UPDATE: South Whittier man fatally shot in his front yard two months after father’s slaying

SOUTH WHITTIER – A 48-year-old South Whittier man died after being shot in his own front yard late Friday, two months after his father was lured away from the same home and executed, authorities and family members said.
Coroner’s officials had not officially identified the victim of the 9:35 p.m. shooting in the 12000 block of Bona Vista Lane, in an unincorporated county area south of Whittier, however cousin Georgi Ortega identified him as Joseph “Joey” Telles.
His father, 71-year-old Joseph Telles, was found shot to death  Aug. 24 in his SUV, about a quarter-mile away in the 13900 block of Placid Drive, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s and coroner’s officials.
Ortega said the family, now devastated by the slayings of the father and son,  had no idea why the two men may have been targeted.
“We don’t know who could possibly have a vendetta against this family that they would do this,” she said.  In the meantime, she added that she is worried for the family’s safety.
Few details were available Saturday regarding the circumstances of the shooting that left Joey Telles dead.
“Detectives have learned that the victim was standing in the front yard of the location when unknown suspect(s) shot the victim multiple times in the torso,”  officials from the Sheriff‘s Headquarters Bureau said in a written statement.
“The victim was found with a handgun which was recovered at the scene of the shooting,” the statement said.
No further information was released Saturday morning.
“He died right there,” Ortega said, gesturing toward the driveway in front of the home as her eyes welled with tears.
Joseph Telles Sr. was found shot to death shortly after noon Aug. 24, sitting in his SUV alongside the 13900 block of Placid Drive, Lt. Holly Francisco of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said at the time.
An autopsy determined that he died from gunshot wounds to the head, and investigators ruled the death a homicide, coroner’s Lt. Larry Dietz said.
He had been trying to sell an SUV when a man arrived at his home to inquire about it, Ortega said.
Shortly after the 71-year-old man drove away with the potential buyer, his body was discovered.
“They drove around the block and they killed him,” Ortega said.
Nothing was believed to have been stolen from him and the motive was unclear, Francisco said.
Ortega described her cousin and uncle as “two wonderful men.”
Joseph Telles Sr. is survived by his wife, five children and grandchildren, she said. Joey left behind a wife and four children, and was proud to have become a grandfather in recent months.
The father worked as a truck driver before retiring, Ortega said. “My uncle was a very good father.”
His son worked in construction.
“He was a lovable guy. He always greeted you with a kiss and a hug,” Ortega said.
“They shared a common interest in mechanics, motorcycles,” she added.
Anyone with information on either case is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips can also be submitted anonymously via L.A. Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Photos:Joseph “Joey” Telles (top) and Joseph Telles Sr. (below) (courtesy)

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Suspect photos released in slaying of 19-year-old Montebello man

MONTEBELLO — Homicide detectives and family members have renewed their call for justice for a 19-year-old Montebello man shot to death in front of a convenience store in August after he opened the door for his killer.
Investigators Thursday released surveillance images of the suspect, as well as a composite sketch, in hopes of finding the killer of Kenneth Deras, who was leaving a convenience store in the 700 block of West Washington Avenue with a Pepsi in-hand when he was gunned down Aug. 18, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials.
A motive in the slaying remains unknown, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said.
Deras had just exited the store, holding the door open for the killer, and said, “Hi,” Nishida said.
There was a brief exchange of words, which seemed friendly, she added.
Investigators initially said the suspect may have made a statement regarding gang affiliation.
It appeared Deras tried to run when the gunman began shooting, however he was wounded and ultimately died in the parking lot.
The killer was Latino, 25 to 30 years old, 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall, 145 to 165 pounds, Nishida said. He has a mole on his right cheek and a tattoo on his inner right forearm.
He fled the area in a black compact car and fled the area, officials said. There may have been others inside the car as well.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips can also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Student bound in dorm room in second armed robbery at Cal Poly Pomona this week

Courtesy of Cal Poly Pomona

POMONA — A student was bound and robbed inside his dorm room at Cal Poly Pomona late Thursday in the second robbery carried out on campus this week, possibly by the same gunman.
The robbery occurred about 9:45 p.m. at the Alamitos Residence Hall, Cal Poly Pomona University spokeswoman Uyen Mai said. The male student robbed and bound during the incident was not injured.
An armed man of a similar description robbed two female students on a campus walkway between the dorms and soccer field Sunday, officials added.
“It is jarring for the campus,” Mai said. “It’s very rare on this campus to have any sort of violent crime.
In the most recent robbery, the victim was bound in his dorm room before the suspect, who was armed with a handgun, fled with computers, according to university officials and initial reports from the scene.
“We are determining how that individual got into the residence hall,” Mai said. Campus housing buildings are kept locked 24-hours a day.
“Only residents have keys,” she added. “Visitors have to be escorted by residents to get in.”
Officials described Thursday’s robber as a black man in his mid-20s, of thin build, about 6 feet 2 inches tall, and unshaven. He wore a dark-colored hooded sweat shirt and dark jeans, and smelled of cigarettes, Mai said.
Another robbery carried out by a suspect of a similar description took place about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, according to university police.
Two students were walking between the dorms and the soccer field, near South Campus Drive and Temple Avenue, when a man passed them, Cal Poly Pomona police said in a written statement.
“He then apparently circled back behind them and told them to keep walking, then demanded their belongings,” according to the police statement. “When challenged by the students, he raised his shirt to show that he had what appeared to be a handgun in his waistband. They gave him a purse and other property and he fled into the darkness.”
The robber was not found during a search of the campus with help from the Pomona Police Department, officials added. A man was briefly detained, but the victims indicated he was not the person responsible for the crime.
Due to the fact there are several bus stops in the area, police said the robber may have boarded a bus to flee.
Authorities described him as a black man in his 20s, of thin build. He wore a dark gray hooded sweat shirt and jean shorts.
The suspect descriptions in the two crimes bore striking similarities, leading police to investigate the possibility that the same man is responsible for both.
All three victims of the two robberies were adults, officials said.
Though activities continued as normal at the residence halls of Cal Poly Pomona Friday, several students said the incidents have left them on edge.
“He got into our home, basically,” said freshman Mauricio Martinez, who lives in the Alamitos Residence Hall.
Martinez and other students said that in the past, it has not been uncommon for students to hold the doors to the building open to allow others to pass through out of courtesy, and to leave the doors to their dorm rooms open to foster a friendly atmosphere.
“I’m pretty sure no one’s going to leave their door open anymore,” Martinez said.
Freshman Omar Rodriguez said he first learned something was wrong in the building Thursday night when a resident advisor told him to stay in his dorm.
“When I found out it was an armed robbery, that’s scary,” he said.
The first floor of the Alamitos Residence Hall, where Thursday’s robbery took place, is male-only, students said. The other two floors on the building are co-ed, though male and female students are separated into different wings.
In response to the recent on-campus incidents, the campus has increased police patrols, sent out alerts to students and increased efforts toward campus safety education.
Students are being reminded to never allow strangers into dorm buildings, be aware of their surroundings at all times, travel with others when possible, avoid dark and secluded areas, and program the campus police department’s direct phone number into their cell phones, Mai said.
Additionally, “Do not to be afraid of reporting suspicious activity or behavior,” Mai added. “If you’re in doubt, let the police figure it out.”
Authorities were working with the victims and a police artist to create a suspect sketch or sketches, Mai said. Once completed, “We are hoping to distribute that far and wide.”
Anyone with information was asked to call university police at 909-869-3070. Tips can also be left anonymously by calling 909-869-3399.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Two men wounded in shooting on Raymond Avenue in Pasadena

PASADENA — Two men were injured when gunfire erupted in a residential area Thursday night.
Pasadena Lt. Cheryl Moody said the men’s injuries were non-life-threatening.
The shooting broke out about 10:30 p.m. in the 1400 block of N. Raymond Avenue.
Moody said two men in their 20s were outside their residence when an unknown suspect shot them.
Officers who were in the area heard the gunfire and the station received several calls of shots being heard in the area, Moody said.
She said the victims were taken to a local hospital and were in stable condition.
Further details were not available early Friday.
- Ruby Gonzales

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Covina police arrest man following chase

COVINA — A driver fleeing from Covina police crashed into another car, ran through yards and hid in a van early Thursday.
But officers found his hiding place.
Andrew Rubio, 28, of Artesia was arrested on suspicion of felony evading police and felony hit-and-run, Covina police Sgt. Jim McDonough said.
The incident started around 12:30 a.m. on Glendora Avenue and Cypress Street.
An officer tried to pull over a driver for a traffic violation but the man didn’t stop, according to McDonough.
He estimated the blue 1990 Honda Accord hit 85 mph during the chase. The Honda collided with another car at Ghent Street in Glendora.
McDonough thinks one person in the car that was hit complained of pain.
The suspect got out of the Honda and ran. McDonough said the man jumped fences, walls then found an unlocked van to hide in.
Glendora and Azusa police assisted Covina police.
Rubio was being held at the Inmate Reception Center in Los Angeles on a $75,000 bail.
- Ruby Gonzales

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Authorities identify Whittier man killed in motorcycle crash

SOUTH WHITTIER — Coroner’s officials Friday released the name of a 55-year-old Whittier man who died in a motorcycle crash earlier this week.
Ronald Michael Allington died at a hospital shortly after Wednesday’s 3:05 p.m. collision at Mills Avenue and Reis Street in an unincorporated county area south of Whittier, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
He was riding a Honda Shadow motorcycle south on Mills when a woman making a left turn from Reis onto Mills in an SUV apparently failed to see him and drove into his path, according to California Highway Patrol Officer Al Perez.
Alcohol or drugs were not initially believed to be a factor in the crash, which remained under investigation, he added. The driver of the SUV remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Water main bursts along Camino Real Avenue in Arcadia

ARCADIA — A broken water main caused significant flooding Sunday in neighborhood near Tierra Verde Park, authorities said.
The large pipe buried beneath Camino Real Avenue just west of 2nd Avenue gave way about 2:30 p.m., buckling the roadway and sending water “gushing” up from the ground for about an hour and 20 minutes, Arcadia police Lt. Colleen Flores said.
City crews and fire officials stopped the flow shortly before 4 p.m., as officials were making arrangements to place sandbags down to protect nearby homes from the rising water, she said. 
The street was buckled and littered with mud an debris, however no damage was reported to homes or other structures.
It was not immediately clear when the affected roadway would reopen, officials said, however crews planned to work through the night in hopes of getting traffic back to normal by Monday morning’s commute.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Two cited for furnishing alcohol to minors during Azusa sting

62638-AZUSA ABC-thumb-300x225-62637.jpg
AZUSA — Police and state investigators cited two people for furnishing alcohol to minors Friday during a “shoulder-tap” minor decoy operation.
Two underage decoys working with Azusa police and the California Department of Alcohol Beverage Control approached 15 people at three Azusa businesses and asked them to purchase alcohol for them, according to Azusa police Sgt. Randy Schmidt.
The two people who agreed to furnish the minors with alcohol admitted the violations and were cited by police, the sergeant said. They will face potential fines and community service.
“In the minds of investigators, a successful operation would have netted zero citations or zero adults furnishing alcohol to minors,” Schmidt said.
The “shoulder-tap” sting was funded by a $26,000 grant the Azusa Police Department received from ABC in June, meant to provide for community education and enforcement of alcohol-related laws, officials said.
In September, Azusa police hosted ABC officials for a free, voluntary educational program for ABC licensees, their employees and applicants.
PHOTO courtesy of the Azusa Police Department
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email