A Canadian national who fled his home country ahead of his trial on charges of molesting a disabled child in 1980, then was captured living under an assumed identity at a San Dimas mobile home park in 2013, has been returned to Canada to face justice, authorities said Wednesday.
After 35 years as a fugitive, and another two years spent fighting extradition back to Canada, officials returned Raymond Douglas Charles Macleod, 72, to Vancouver late Tuesday, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said in a written statement.
“For the victim in this case, justice has been a long time coming, but she can take consolation in the fact that her alleged assailant is now being held accountable,” said David Jennings, field office director for ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations in Los Angeles. “I applaud my officers and the ICE attorneys whose perseverance made this happen. We will not allow our country to serve as a safe haven for those who commit reprehensible crimes.”
ICE agents and Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies arrested Macleod Oct. 28, 2013, at a mobile home park where he had been living in the 1400 block of Camper View Road in San Dimas, sheriff’s officials said at the time. He was believed to have been living there for at least eight years prior to his arrest.
He’s accused of the 1974 rape of a 5-year-old girl suffering from cerebral palsy, ICE officials said.
After twice attempting unsuccessfully to flee Canada to the U.S. while freed from custody during his initial trial, Macleod was acquitted due to a judge’s error, sheriff’s officials said. He was ordered to appear at a new trial in January of 1980, but disappeared.
After he was recaptured in 2013, a judge ordered Macleod deported to Canada in March of 2014, authorities said.
“Macleod subsequently appealed the judge’s decision to the Board of Immigration Appeals and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals,” according to the ICE statement. “Ultimately, both panels concurred with the original ruling, paving the way for this week’s removal.”
PHOTOS courtesy of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
WHITTIER >> A Whittier chiropractor is accused of sexually assaulting two female patients who he treated at his home in recent months, police said.
Investigators arrested Steven Patrick Lowry, 31, of Whittier about 9:40 a.m.Wednesday at the Whittwood Town Center on suspicion of sexual battery, according to Whittier police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
Police arrested Lowry as he was on his way to work, Whittier police Officer John Scoggins said.
Police declined to identify what business Lowry works at, however his online resume lists him as an employee of The Joint, a chiropractic practice within the mall.
But both of the alleged incidents of inappropriate contact took place at Lowry’s home, “where he conducted some of his business,” Whittier police said in a written statement.
The alleged crimes occurred within “recent months,” Scoggins said. The alleged victims were in their mid-20s and early-30s.
Further details regarding the allegations against Lowry were not available Wednesday.
Anyone with information regarding the case is asked to contact Whittier police Detective Brenna Dineen at 562-567-9283.
According to officials and county booking records, he was being held in lieu of $40,000 bail pending a scheduled arraignment hearing Friday.
PHOTO of Steven Lowry courtesy of the Whittier Police Department.
WHITTIER >> A man suffered stab wounds to his head, neck and chest in an attack in a Whittier alley Sunday afternoon, police said.
Few details were available regarding the stabbing, reported just after 2 p.m. in the 7200 block of Whittier Avenue, just south of Wardman Street, Whittier police Lt. Kent Miller said.
The victim, a 27-year-old Whittier man, did not appear to be cooperating with investigators, Miller said. He only told police he was attacked by about five people armed with a knife and possible broken bottles.
A neighbor found the victim bleeding in the alleyway and called for help, Miller said.
The circumstances and motive in the stabbing were not clear.
Paramedics took the injured man to a hospital where he was listed in stable condition, Miller said. The investigation remained in its early stages.
DUARTE >> Three people escaped injury in a shooting on a residential cul-de-sac early Sunday, officials said.
The shooting took place about 12:30 a.m. in the 1300 block of Starhaven Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Martinez said.
Three victims were on foot when two attackers opened fire on them before fleeing in a car, the sergeant said. The group of victims suffered no injuries.
A detailed description of the suspects or their car was not available.
BASSETT >> Suicide is suspected after the body of a man was found hanged from a lamppost at a Bassett intersection early Sunday, officials said.
A man, who was estimated to be in his 50s, was found hanging from a lamppost just after midnight at Temple and Vineland avenues, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Toni Calton said.
Paramedics pronounced the man dead at the scene at 12:18 a.m., she said.
No foul play was suspected, she said. It appeared the man had placed a ladder against the post in order to climb it before hanging himself.
An autopsy will be conducted by the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.
PICO RIVERA >> A man broke into a relative’s home, fired a handgun and engaged deputies in a seven-hour standoff before surrendering late Saturday, authorities said.
Deputies ultimately jailed Adrian Robert Casey, 21, of Pico Rivera on suspicion of burglary and negligently discharging a firearm, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials and booking records.
The incident began about 2:45 p.m. at a house near Telegraph Road and Serapis Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. James Jordan said.
A family member living at the home already had already obtained a restraining order against Casey when arrived, Sgt. Raymond Cardenas said.
No one was home, and the suspect broke into the house, he said. He fired several rounds from a handgun while inside the house, prompting neighbors to call 9-1-1.
Casey refused to exit the home when deputies arrived, initiating a standoff, Cardenas said.
A SWAT team responded to the scene and deputies negotiated with the suspect for seven hours until he surrendered about 10 p.m., officials said.
According to booking records, Casey was being held in lieu of $135,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, scheduled Tuesday in Downey Superior Court.
PASADENA >> Police will be out in force Friday hunting for traffic law violators during a traffic safety crackdown, officials said.
The traffic enforcement program will take place from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. city-wide, according to Pasadena police Lt. Pete Hettema.
“Officers will be deployed at various locations throughout the city to look for violations including, but not limited to, primarily collision factors involving speed or red signals,” the lieutenant said.
“The need for driver education and enforcement is constantly on the rise due to the increased volume of traffic within the City of Pasadena,” Hettema added. The enforcement campaign is geared toward reducing crashes involving serious injuries and deaths.
Funding for Friday’s operation is being provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST >> Coroner’s officials on Saturday released the identity of a 20-year-old man who died after colliding with a dump truck while speeding downhill on a skateboard on Glendora Mountain Road in the forest north of Azusa.
Eric Pedersen of Clayton died in Friday’s 10 a.m. collision on Glendora Mountain Road, just south East Fork Road, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. David Smith said.
He was riding a longboard-style skateboard downhill at more than 20 mph when he crossed into opposing traffic lanes and into the path of a southbound dump truck traveling at 15 to 20 mph, California Highway Patrol Officer Rodrigo Jimenez said. He was run over by the truck and died from his injuries at the scene.
Pedersen was riding with two other skateboarders who were not injured, officials said. A third friend was following the group in a van.
The driver of the dump truck remained at the scene and cooperated with CHP officials, Jimenez said.
Pedersen had a University of California, Irvine identification card with him, coroner’s officials said.
He served as an administrator of the Facebook page for the UCI Longboarders, a group of skateboard enthusiasts.
Members hosted a candlelight vigil for Petersen Friday at UCI, and planned another Sunday night.
Pedersen’s own Facebook page includes several images of him rolling downhill on a longboard.
Officers from the CHP’s Baldwin Park office are handling the investigation.
SOUTH PASADENA >> Two men armed with handguns made off with cash, lottery scratchers and a 12-pack of craft beer in a liquor store robbery late Friday, police said.
The crime unfolded about 10 p.m. at Ocean Liquor Store, 2005 Huntington Drive, South Pasadena police Sgt. Tony Abdalla said.
The robbers entered the store and threatened the lone clerk, a man in his 60s, at gunpoint, the sergeant said.
They took money from the cash register, as well as from the clerk, Abdalla said. The robbers also helped themselves to lottery scratcher tickets and a 12-pack of Stone IPA beer before fleeing.
Abdalla said the two robbers were last seen heading out of the store toward the parking lot. No getaway car was seen.
Police described the robbers as Latino men between 20 and 22 years old.
One stood about 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighed about 145 pounds, Abdalla said. He had short black hair, wore all dark clothing and carried a stainless steel revolver.
The second robber was about 5 feet 7 inches tall, 165 pounds, wearing a silver jacket and some type of garment covering his face. He also carried a handgun.
Police were working on obtaining surveillance video footage from the store to develop additional clues, Abdalla said.
Anyone with information can reach South Pasadena police at 626-403-7270.
NORWALK >> A gunman fled with cash and cell phones after robbing a Rosecrans Avenue wireless store Friday afternoon, authorities said.
The robber showed up about 3:30 p.m. at Cricket Wireless, 11617 Rosecrans Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Shawn Kehoe said.
He brandished a handgun as he stole cash from the store’s register, as well as cell phones, Kehoe said. The robber ordered the two employees into the store’s bathroom before fleeing.
The robber was last seen leaving the store on foot, the lieutenant said. A detailed suspect description was not available.