Pasadena house fire blamed on spontaneous combustion of garden mulch

PASADENA — A fire blamed on the spontaneous combustion of garden mulch Thursday caused about $250,000 worth of damage to a Pasadena home, officials said.The fire ignited about 1:15 a.m. at a house in the 1500 block of Las Lunas Street, according to Pasadena Fire Department officials.A man and woman who were inside the home managed to get out of the home before firefighters arrived, Pasadena Fire Department spokeswoman Lisa Derderian said.Firefighters worked to extinguish the flames and protect nearby structures, officials said.Upon investigating the scene, officials determined the cause of the fire was, “spontaneous ignition of organic potting material stored outside, against the back of the house, Derderian said. Recent hot weather was believed to have contributed to the spontaneous combustion.The displaced residents found their own lodgings, officials added.The fire was the second in the past month in Pasadena sparked by spontaneous combustion.A Feb. 16 fire in the 2000 block of Brigden Road caused about $140,000 damage to a house and was caused by the spontaneous ignition of oily rags left in a trash container next to the home, Derderian said.

PHOTOS courtesy of Jamie NIcholson/Pasadena Fire Department

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email