Father and son convicted in slaying of Baldwin Park woman

A father and son are awaiting sentencing after they were each convicted last week of charges stemming from the fatal shooting of a woman during a burglary at her Baldwin Park home in 2014, authorities said.
A Pomona Superior Court jury found Juan Carlos Santana, 45, of Baldwin Park guilty on Sept. 1 of murder, burglary and receiving stolen property, according to Los Angeles County Superior Court records and Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The jury also found true the special allegation that he personally fired a gun during in the Oct. 18, 2014, slaying of 63-year-old Patricia Sigala-Salva at her home in the 3700 block of Idaho Street.
Also convicted in connection with the case was Santana’s son, Andres Santana, 22, Ardalani said in an email. He pleaded “no contest” on Aug. 31, amid his trial, to a single count of voluntary manslaughter, along with the special allegation that a gun was used in the crime.
Juan Santana faces up to 40 years to life in state prison when he returns to court for sentencing on Oct. 25. His son is expected to be sentenced to 12 years in prison at his sentencing, scheduled on Sept. 19.
Juan Santana’s girlfriend, 47-year-old Deborah Curiel, has been convicted of receiving stolen property and acting as an accessory after the fact in connection with the case, Ardalani said. She’s scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 14.
Curiel was renting out a room in her home to Curiel at the time of the killing, Ardalani said. Her boyfriend, Juan Santana, was temporarily staying with her, along with his son.
(“Sigala-Salva) kicked all three of them out when she noticed money and jewelry missing from her home,” Ardalani said.
As a result of the dispute, Juan Santana shot her to death, officials said.
“It was argued during the trial that while Andres was an aider and abettor to the killing, it was actually Juan Santana who pulled the trigger,” Ardalani said.
The victim’s body was first discovered shortly before 2 p.m. on Oct. 18 after neighbors reported suspicious circumstances” at her home, Lt. Eddie Hernandez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau said at the time. Neighbors said they had not seen Sigala-Salva in several days, and that a man had been seen running from the garage of the home carrying beer.
An autopsy determined Sigala-Salva died from “multiple gunshot wounds,” and the death was ruled a homicide.
Investigators arrested all three defendants the following day, records show.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email