ALHAMBRA — A bomb scare forced a lockdown at Alhambra High School early Thursday — for the sixth time this year — though a search of the campus revealed nothing dangerous, officials said.
The bomb threat was made about 7:45 a.m., just as students were arriving for their first classes of the day, Alhambra Unified School District officials said.
Students were brought to the athletic field as police searched the school, ultimately declaring the campus safe shortly after 9 a.m., according to the district.
The threat was the sixth similar incident to take place at the campus, 101 South 2nd Street, since Jan. 1, police said.
The other threats were phoned into Alhambra High School by a male voice, Lt. Jennifer Weise said, though it was unclear if the same person was responsible.
In one of the cases, a backpack was found in an area where the caller indicated a bomb had been places, but the backpack was empty, officials said.
Details of the first bomb threat were not available.
The motive behind the bomb threats was under investigation, police added.
Though officials are becoming accustomed to visiting Alhambra High School due to bomb threats, police must take the threats seriously and respond accordingly each time, Weise said.
“You can’t get complaisant with it,” she said.
Meanwhile, the apparent prankster is drawing resources that could be better used elsewhere in the city, Weise said.
“It just taxes officers from being able to be out there and being able to prevent other types of crime, or doing enforcement,” she said.