EAST LOS ANGELES — A 72-year-old man pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a charge that a strangled his wife at the the couple’s Montebello home last month, authorities said.
Baghdo Hayrapetyan denied the murder of 63-year-old Anahit Hayrapetyan in East Los Angeles Superior Court, officials said. He was ordered to appear in Los Angeles Superior Court May 22 for a preliminary hearing setting.
The husband is accused of choking his wife to death May 5 at their apartment in the 2000 block of West Whittier Boulevard, according to Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials.
Police found him suffering from self-inflicted stab wounds, investigators said, and he was hospitalized with major injuries, delaying the trial process.
A motive in the slaying has not been released.
According to county booking records, Baghdo Hayrapetyan was being held in lieu of $1 million bail.