Two shootings reported in Altadena late Friday

ALTADENA — Sheriff’s officials are looking into two separate shootings that left one man wounded late Friday.
The first shooting was reported about 9:55 p.m. near Loma Alta Park, at Lincoln Avenue and Loma Alta Drive, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Debra Herman said.
Three young men told deputies that two attackers, described only as heavy-set black men, fired 18 to 20 shots at them before jumping over a wall and fleeing, the sergeant said. None of the victims were hurt, and bullet casings were recovered at the scene.
During the investigation into the shooting, a deputy recognized one of the men who was shot at as a suspect in a robbery and arrested him, Herman said. His name was not immediately available.
Slightly less than an hour later, deputies were dispersing a large party in the 3200 block of Dabney Street when the discovered a man who had been shot in the arm, Herman said. No one called 9-1-1 to report the shooting.
The wounded 22-year-old man was hospitalized with a wound that was not believed to be life-threatening, the sergeant said. No description of the shooter was available.
The motives in the shootings were under investigation, Herman said, and it was unclear if the shootings were related.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man unhurt following car-to-car shooting in Pasadena

PASADENA — A driver escaped injury Saturday following a car-to-car shooting, police said.
The incident took place about 3:20 p.m. in the area of Mentone and Claremont avenues, Pasadena police Sgt. Ed Calatayud said.
A man was driving when a second car containing two attackers described only as black men in their 20s pulled up alongside his, the sergeant said.
One of the men inside the car opened fire with “multiple” rounds, striking the victim’s car but not the victim, Calatayud said.
A description of the car was not released Saturday afternoon due to the ongoing investigation, he said.
A motive in the shooting was not immediately clear.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Santa Fe Springs man killed in tractor accident identified

SANTA FE SPRINGS — Coroner’s officials Friday released the name of a 73-year-old Santa Fe Springs man killed in a tractor accident at a museum where he volunteered.
Ramon Arthur Gibson was pronounced dead at the scene of the 11 a.m. accident at the Hathaway Ranch and Museum, 11901 Florence Ave., Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
Gibson was riding a tractor at the museum, where he had volunteered for about a decade, when it overturned and pinned him, according to Whittier police officials. The cause of the accident remained under investigation.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Arcadia foot race to cause traffic delays

ARCADIA — Traffic will be affected in Arcadia next month during the Santa Anita Derby Day 5K Run & Walk, officials said.
The race, now in it’s 18th year, is to be held the morning of April 7, according to Arcadia police Sgt. Jason Davis.
“As a result of this event, vehicles driving on Baldwin Avenue between Huntington Drive and Foothill Boulevard will be delayed or diverted from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.,” Davis said.
Those who must travel through the area the morning of the race are advised to take alternate routes.
For more information, the Arcadia Police Department’s on-duty watch commander at 626-574-5156.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Senior citizen victim of “distraction-type burglary” in Sierra Madre

SIERRA MADRE — Two men posing as utility workers used a ruse to burglarize a senior citizen’s home Thursday, police said.
The “distraction-type burglary” took place about 3:30 p.m. in the 300 block of East Highland Avenue, Sierra Madre police Sgt. Joe Ortiz said.
Two men knocked on door of the victim, a woman in her 70s, and told her they needed to check her home’s water, Ortiz said.
One of the men kept the woman occupied in her backyard, while the second ransacked her home and helped himself to a significant amount of cash, the sergeant said. The amount of money stolen was not released.
The burglars were both described as heavy-set Latino men, one of about 20 years old and the other about 50, police said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Sierra Madre police at 626-355-1414.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Previously deported felon arrested during traffic stop in Sierra Madre

SIERRA MADRE — A previously deported felon is in the custody of federal officials and awaiting deportation again following a routine traffic stop Thursday, authorities said.
An officer pulled over Antonio Camarillo, 35, of Los Angeles about 7:30 a.m. in the 00 block of South Baldwin Avenue, Sierra Madre police Sgt. Joe Ortiz said.
Camarillo initially provided a false name to the officer and was arrested, the sergeant said. Further investigation revealed Camarillo’s true identity as convicted felon who had previously been deported from the U.S., Ortiz said. 
The conviction was related to a narcotics case, officials added.
Camarillo was turned over to officials from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Public call for help renewed in 2002 slaying of Schurr High School sophomore

MONTEREY PARK — It was more than nine years ago that 15-year-old Schurr High School sophomore Brenda Sierra left for school and never returned. 
Still, detectives continue turning up new information in the case and family members have not given up on finding justice for the slain girl and her killers.
Sierra, an East Los Angeles resident, left for a friend’s house on her way to Schurr High School in Montebello on the morning of Oct. 18, 2002, Lt. Dave Coleman of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said. She was kidnapped from the corner of Whittier Boulevard and Leonard Avenue in East Los Angeles.
The next day, her body was found beaten to death in the Valley of Enchantment area of Crestline in San Bernardino County. Police believe her murder was a message to the community from gangs not to cooperate with police…
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Update: Pomona man suspected in drive-by shooting at police station

POMONA — A Pomona man was behind bars Friday on suspicion of carrying out a drive-by shooting last week at the Pomona Police Department, authorities said late Thursday.
Nestor Gonzalez, 24, is accused of the March 23 shooting, which targeted the parking facility of the Pomona Police Department, 490 W. Mission Blvd., according to Pomona police Sgt. Patrick O’Malley. He was arrested Wednesday after five days of investigation.
Last week’s shooting took place shortly before 7:30 p.m., the sergeant said.
“A green Chevrolet Camaro — being driven by suspect Gonzalez, at the time unknown — drove by the Pomona Police Department and fired several rounds at the Police Parking Facility,” O’Malley said. Six cars belonging to police employees were struck by the gunfire, which also endangered homes near the police station.
The Camaro was not found and the shooter remained at large until Wednesday, when detectives identified Gonzalez as a suspect, searched his home and car and arrested him in connection with the crime, O’Malley said.
He was booked on suspicion of shooting at unoccupied vehicles and occupied dwellings, felony vandalism and other charges, officials said.
The gun believed to have been used in the shooting was recovered from Gonzalez’s home, the sergeant said.
Gonzalez was drunk and enraged over a previous contact with police when he carried out the shooting, O’Malley said.
“Alcohol was a major factor in the shooting,” he added.
“Thankfully, no one at the police department or in the adjacent residences was injured as a result of this incident,” O’Malley said.
According to county booking records, Gonzalez was being held in lieu of $250,000 bail pending a scheduled arraignment Monday in Pomona Superior Court.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man wrestles gun away from prowler in Glendora

GLENDORA — A man surprised a burglar at a friend’s garage Thursday and wrestled away an object the suspect pointed at him.
Glendora police Lt. Rob Lamborghini said the object turned out to be a handgun.
The disarmed burglar fled.
The encounter happened about 8:30 p.m. in the 100 block of East Bennett Avenue.
Lt. Jamie Caldwell said a friend of the resident entered the garage through a side door and saw the burglar.
“They wrestled,” he said, adding that the friend got the weapon from the suspect.
The man didn’t know it was a gun. Caldwell said the loaded handgun was in a sock.
Caldwell said it looks like nothing was taken from the garage.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Police dog sniffs out suspect in La Habra

LA HABRA — A man wanted on a $100,000 felony warrant for weapons violation ran from officers Thursday but was sniffed out by a police dog hiding in a closet.
He was arrested, treated for a dog bite to the arm and taken to La Habra jail.
The incident started at 1:44 p.m. in the 800 block of Chestnut Street.
La Habra Police Lt. Jeff Swaim said a narcotics detective saw the man in a car and tried to stop him. Swaim said it is a dead-end street.
The suspect got out of his vehicle and led police on a chase.
He ran into a home on Magda Lane but was found by the police dog around 2:15 p.m. Swaim said the residents didn’t know the suspect.
Christopher Sanchez, 25, of La Habra was arrested for the warrant and was being held at the station jail.
- Ruby Gonzales
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email