Transient, teen charged in bombing of Pasadena home on New Year’s Eve

PASADENA — A homeless man and a teenager charged with bombing a vacant Pasadena house on New Year’s Eve for thrills entered not guilty pleas in court Wednesday, officials said.
Steven James Rymer, a 28, and Hosea Daniel Dileoreto, 18, appeared in Pasadena Superior Court, where prosecutors successfully argued for each man’s bail to be increased from $250,000 to $750,000, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Ricardo spokesman Ricardo Santiago said.
They are each charged with arson of an inhabited structure, use of a destructive device and explosive to injure or destroy and burglary.
They were ordered back to court Feb. 6 for a preliminary hearing setting, he added.
Rymer is one of several transients who was staying illegally inside the vacant home in the 800 block of N. Oakland Avenue where the fire broke out about 7 p.m. Dec. 31, Pasadena Fire Department spokeswoman Lisa Derderian said.
He became acquainted with 18-year-old Hosea Daniel Dileoreto who lived several doors down, she said.
“The motive was thrill and excitement to blow-up a house even though it was (Rymer’s) illegal residence,” Derderian said. “Our Arson Investigator determined it was not part of a larger scheme or greater network of individuals.”
A multi-agency task force arrested Rymer and Dileoreto Friday while serving search warrants, officials said. A SWAT team and a bomb squad stood by in case additional explosives were discovered, though none were, and the men were arrested without a struggle.
The home, which sits about a mile away from the route of the Tournament of Roses Parade held New Year’s Day, had been vacant since April following the death of the owner, according to police and fire officials. The fire caused about $450,000 worth of damage to the home and its contents.
If convicted as charged, Rymer and Dileoreto each face up to eight years in state prison.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email