AZUSA — Two young men walking to a liquor store were attacked by a group and stabbed several times Thursday night.
Sgt. Dave Buckner of the sheriff’s San Dimas station said the men are in stable condition.
The stabbing in the unincorporated county area was reported to the station at 8:34 p.m.
Buckner said the two young men were walking northbound on Lark Ellen Avenue, approaching Gladstone Street when they were confronted by four to five men.
He didn’t know what led to the stabbing.
One of the victims, a 22-year-old, was stabbed in his ribs and back while the other victim, who is either 18 to 17, was stabbed in the arm, hand and back, according to Buckner.
Their assailants fled after the stabbing. He said the victims ran on Lark Ellen Avenue then Gladstone Street.
“After they were stabbed, they called a family member who picked them up and took them to a hospital,” Buckner said.
He said hospital officials notified a local police department which then called the San Dimas station.
The suspects were only described as four to five Latinos.
– Ruby Gonzales
***UPDATE – Deputies arrested a 17-year-old Temple City High School junior late Friday afternoon in connection with the bomb threats against Temple City High School and Longden Elementary School on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
TEMPLE CITY — A phoned-in bomb threat prompted the cancellation of classes at Temple City High School early Friday in the third such incident in the city in three days, officials said. A search of the campus yielded nothing suspicious.
Only a handful of school employees were on campus when the phone call was placed via 9-1-1 about 6:40 a.m., prior to the start of the school day, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Gil said.
“Luckily, the students weren’t there,” Gil said.
Classes were cancelled for the day as deputies embarked on a search of the campus, 9501 Lemon Avenue, sheriff’s officials said.
Deputies, some carrying rifles, brought bomb-sniffing dogs to the campus to help with a search. Streets surrounding the high school were shut down for about three hours as the investigation and campus search continued.
Deputies concluded their search and announced nothing troublesome had been found about 9:50 a.m., Lt. Loy McBride said.
The call, initially believed to have come from a cell phone, was made with a male voice, Gil said. He described it as similar to two others received by authorities in Temple City on Thursday morning and Wednesday night.
Sheriff’s officials said it was too early to say for certain whether the threats were connected or placed by the same person, however detectives were looking into the possibility of a connection.
The caller stated that three bombs had been placed on the Temple City High School campus, McBride said.
McBride declined to discuss the specifics of the ongoing investigation or the efforts to track down the caller.
“We’ve working on some possible leads,” he said.
Authorities Wednesday evacuated nearby Longden Elementary School just before the start of the school day after a bomb threat was phoned in to both the school and 9-1-1 shortly before 8 a.m., Sgt. Michael Martinez said.
Between 300 and 400 students who had already arrived at the campus were evacuated to a nearby Middle School as deputies searched the campus, ultimately finding nothing suspicious.
In that case, a male caller stated in the threats that two bombs had been placed on the elemtary school campus, Martinez said.
Deputies responded to another bomb threat at Temple City High School about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, Martinez said. The school, which was closed and vacant at the time, was searched by deputies. Nothing out of the ordinary was discovered.
Friday’s call was received via 9-1-1 at the sheriff’s Temple Station, which generally indicated the call was placed from within the station’s jurisdiction, though there are exceptions, Gil said.
The series of bomb threats comes on the heels of another series of six calls threatening shootings at hospitals, schools and a mall in the San Gabriel Valley. Gerardo Cortez, 26, of Monrovia, was arrested Sept. 17 by a multi-agency task force in connection with the string of threats, which took place between Sept. 9 and 12.
Cortez was previously convicted and served eight months of a 16-month jail sentence for making a false bomb threats in connection with a series of bomb threats in Pasadena in October of last year. After taking a plea deal and receiving sentencing under A.B. 109 guidelines, Cortez was released from jail in late June. He remained behind bars Friday in lieu of $300,000 bail pending an Oct. 4 arraignment in West Covina Superior Court.
A former California High School history teacher and junior varsity basketball coach received a 90-day jail sentence Thursday after admitting a sexual relationship with a former student, who was 17 at the time, officials said.
John Gilbert Orellano, 37, pleaded “no contest” to a felony charge of unlawful sexual intercourse in late July, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said. The plea was made as part of a plea agreement in which an addition charge of unlawful sexual intercourse, as well as two counts of oral copulation with a minor, were dismissed.
As expected under the plea agreement, Orellano was sentenced to 90 days in jail and five years of probation at his sentencing in Norwalk Superior Court, court officials said. He will not be required to register as a sex offender.
Orellano, who has been free since posting $240,000 bail three days after his arrest on May 15, was immediately taken into custody to begin serving his sentence, according to county booking records.
Authorities began investigating Orellano in March after learning of allegations that he had sent sexually explicit text messages to a 17-year-old female student at California High School, in an unincorporated county area south of Whittier, according to Sgt. Nancy Drake of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Special Victims Bureau.
As the investigation progressed, detectives learned that Orellano and the student had sex in February, prosecutors said.
Orellano was immediately placed on leave once the allegations came to light, and he resigned from his position two days later, officials said. He has worked for the Whittier Union High School District for two years.
ARCADIA — An armed man targeted iPhones Thursday during a robbery at a Santa Anita Avenue cell phone store, police said.
About 10 iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s phones were stolen in the heist, which took place about 9:20 a.m. at a shop in the 400 block of North Santa Anita Avenue, Arcadia police Sgt. John Bonomo said.
The robber entered the store and lifted his shirt to display a handgun tucked into his waistband, the sergeant said. He then demanded the employee “hand over all the iPhones,” Bonomo said.
The employee retrieved about 10 iPhones and gave them to the robber, Bonomo said. The robber placed the phones into a black bag and ran out of the store.
“A witness described seeing the suspect enter a blue-color, small SUV,” Bonomo added. The SUV was last seen heading south on Santa Anita Avenue.
Police described the robber as a black man in his 30s, wearing a black mask, a black hooded sweat shirt and dark jeans.
Trial was underway Thursday for a Whittier man and a West Covina man accused of the gang-related slaying of one man and the attempted murder of another along a set of railroad tracks in Santa Fe Springs in late 2009, officials said.
Erick Rodriguez, now-22, of Whittier and Jose Zapata, now-21, of Whittier are accused of the Dec. 8, 2009 killing of 18-year-old Jonathan Gonzalez of Corning, along with the non-fatal shooting of then-19-year-old Julio Serrano of Whittier, according to Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Officials and court documents. Rodriguez, who was 17 at the time of the crime, is being tried as an adult.
Jury trial for the men began Wednesday in Norwalk Superior Court with jury selection, which continued Thursday, court officials said.
In addition to the charges, the two defendants are accused of the special allegations that both men personally fired handguns in the crime, and that the shooting was gang-related.
The shooting took place about 12:20 a.m. along a secluded section of railroad tracks just west of the 8900 block of Dice road in Santa Fe Springs, Whittier police Officer Mike Dekowski said at the time.
Gonzalez died at the scene of the shooting, officials said. Serrano was found wounded nearby.
The following afternoon, investigators identified Rodriguez and Zapata as suspects in the shooting and arrested them in the 8600 block of Alburtis Avenue in an unincorporated county area just west of Whittier, police said.
According to county booking records, Rodriguez was being held without bail, while Zapata was being held in lieu of $2 million bail.
Firefighters had all but finished their work Thursday on a 268-acre brush fire that has burned since Monday, officials said.
Containment of the Madre Fire, which ignited Monday evening at the northern end of Azusa and extended into the Angeles National Forest, remained at 90 percent Thursday morning, U.S. Forest Service Fire Information Officer Nathan Judy said.
Though the region saw some rain overnight, it amounted to only drizzle in the fire area, Judy said.
“It didn’t do a whole lot,” he said.
Nonetheless, about 180 firefighters who remained assigned to the fire continued making steady progress as the completed the last portions of containment lines around the wildfire.
No active flames had been observed since Tuesday evening, Judy said.
Firefighters worked on the ground Wednesday and Thursday, as water and fire retardant drops from aircraft were no longer necessary, he said. A helicopter remained at the scene to assist firefighters in getting to hard-to-access areas.
A helicopter flight using infrared imaging overnight found three smoldering stump holes in a remote section of forest, which firefighters promptly doused with water, Judy said.
Firefighters remained on-schedule to fully contain the fire, he added. “We’re looking a 100 percent (Friday).”
San Gabriel Canyon Road, which has been open only to local residents since the fire ignited, was reopened to the public Wednesday evening, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation.
Pasadena officials often tout the city’s compassion for the homeless. Certainly the homeless have available to them an impressive array of services. But there are people like Francis Freeman and Aniya Jones, who have clearly fallen through the cracks. I met the couple Wednesday, Here’s a link to their story
I also shot a video which you can watch on YouTube. This is it:
PASADENA — A teen robbed a woman of her jewelry early Thursday before leading police to a stolen car, authorities said.
A 43-year-old woman was speaking with someone about 9:05 a.m. in the 100 block of West Claremont Street when the young suspect walked up behind her, snatched two gold necklaces from her neck and ran, Pasadena police Lt. Jason Clawson said.
Police spotted a young man matching the description of the robber a short time later in the 200 block of North Lake Avenue, Clawson said.
Not only was the suspect found to have the stolen necklaces, but officers also found a car key in his pocket that belonged to car parked nearby, the lieutenant said. The 1997 Honda Accord had been reported stolen in Pasadena.
The teen suspect was taken to juvenile hall on suspicion of robbery and auto theft, he said. His exact age was not available.
IRWINDALE — A crash involving an overturned car sent one person to the hospital and snarled the freeway commute through Irwindale early Thursday, authorities said.
The crash, initially reported as a solo-car wreck, took place about 7 a.m. on the northbound 605, just south of the 210 Freeway interchange, California Highway Patrol officials said.
Responding officers found a single car that had flipped over in the No. 2 lane, CHP Officer Francisco Villalobos said. An occupant was taken to an area hospital by ambulance in unknown condition.
The two left lanes of the northbound 605 Freeway remained shut down for about an hour following the crash.
GLENDORA — A man armed with a knife robbed a student of his wallet at Citrus College Wednesday night.
The victim wasn’t injured during the 3;20 p.m. incident on the campus at 1000 W. Foothill Blvd.
The robber pulled a knife and took the victim’s wallet which contained cash and credit cards, according to Sgt. Scott Strong.
Strong said the suspect was last seen running eastbound Foothill Boulevard.
The suspect was described as a Latino, about 25, clean cut, 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing 200 pounds.
– Ruby Gonzales