WHITTIER — A fire believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette scorched one condominium and damaged two others Saturday, authorities said.
The blaze broke out about 10:35 a.m. at a condominium complex in the 16000 block of Leffingwell Road, just west of First Avenue, according to Los Angeles County Fire Department officials.
The first firefighters on-scene called for backup after discovering the fire had spread into the attic of the building, Capt. Kevin Tobia said.
About 60 firefighters extinguished the fire in about 45 minutes, the captain said.
One firefighter was hospitalized after complaining of chest pain, the captain said. No other injuries were reported.
The blaze ignited in a second-floor unit, which sustained the bulk of the damage, but then also badly damaged the attic of the building, Tobia said.
Two nearby units were also red-tagged due to smoke and water damage, he added.
Officials estimated the fire caused about $150,000 worth of damage.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a cigarette left on a balcony and ruled accidental, Tobia said.