his son suffered from plagiocephaly, commonly known as flat-head syndrome, as well as congenital muscular torticollis, which causes his head to twist to one side. “She didn’t look at our son as normal,” he told the newspaper. “She didn’t accept him. She didn’t accept that he was like this.” Through physical therapy, the baby had been showing improvement, Medina said. Hermosillo, too, also seemed to be doing better in recent weeks, and he, “began to trust her.” Hermosillo and Medina have two other children, though their ages were not available. Hermosillo was being held without bail due to an Immigration and Customs Enforcement hold, officials said. Such holds are generally placed on suspects who are not in the country legally. — The Associated Press contributed to this report.
AZUSA — Bomb squad officials examined a suspicious box abandoned on an Azusa sidewalk late Tuesday, ultimately determining it contained only food, officials said.
Someone called police about 9:20 p.m. to report a 2-foot by 2-foot box, wrapped in plastic, that had been left on a sidewalk near Azusa Avenue and San Gabriel Canyon Road, Azusa police Sgt. John Madaloni said in a written statement.
The package could not be readily identified, and no one claimed it, the sergeant said.
“Taking no unnecessary risks in handling the package, officers summoned the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Arson Explosive Detail,” he said.
“They were able to safely inspect the package and deemed it safe for handling after discovering only harmless food items inside.”
The area was cordoned off for about 90 minutes during the investigation, police said.
EL MONTE — Police arrested a man Tuesday on suspicion of threatening to bomb an El Monte social services office because his benefits had been cut off, authorities said. Jose Guillermo Zepeda Parra, 32, of Harbor City was booked on suspicion of making criminal threats and bomb threats, El Monte police Detective George Fierro said in a written statement. The threat was made Aug 12. against the Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services office 3400 Aerojet Ave., police said. “Parra allegedly made criminal threats of bombing the DPSS building via telephone after being upset that his benefits were terminated,” Fierro said. He made similar threats to DPSS employees on March, however that incident, “didn’t rise to the level to constitute a criminal act,” he added. According to county booking records, Parra was being held in lieu of $50,000 at the El Monte Police Department’s jail. He was due for arraignment Thursday in El Monte Superior Court.
HACIENDA HEIGHTS — A woman was trying to rescue her 3-year-old adopted son from a house fire Sunday when both were killed, officials said. An unattended candle in the living room started the accidental house fire shortly before 11 p.m. in the 1700 block of Piermont Drive, Lt. Eduardo Hernandez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau. The names of the woman and child were not released Tuesday pending notification of family members, Los Angeles County Coroner’s Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said. The 48-year-old woman’s husband and 9-year-old daughter were injured but survived the fire in the 1700 block of Piermont Drive, officials said. “The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended candle in the living room, which ignited and quickly engulfed the house,” Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Thomas said in a written statement. No crime is suspected, and investigators ruled out arson, Hernandez said. After the flames erupted, “The woman’s husband saved their daughter from the flames and carried her outside,” Thomas said. Thomas said the man, 48, returned to the house to find his wife and the toddler. The wife had also returned to the home in search of the boy. “She realized her son was back in there and went for her son,” Deputy Tony Moore said. But both the woman and the boy “were unable to be rescued until firefighters arrived,” Thomas said. The woman and boy were taken to a hospital where they were pronounced dead, officials said. The man and his daughter were taken to hospitals and treated for smoke inhalation, as well as for injuries the father suffered during the rescue attempt. The father remained hospitalized in serious condition Tuesday, Hernandez said, while the girl had been released from the hospital. There were no working smoke detectors in the home, Hernandez said. He added that sounds which some nearby residents reported as gunshots during the fire were believed to be the sounds of the father breaking windows as he tried to rescue his children. A memorial of flowers, stuffed animals, balloons, photographs and candles continued to grow in front of the remains of the burned home Tuesday. A sign left by neighbors thanked others for their support, but asked that the candles at the memorial not be left burning unattended. Neighbor Omar Aguilar said he was shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the fire. “They’re going to be missed,” he said. “This block’s never going to be the same again.”
ALHAMBRA — A man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of stabbing his wife to death and wounding her sister earlier this month at a home the sisters shared in an unincorporated county area near San Gabriel. Sherman Dion Dorsey, 40, of Los Angeles entered his plea in Alhambra Superior Court, court officials said. He was ordered to return Sept. 20 for a preliminary hearing setting. He’s accused in the Aug. 3 killing of his wife, 45-year-old Gina Reano, and wounding her sister when she tried to intervene, investigators said. The surviving sister ran from the home and sought help the morning of the attack in the 5500 block of Walnut Grove Avenue, Lt. Mike Rosson of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said. Dorsey was found in front of the home suffering from self-inflicted stab wounds, he said. He was arrested two days later on suspicion of the killing and assault. Dorsey and his wife were estranged at the time of the killing, though they were in the process of trying to reconcile, investigators said. According to county booking records, Dorsey was being held in lieu of $2.07 million bail.
WHITTIER — A 20-year-old man was expected to survive Tuesday after he was stabbed more than a dozen times when a fight broke out at a weekend house party, officials said. The stabbing took place about 12:45 a.m. Sunday at a house in the 10100 block of Kentucky Avenue, Whittier police said in a written statement. “A fight between several male subjects erupted at the party, resulting in the victim being stabbed,” the statement said. It was not clear Tuesday what the fight was about. The victim, a Paramount man, was stabbed at least a dozen times in the torso, Lt. Randy Inman said. He was hospitalized in an intensive care unit and listed in stable condition. Two young men who were at the home when police arrived were initially arrested in connection with the stabbing, but then released due to a lack of evidence, Officer Bradley White said.
PASADENA — Officials have released the name of an 18-year-old Alhambra man shot to death in Pasadena late Monday. Marvin Laguan died at Huntington Hospital shortly after the 10:17 p.m. shooting in the 400 block of Mar Vista Avenue, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said. Laguan was talking to his girlfriend when another man approached and said something to to him before pulling a handgun on opening fire, Pasadena police Lt. Pete Hettema said. Two men who were seen running from the area were described as black men in their early-20s, between 5 feet 8 inches and 6 feet tall and wearing baggy clothing, police said.
ORANGE — A La Habra woman was behind bars Tuesday on suspicion of trying to kill her 7-month-old son by throwing him from the fourth floor of a parking structure at Children’s Hospital of Orange County. Sonia Hermosillo, 31, was being held without bail, according to Orange County booking records. Her son, whose name was not released, was fighting for his life at a hospital where he was listed in critical condition, Orange police Sgt. Dan Adams said. Witnesses called 9-1-1 about 6:20 p.m. to report seeing the baby fall from the parking structure at the hospital, 455 S. Main St., the sergeant said. “During the investigation, we learned from the La Habra Police Department that a man from La Habra had reported his wife, Sonia Hermosillo, and their 7-month-old son missing,” Adams said. While reviewing surveillance footage from the parking structure, investigators noticed a small SUV that had left the structure just after the incident, he said. The license plate indicated the SUV was registered to the same home where the La Habra woman and child had been reported missing, and it was being driven by a lone woman, Adams said. As officials continued their investigation at Children’s Hospital of Orange County shortly after 10 p.m., an Orange police officer spotted the wanted SUV pass by the hospital, police said. Officers pulled over the SUV and arrested Hermosillo without a struggle, Adams said. An empty child safety seat was still in the SUV. Detectives questioned Hermosillo before ultimately arresting her on suspicion of attempted murder of her infant son, Adams said. According to booking records, she was due for arraignment Wednesday in the Orange County Central Jail Court.
PHOTO of Sonia Hermosillo courtesy of the Orange Police Department
George and Jennifer Dejongh, 34, are shown in video below shortly after their capture in Mexico nearly two weeks ago. Jennifer is accused of taking her children to Mexico after temporary custody was awarded to their grandfather Rep. Gary Miller, R-Brea. She claims the children were abused by their father, Miller’s son Brian. An attorney for the Millers denied the accusations last week.