ROSEMEAD — Authorities Saturday released the name of a Rosemead man shot to death by a sheriff’s deputy while in officials said he was in the midst of a knife attack on his aunt.
Paul Aguilar, 21, died in Friday evening’s deputy-involved shooting in the 2400 block of Earle Avenue, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. Larry Dietz said.
His aunt, whose name was not released, was hospitalized in serious condition with injuries including stab wounds to her throat and back, but was expected to survive, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
Deputies first responded to the family’s home about 6:10 p.m. reporting that Aguilar was drunk and causing problems, Sheriff Lee Baca said Friday. But the deputies and family members determined the family could resolve the situation themselves and the deputies left.
The deputies remained at a nearby street corner when the sheriff’s Temple Station received a second call from the home requesting help with the drunken man, Baca said.
“While deputies were talking to family members, they heard a female yelling from the rear of the location,” sheriff’s officials said early Saturday in a written statement. “Shortly thereafter, they saw a female adult with a stab wound to her neck walk toward them from a side driveway. The deputies then saw a male walk from the rear of the driveway and attempt to once again, stab the female victim. This resulted in the Deputy-Involved shooting.”
After one deputy tried unsuccessfully to shock Aguilar with a Taser, another deputy fired a single gunshot, which struck Aguilar in the chest, Baca said. He immediately ceased his attack and fell to the ground.
Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene at 6:30 p.m., Dietz said.
The knife allegedly wielded by Aguilar was recovered, sheriff’s officials added.
A small memorial of candles and Rosaries stood Saturday on the driveway where Aguilar died. A teary-eyed woman who identified herself as Aguilar’s grandmother said she did not wish to comment regarding the deputy-involved shooting.
The woman injured during the incident had been released from the hospital and was doing well, family members said.
Aguilar has no criminal history listed in Los Angeles County Superior Court records.
The investigation is being spearheaded by detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, with concurrent investigations underway by the Los Angeles COunty District Attorney’s Office and the County of Los Angeles Office of Independent Review.
PHOTO of memorial at scene of deputy-involved shooting on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013.
UPDATE: Prosecutors reviewed the case against Jesse Runge on Nov. 15 and declined to file charges against him citing, “insufficient evidence.” Jeremi Weber remained in custody Nov. 18 in lieu of $200,000 bail and was scheduled for arraignment Nov. 19 in Pasadena Superior Court on burglary and drug-related charges.
MONROVIA — A Monrovia man whose home was burglarized by a friend late Tuesday armed himself with a sword in an attempt to take justice into his own hands, officials said. Both he and the alleged burglar, who suffered a minor cut in the confrontation, were behind bars Wednesday.
Jesse Roland Runge, 35, of Monrovia was booked on assault with a deadly weapon following the incident, while Jeremi Hoover Weber, 29, of Monrovia was booked on suspicion of burglary and drug possession, according to Monrovia police and Los Angeles County booking records.
Runge returned home shortly before midnight Tuesday and found his home in the 200 block of Valle Vista Avenue had been burglarized, Monrovia police Lt. Michael Lee said. Among the missing items was Runge’s iPad.
The tablet computer was equipped with tracking software, which Grunge used to determine the iPad was located at the home of his friend, Weber, in the 400 block of East Foothill Boulevard, Lee said.
But instead of notifying police, Lee said, Runge allegedly armed himself with a sword and a pocket knife and headed to the home of his friend to get his property back.
He confronted Weber at his home and began chasing him with the sword and pocket knife, Lee said. Weber suffered a minor cut to his forearm from the knife.
As Weber fled his home, he took with him a backpack which contained the allegedly stolen property, as well as heroin and prescription pills not prescribed to him, Lee said.
Police arrived to reports of a fight, detained both men and seized the backpack, Lee said. Weber was treated at the scene for the cut to his forearm before being taken to jail.
According to county booking records, Runge was being held in lieu of $30,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, while Weber was being held in lieu of $25,00 bail.
PASADENA — A man suffered a wound to his shoulder in a Pasadena shooting early Sunday, but did not appear to be cooperating with investigators regarding the attack, police said.
Officer responded about 12:45 a.m. to reports of gunshots heard in the Washington Boulevard and Marengo Avenue when they found a 24-year-old Pasadena man sitting along the curb with a gunshot wound to his shoulder, Pasadena police Lt. Randell Taylor said. The injury was not considered life-threatening.
His bullet-riddled car was came to a rest on the porch of a Marengo Avenue home, but did not strike the house, Taylor said.
The shooting victim gave police little information, the lieutenant said.
“He said hew as driving down the street and someone was shooting at him,” the lieutenant said. “He did not give us a description.”
Bullet casings were found nearby, Taylor added.
A motive in the shooting was not clear.
Anyone with information can reach Pasadena police at 626-744-4241.
WEST COVINA – A man ended up at a convenience store after being stabbed at a house party early Saturday, however the circumstances of the attack were unclear,police said.
Police responded to 7-Eleven, 2887 Valley Blvd., just before 3:20 a.m. after the a La Mirada man in his 20s with a stab wound to his upper torso was brought there by friends, West Covina police Lt. Dennis Patton said.
The group was looking for a hospital when they elected to stop at the convenience store and call 9-1-1, the lieutenant said. The injured man was hospitalized in stable condition.
Officers learned the victim had been at a nearby house party when a fight broke out and he was stabbed, however police were not able to find exactly where it took place, Patton said. No suspect description was available.
ARCADIA — An intoxicated man showed up at a hospital with stab wounds late Friday and told police he was injured while being robbed by two masked men in Arcadia, officials said.
Details were initially limited regarding the incident, which unfolded about 11 p.m., Arcadia police Sgt. Dan Crowther said.
A man was brought to the emergency room of Huntington Hospital by a private vehicle with lacerations to his shoulder and chest, the sergeant said. The wounds were not considered life-threatening.
The 20-year-old El Monte man told police he was attacked and robbed by two masked man at Baldwin Avenue and Huntington Drive, Crowther said. The “somewhat intoxicated” man was unable or unwilling to provide further details, and it was unclear what, if anything, was stolen.
AZUSA — A Danville man suffered stab wounds but was expected to survive after he was attacked by a group of men early Friday, police said.
The stabbing victim, a 20-year-old man, was found with two puncture wounds to his abdomen about 12:50 a.m. in the 600 block of East Eighth Street, Azusa police Sgt. Chris Grant said in a written statement. Paramedics took him to a hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.
“The sequence of event that led to the altercation is currently under investigation, as well as the motive regarding this incident,” Grant said.
Police described the attackers a five to six Latino men in their mid- to late-20s. One was further described as about 5 feet 10 inches tall, 200 pounds, with a shaved head and a mustache.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Azusa police detectives at 626-812-3200.
A driver allegedly shot at two sheriff’s deputies on the westbound 60 Freeway Wednesday night.
The deputies weren’t injured.
Previously convicted felon Jesus Navarro, 20, was being held in lieu of $1.07 million bail Thursday at the sheriff’s Industry Station, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials and county booking records. His city of residence was not available.
Lt. Ray Enriquez said the deputies saw a pickup truck speeding on Fairway Drive in Industry at 10:22 p.m. The patrol car followed the vehicle to the 60 Freeway.
He said the deputies tried to pull over the driver on the westbound 60 near the Azusa Avenue off-ramp. The driver fired at the patrol car and took off.
The pickup, described as a silver or gray Toyota Tacoma, was later spotted by the California Highway Patrol. It was stopped on the 91 Freeway near the 605 Freeway, Enriquez said.
Enriquez said the driver was arrested for attempted murder of peace officers and felony evading.
Deputies also recovered a weapon believed used in the shooting.
The westbound 60 Freeway was shut down from Azusa Avenue to Fairway Drive while deputies looked for evidence.
According to Los Angeles Superior Court records, Navarro was convicted in December of 2012 of possession of an assault weapon in Compton Superior Court.
- Staff report
A shooter or shooters unleashed a barrage of bullets in a Pasadena neighborhood late Saturday, injuring two women and striking three houses, police said.
The attempted murder took place about 9:20 p.m. on Marengo Avenue, just north of Orange Grove Boulevard, Pasadena police Lt. Jason Clawson said.
A 29-year-old Pomona woman was sitting in a car with her boyfriend, a 31-year-old Pasadena man, prior to the attack, Clawson said. The car was pulled over along the curb and the engine was running.
“Without warning, a bunch of shots were fired,” he said. “Dozens of shots were fired at their vehicle.”
The car was struck several times, and the woman inside was wounded in the arm, Clawson said. The boyfriend drove her to an area hospital, where she was treated for an injury not considered life-threatening.
Another woman who happened to be walking down the street also suffered a superficial graze wound to her arm, Clawson said. She was treated at the scene by paramedics and did not require hospitalization.
Also struck by the gunfire were three nearby homes, though no one inside was injured, the lieutenant said.
No suspect description was available in the shooting, he added, which was being investigated as possibly gang-related.
DUARTE — A man suffered two gunshot wounds but was expected to survive following an early-morning shooting in a residential neighborhood in Duarte Sunday, officials said.
Deputies responded to a report of gunshots about 2 a.m. when they found a 22-year-old man wounded in the 900 block of Lewiston Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Iganacio Somoano said.
The man was taken to Huntington Hospital in Pasadena where he was being treated for injuries not believed to be life-threatening, the lieutenant said.
Two men were seen in the area at the time of the shooting, however deputies were still investigating whether they were involved, Somoano said. No shooter description was available.
The motive in the shooting was unclear, however there was no indication the wounded man had gang ties, he added.
PASADENA — Pasadena police Sunday sought an Eagle Rock man accused of shooting as a car containing his 2-year-old son and the child’s mother Saturday afternoon near Robinson Park.
The woman, a 22-year-old Altadena resident, and the toddler were not injures in the shooting, though their car was struck by at least one bullet, Pasadena police Lt. Jason Clawson said.
The mother, father and son became involved in an argument about 2 p.m. Saturday at the park when the woman drove away with the boy, the lieutenant said.
Police said the suspect followed the woman in his own vehicle and opened fire on the victims’ car on Hammond Street near Raymond Avenue before fleeing.
Officers initially responded to reports of shots fired in the area but found no signs of the shooting, Clawson said. Police learned of the incident about an hour later after the woman arrived home and reported it.
The alleged shooter’s identity was known to police, but withheld Sunday as they continued seeking him, Clawson added.