UPDATED: Fire destroys Altadena garage

ALTADENA — A fire blamed on a cigarette destroyed a residential garage and caused minor damage to two adjacent houses before being extinguished by firefighters Saturday, officials said.
The fire was first reported about 12:13 p.m. in a detached garage in the 3500 block McNally Avenue, Los Angeles County Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Bernard Peters said. It was declared “knocked down” just over 15 minutes later.
A woman in her 50s was taken to a hospital for treatment of a medical condition, though she was not believed to have been injured in the fire, Peters said.
It was not clear if she was a resident of one of the affected homes.
No one was displaced as a result of the fire, fire Capt. John Knowles said.
The fire, which caused about $40,000 worth of damage, was believed to have been sparked by a discarded cigarette, the captain added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>