UPDATED: Fire reported in South Pasadena

SOUTH PASADENA — A fire blamed on an electrical malfunction gutted a renowned fashion designer’s studio in South Pasadena Friday, officials said.
The blaze, at wedding dress designer Richard Tyler’s studio in the 500 block of Mission Street, was first reported just before 9:30 a.m., according to South Pasadena police and fire officials.
Firefighters could see the plume of smoke rising from the burning building, South Pasadena Fire Department Battalion Chief Philip Guiral said.
“Pulling out of the doors, we really knew we had something big,” he said.
The first officials on-scene called for backup from neighboring fire departments, Guiral said.
About 50 firefighters extinguished the flames in about an hour, he added.
One firefighter suffered a minor back injury during the incident and was treated and released from a local hospital, Guiral said.
Destroyed in the blaze were many high-end wedding dresses, including one designed for actress Julia Roberts, and other items such as expensive bolts of fabric from Europe, the battalion chief said. A dollar-value estimate of the damage was unavailable.
The studio itself, a concrete block building, remained structurally sound, he said.
The fire was initially believed to have been electrical in nature, though a more specific cause was not available Friday afternoon.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email