WHITTIER — An electrical fire caused about $100,000 worth of damage to the auditorium at Ocean view Elementary School Saturday, officials said.
The fire was first reported at 4:42 p.m. at the school, 14359 E. 2nd Street, according to Los Angeles County Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Andre Gougis.
It mainly burned in the attic of the auditorium, which doubles as the school’s cafeteria, Capt. Pat Scanlon said.
Firefighters extinguished the flames in about 45 minutes, he said.
There was no one present at the campus, and firefighters had to force their way in to the building, Gougis said.
Investigators determined the fire began with a sparking electrical outlet inside a compartment in the stage area of the auditorium, Scanlon said. It apparently smoldered its way upward along the wall until it reached the attic and spread.
No other buildings at the campus were damaged, and school was expected to be held as usual Monday, though the affected building will be off-limits, according to East Whittier City School District and fire officials.