NORWALK >> A man was hospitalized in grave condition Sunday after he was shot in a residential Norwalk neighborhood late Saturday, authorities said.
The shooting was first reported at 11:33 p.m. in the 14400 block of Claressa Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Hank Ortega said.
The victim, 33, was believed to be walking down the street when an attacker or attackers approached in a dark-colored vehicle and opened fire, the sergeant said.
Paramedics took the wounded man to a hospital, where he was listed in grave condition, Ortega said.
No further details regarding the circumstances of the shooting were available as the investigation continued Sunday afternoon.
Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Norwalk Station at 562-863-8711. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
Police took a woman for psychiatric evaluation after a rock-throwing vandalism spree that caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to cars and buildings in Sierra Madre and Arcadia early Saturday.
The woman, a 35-year-old Pasadena resident, was expected to face vandalism charges once released from the hospital, Sierra Madre police officials said in a written statement.
The alleged rock rampage unfolded between about 7 and a.m., officials said.
Sierra Madre police received reports that the windows of three buildings and one car in their city had been smashed with rocks.
“While officers from the Sierra Madre Police Department were investigating the incidents, they soon learned that numerous locations were also vandalized with rocks in the City of Arcadia,” according to the statement.
Several cars at the Westfield Santa Anita shopping mall, another car at the north end of Arcadia and a glass door at the Arboretum had also had their windows smashed with rocks, Arcadia police Sgt. Dan Crowther said.
Crowther spotted a car matching the description of the Sierra Madre vandal driving in Arcadia about 8 a.m., he said. He pulled over the car and detained the woman driving without incident.
“(A) witness positively identified the vehicle and the female driver as the one seen leaving the scene of one of the vandalisms that occurred in Sierra Madre,” the Sierra Madre police statement said. “During an inventory search of the suspect’s vehicle, numerous rocks — similar to the rocks found at the above crime scenes — were located inside the cab of the car.”
Police in Arcadia were still seeking witnesses Sunday to link the woman to the vandalisms in their city, Crowther said.
The woman appeared to be suffering from psychiatric issues and was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation, officials said.
She faces potential charges of felony vandalism once released from treatment, police added.
The value of the damage in Sierra Madre was estimated at more than $3,000. An estimate of the damage in Arcadia was not available.
PASADENA >> Police arrested a Norwalk man early Saturday on suspicion of gun possession by a convicted felon after he jaywalked in front of a police car, officials said.
Mark Espinoza, 24, was arrested following the 3:55 a.m. encounter at Fair Oaks Avenue and Mountain Street, according to Pasadena police Lt. John Mercado.
“Officers were on patrol when Espinoza crossed against the red light in font of them,” he said. “They attempted to talk about him for his violation and he took off running.”
The officers noted that Espinoza repeatedly reached toward his waistband as they chased him on foot, Mercado said.
When they ultimately caught up with him and placed him into handcuffs, the officers found a small revolver in Espinoza’s pocket.
Information regarding Espinoza’s bail and initial court appearance was not immediately available.
PASADENA >> Police jailed a 19-year-old man after he tried, but failed, to rob the same Pasadena pharmacy three times on Friday, authorities said.
Christopher Russell was booked on suspicion of robbery in connection with the ill-fated, day-long crime spree targeting the same CVS Pharmacy, 727 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena police Lt. John Mercado said. He was described as a transient known to frequent Pasadena.
He entered the store about 2:15 a.m., approached a clerk and demanded he open the register and hand over the money, the lieutenant said.
The employee refused and told the man, later identified as Russell, that the police were on his way. Russell left the store, but the incident was not immediately reported to the police.
Russell returned to the same store and approached the same cashier about two hours later.
Again, Russell demanded money from the register. And again, he fled when the worker told him police were coming, Mercado said.
As he left, he told the clerk, “I’ll be back.” The police were still not notified.
Russell made his third and final attempt to rob the store in the same manner about 11:40 p.m., Mercado said.
Employees called police, who quickly found and arrested Russell without a struggle.
According to Los Angeles County booking records, Russell was being held in lieu of $50,000 bail pending his initial court appearance.
PASADENA >> A man robbed another man at gunpoint and then bit him on the finger in Pasadena early Saturday, officials said.
The crime took place about 2:55 a.m. as Arizona man in his early-30s, who was visiting family in Pasadena, was walking in the 100 block of West Washington Boulevard, Pasadena police Lt. John Mercado said.
“The suspect approached him from behind, placed the gun to his temple and demanded the victim’s money,” Mercado said. “Fearing for his life, the victim surrendered his wallet and cell phone.”
The robber began to walk away when the victim turned around and tackled him, the lieutenant said.
During the scuffle, the robber bit the victim on the finger and managed to break free. He was last seen fleeing the area on foot.
Mercado said the victim suffered a “visible injury” to his finger but declined medical treatment.
Police described the robber as a Latino man between 18 and 25 years old, about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 200 pounds. He had short, black, slicked-back hair and a bandana covering his face.
Anyone with information can reach Pasadena police at 626-744-4241. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
— LA County Sheriff’s (@LASDHQ) June 18, 2016
ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST >> Firefighters made quick work of a 5-acre brush fire that ignited Saturday on a rifle range at the Burro Canyon Shooting Park along East Fork Road in the Angeles National Forest, officials said.
The fire, dubbed the Burro fire, was first reported just before 11 a.m. on a rifle range at the shooting range, along East Fork Road just east of San Gabriel Canyon Road, U.S. Forest Service Fire Information Officer Nathan Judy said.
The fire grew to 4 to 5 acres in size by early afternoon, but was already 20 to 40 percent contained, according to U.S. Forest Service and Los Angeles County Fire Department officials. County firefighters assisted their federal counterparts.
Officials announced the fire had been 100 percent contained shortly after 3 p.m.
Eight fire engines, as well as firefighting aircraft, were summoned to battle the blaze, which burned through light to medium brush on moderately steep terrain, he said.
California Highway Patrol officers shut down San Gabriel Canyon Road leading into the forest as Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies headed into the forest to prepare for any possible evacuations, should they become necessary, sheriff’s Lt. Elisabeth Sachs said.
Officials ended up evacuating the shooting range itself, but other nearby recreation areas, such as Crystal Lake, remained open.
All affected forest roads were reopened once the fire was extinguished.
U.S. Forest Service officials raised the Fire Danger Level in the Angeles National Forest from “High” to “Very High” on Monday ahead of this weekend’s predicted heat wave.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation. Judy pointed out that steel-core bullets are prohibited on the shooting range due to the risk of sparks igniting a wildfire.
Judy said the Burro Fire burned up against the already-charred areas scorched by last year’s 1,700-acre Cabin Fire.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
LA PUENTE >> A man suffered a gunshot wound to the back but was expected to survive after an argument escalated into a shooting Friday afternoon, authorities said.
The shooting took place about 5 p.m. in a residential neighborhood in the 200 block of North 5th Street, between Workman and Rowland Streets, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Robert Tubbs said.
A man in his 30s was standing in front of a home when the attacker approached in a white Nissan sedan, the lieutenant said.
After exiting his car and having a brief argument with the victim, the attacker pulled a handgun and opened fire on the victim several times, striking him once in back, the lieutenant said.
The shooter got back into his car and fled the area, Tubbs said. A detailed description was not available.
Paramedics took the wounded man to a hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, he said.
The motive in the shooting remained under investigation.
Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Industry Station at 626-330-3322. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
SAN MARINO >> Police arrested a Hollywood man this week on suspicion of burglary and other crimes after he broke into a San Marino business, officials announced Friday.
Jason Richard Lindaman, 37, was booked on suspicion of burglary, theft, possession of stolen property and being under the influence of a controlled substance following Wednesday’s 12:35 a.m. break-in in the 1400 block of San Marino Avenue, San Marino police Sgt. Tim Tebbetts said in a written statement.
A business owner called 911 after spotting the “silhouette of a person” inside an office next to hers, Tebbetts said.
A man was then seen exiting the business and running south along San Marino Avenue, he said.
Officers arrived on-scene in less than one minute and found the suspect, later identified as Lindaman, hiding in an alley behind the 2100 block of Huntington Drive, the sergeant said.
He was found to be in possession of items stolen from the burglarized business, as well as other items believed to have been stolen from two other victims in other cities.
“Lindaman was also in possession of a hypodermic needs and appeared to be under the influence of an unknown narcotic,” Tebbetts added.
According to county booking records, Lindaman was being held in lieu of $20,000 bail at the Alhambra Police Department’s jail pending his initial court appearance.
POMONA >> A soldier from Glendora who was on a tour of duty in Iraq with the U.S. Army when charged with molesting of a girl and the raping a woman entered a not guilty plea Friday, authorities said.
Fadi Haddad, 39, denied three counts of lewd acts upon a child and two counts of forcible rape during an arraignment hearing in the Pomona branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said in a written statement.
Haddad, who remains held in lieu of $5 million bail, was ordered to return to court July 28 for a preliminary hearing setting, she said.
“If convicted as charged, Haddad faces a maximum of 75 years to life in state prison,” Ardalani said.
The defendant, a reservist with the U.S. Army who works in military intelligence and translation, was deployed to Iraq when prosecutors filed charges against him on April 20, according to district attorney and Glendora police officials.
The army sent him back to Fort Hood, Texas, before he was ultimately returned to Los Angeles County to face the trial process in late-May, officials said.
Haddad is accused of molesting a then-13-year-old girl in 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2014, Ardalani said. He’s also accused of raping a woman in 2014, and again in 2015.
Haddad knew both victims prior to the alleged crimes, officials said.
Anyone with information can reach Glendora police at 626-914-9250. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
EAST LOS ANGELES >> A sheriff’s SWAT team helped Montebello police apprehend a wanted, armed felon without violence Friday after he barricaded himself inside an East Los Angeles home for five hours, authorities said.
Frank Javier Chavez, 28, of Los Angeles was ultimately arrested about noon following the stand-off, which began about 7 a.m. in the 100 block of Carmelita Street in East Los Angeles, according to Montebello police and Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials.
“Montebello personnel made contact with the suspect, however he barricaded himself in a rear dwelling,” Montebello police said in a written statement. “After several hours of negotiations, the suspect surrendered without incident.”
Following the standoff, deputies recovered three guns — two handguns and a rifle — from the detached bungalow in which Chavez had been holed up.
Deputies evacuated nearby homes as the standoff continued, including one woman who was invalid, Montebello polic Sgt. Julio Calleros said. The disabled woman was taken to a friend’s house by paramedics.
Chavez first crossed paths with Montebello police June 3, when he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, police said.
He was released from jail the same day pending his initial court appearance after posting $50,000 bail, county booking records show.
“On June 8, 2016 Mr. Chavez returned to the victim’s residence in an attempt to retrieve some personal items,” according to the police statement. “Mr. Chavez became angry at which point it is alleged that he made threatening statements, brandished a firearm and shot the victims vehicle several times before fleeing the area.”
Chavez was not found, and detectives obtained an arrest warrant related to the shooting incident.
Investigators tracked Chavez to Carmelita Street in East Los Angeles Friday morning, leading to the standoff and arrest.
Chavez was booked on suspicion of domestic violence, making criminal threats, shooting at a vehicle and possession of firearms by a convicted felon, police said.
Chavez, who was recently discharged from parole following a previous felony conviction, was expected to be held without bail pending his next court appearance, officials said.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Special Enforcement Bureau.