UPDATED: Man killed, another wounded in Industry shooting


A car-to-car shooting on the border between Hacienda Heights and Industry left one man dead and another wounded on Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
The deadly gunfire was first reported about 2:20 p.m. at Clark and Ridley avenues in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
Bullets were fired from one white car into another, and possibly in both directions, Lt. Joe Mendoza of the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
The other car continued traveling just over three-quarters of a mile before it collided with another, uninvolved car at Turnbull Canyon Road and Don Julian Road in Industry, according to the lieutenant. The second car sped away and was yet to be found.
“When deputies arrived there, that’s when they saw there was a victim inside one of the vehicles,” Mendoza said. “That victim was suffering from at least one gunshot wound to the body. That person was pronounced dead at the scene.”
The identity of the victim, who had been driving the crashed white sedan, was not available pending positive identification and notification of family. He was initially described only as a man.
A second man inside the car was also found to be suffering from gunshot wounds, Mendoza said. He was taken to a hospital for treatment. An update on his condition was not available.
A third person inside that vehicle fled from the scene and was detained a short distance away from where that vehicle collided,” Mendoza said.
Detectives detained the third man for questioning.
No description of the shooter or shooters was available. The vehicle being sought in connection with the shooting was described only as a white sedan.
It was not clear Wednesday whether the shooting was an attack or a two-way gun battle, Mendoza said.
Investigators said they could not confirm initial reports from the scene that casings from at least two different bullet calibers were found.
Deputies continued scouring the multiple crime scenes into Wednesday evening, bringing in a search dog to look for any discarded weapons.
Investigators determined the shooting was preceded by a “disturbance” reported just before the shooting on a residential cul-de-sac in the 15500 block of Ladysmith Street in Hacienda Heights, Mendoza said.
Further details regarding the circumstances of the incident believed to have led to the shooting were not available.
Mendoza said the shooting was believed to be gang-related.
It was not yet clear if the incident was an attack or a two-way gun battle.
A man and three young children who were riding in the car struck by the wounded driver were treated at the scene for minor injuries, Mendoza said.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

PHOTO by Leo Jarzomb

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Two men wounded in downtown Pomona stabbing


POMONA >> A fight in downtown Pomona early Sunday left two men wounded, authorities said.
Two men in their early-20s suffered injuries not considered to be life threatening in the melee, which unfolded just before 2 a.m. in the 100 block of East Second Avenue, just east of Garey Avenue, Pomona police officials said in a written statement.
The suspect or suspects remained at large, and no description was available, officials said.
No further details were released regarding the circumstances of the stabbing, which police were investigating as attempted murder.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Pomona police at 909-620-2085. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Two wounded in Pasadena shooting


PASADENA >> A shooting in Pasadena early Saturday left two men wounded, one of them critically, police said.
The shooting was first reported at 12:34 a.m. in a residential neighborhood in the 400 block of Parke Street, just north of Villa Parke, Pasadena police officials said in a written statement.
Police received several calls reporting gunfire before encountering two men lying wounded in the street.
One of the victims, a man in his late-teens, was hospitalized in critical condition, police said. The second victim, a man in his 30s, suffered injuries not considered to be life-threatening.
“The preliminary investigation suggests this was not a random act of violence, and the motive remains unknown,” according to the statement. “Suspects have not been identified.”
No further details were available.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Pasadena Police Department at 626-744-4241. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Glendora man guilty of crime spree including San Marino home-invasion robbery, Glendora shooting

A jury convicted a 26-year-old Glendora man of attempted murder, robbery, burglary and a host of other criminal charges on Wednesday for a 2015 crime spree including a home-invasion robbery in San Marino and a shooting in Glendora, authorities said.
A Pomona jury deliberated for one day for finding Clayton Ruben Addleman guilty of 13 criminal charges, according to Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani. He was convicted of three counts of burglary with a person present, attempted murder, residential robbery, grant theft auto, grand theft, identity theft, forgery related to identity theft, assault with a firearm, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of ammunition by a convicted felon and petty theft. Jurors also found true the special allegations that Addleman personally used a firearm in the crimes.
He faces a maximum penalty of 52 years to life in state prison when he returns to the Pomona branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court for sentencing on Aug. 3, Ardalani said in a written statement.
Prosecutors said Addleman shot at, but did not strike, another man in his hometown of Glendora on Dec. 27, 2015.
“During the investigation, law enforcement believed Addleman may have been the suspected shooter,” Ardalani said. “Two days later, police located the defendant and took him into custody.”
Investigators soon found that Addleman was also responsible for a home-invasion robbery that occurred on Dec. 29, 2015, at a home in the 500 block of Huntington Drive in San Marino.
In that crime, “Addleman armed himself with a handgun, broke into the San Marino home while the residents were inside and then attempted to steal the victims’ vehicle before ultimately fleeing the scene,” according to Ardalani.
A terrified female resident hid in the closet during the home invasion, San Marino police officials said.
When arresting Addleman, police discovered ammunition, as well as checks and identifying documents in the names of other people, Ardalani said.
Addleman was already on probation stemming from another criminal case when he was arrested in connection with the current one.
He was convicted of possession of drugs for sales and possession of a firearm in by a felon in July of 2015, three months after police searched his Starcrest Drive home and discovered two rifles, four handguns, ammunition, 1,000 Xanax pills and a scale, Glendora police Lt. Matt Egan said at the time. Investigators has gone to his home to serve a warrant related to a previous conviction for possession of illegal fireworks in 2014.
Addleman received 180 days in jail and three years of probation for the 2015 gun and drug case, court records show.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

2 men sentenced for roles in 2015 Pasadena shooting


PASADENA >> Two men have received lengthy prison terms for the gang-related shooting of another man outside a Pasadena chicken restaurant in late 2015, officials said.
Robert “Chucky” Julio Arnaud, 28, of Los Angeles received 60 years to life in state prison on Wednesday for the Dec. 29, 2015, drive-by shooting outside a restaurant in the 800 block of North Lake Avenue, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Ricardo Santiago said.
A jury convicted him May 12 of attempted murder in connection with the shooting, which officials said targeted rival gang members, according to Pasadena police officials and prosecutors. The jury also found true the special allegations that Arnaud personally sued a gun in the crime, and that the crime was gang-related.
A 21-year-old man was wounded in the leg in the shooting, and a 19-year-old man escaped injury, police said.
Detectives found and arrested Arnaud in connection with the shooting the following day.
They also arrested Jose “Flaco” Garcia, 34, of Azusa, on suspicion of trying to help Arnaud conceal the crime.
Garcia pleaded “no contest” on Tuesday to one count of acting as an accessory to the shooting after the fact and one count of possession of a firearm by a previously convicted felon, according to Santiago.
Officials caught Garcia in the process of Washing Arnaud’s car the day after the shooting, “to remove any gunshot residue from the inside and outside of the vehicle,” Santiago said.
Following his plea, Garcia was immediately sentenced to 17 years and four months in state prison. If convicted at trial, Garcia could have faced a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in state prison.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

21-year-old man accused of attack on 93-year-old man at South Whittier park


SOUTH WHITTIER >> A 21-year-old Whittier man is accused of attacking a 93-year-old man and threatening him with a knife after the elderly victim tried to intervene in an argument between the suspect and another man, officials said.
Deputies jailed Mario Luiz Sanchez on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse and criminal threats about 2:30 p.m., shortly after the confrontation at Amelia Mayberry Park, 13201 Meyer Road in the unincorporated county area of South Whittier, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials and booking records.
The nonagenarian was at the park when he noticed to men arguing and tried to defuse the situation, sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
“(Sanchez) became aggressive and repeatedly pushed the victim, causing him to fall to the ground,” according to the statement. “The suspect stood over the victim while holding a knife, threatening to harm him if he did not stop interfering. The suspect fled the scene, promising to return with friends.”
Deputies from the sheriff’s Parks Bureau quickly found and arrested the suspect, officials said.
The elderly victim was treated for injuries at a hospital and had since been released, authorities said Thursday.
According to county booking records, Sanchez was being held in lieu of $75,000 bail his initial court appearance, scheduled Friday in the Downey branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man wounded in Uptown Whittier stabbing


WHITTIER >> A group of teens stabbed and seriously injured a man following an argument in Uptown Whittier on Thursday afternoon, police said.
The attack took place about 6:50 p.m. in the 6700 block of Comstock Avenue, according to Whittier police Lt. Steve Dean.
A 25-year-old man was walking down the street when he exchanged words with a group of young men in their late-teens who appeared to be gang members, Dean said.
The teens followed the man as he walked down a breezeway, he said. “A fight ensues. The victim gets stabbed in the thigh.”
The knife severed the victim’s femoral artery, the lieutenant said. The man was taken to a hospital in where he was in stable condition.
A description of the attackers was not available.
Anyone with information can reach Whittier police at 562-567-9200. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Police: Azusa woman escapes after week-long kidnapping, boyfriend jailed

AZUSA >> A woman escaped Friday night after being held captive for at least a week, during which time she was repeatedly beaten, by her boyfriend at an Azusa apartment, police said.
Investigators found and arrested her alleged attacker, 32-year-old Jack Albert Davis of Azusa, later the same night, according to Azusa police Sgt. Robert Landeros. He was booked on suspicion of kidnapping, false imprisonment, domestic violence and assault with a deadly weapon.
Police received a report about 7 p.m. of a “seriously injured” woman in the 400 block of East 8th Street, “who advised that she fled from her apartment after being held against her will for at least one week,” Landeros said in a written statement.
Officials learned the woman had been held captive by her boyfriend.
“During the time she was held against her will by the suspect, he allegedly beat her repeatedly causing serious injuries to her face and body,” Landeros said. “Due to the severity of the victim’s injuries, she was transported to a local hospital emergency room for treatment.”
Officers quickly found and apprehended Davis in connection with the alleged series of crimes.
Davis, who is already on felony probation, or Post-Release Community Supervision, under the terms of AB 109 due to a prior conviction, was being held without bail pending his initial court appearance, according to police and Los Angeles County booking records.
Court records show Davis, also known as Jack Albert Hutchinson, has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 2003, at age 18.
Davis was briefly jailed for violating his parol in March, and again in June, records show.
Prior convictions in Los Angeles County include petty theft with a prior theft conviction in 2012; drug possession and possession of drug paraphernalia in 2011; domestic violence in 2008; vandalism in 2005; as well as domestic violence, burglary, battery, assault with a deadly weapon and driving a car without the owner’s consent in 2004.
Davis was scheduled to appear for an arraignment hearing Tuesday in the West Covina branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man wounded in Azusa stabbing


AZUSA >> Rescuers rushed a man to a trauma center after he was stabbed in Azusa late Friday, officials said.
The stabbing was reported shortly before 7:30 p.m. at or near a convenience store at Citrus Avenue and Gladstone Street, Azusa police Cpl. Jason Kimes said.
The victim, initially described as an Azusa man, then showed up at Foothill Presbyterian Hospital in Glendora, where doctors decided to have him flown by helicopter to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center in Los Angeles for further treatment, he said.
An update on the victim’s condition was not immediately available, nor were details regarding the circumstances of the stabbing, according to the corporal.
Anyone with information can reach Azusa police at 626-812-3200. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Azusa men accused of attempted murder following baseball bat, knife attack


AZUSA >> Police jailed two Azusa men during an early-morning raids in connection with the baseball bat beating and stabbing attack outside a liquor store that left two men badly injured two weeks ago, authorities said.
Police, including SWAT team members, carried out search warrants at four locations in Azusa, two of them on the same property, Azusa police Detective Seth Chapman said.
Albert Ventura, 19, was booked on suspicion of attempted murder, felony vandalism and drug sales, the detective said. Eduardo Montesdeoca, 21, was booked on suspicion of attempted murder, according to Azusa police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
Both suspects were taken into custody without a struggle, according to Chapman. Investigators continued seeking additional outstanding suspects.
The arrests stem from an attack that took place just after 5:30 p.m. on May 22 in the parking lot of Benny’s Market & Liquor, 208 N. Azusa Ave..
The victims, a man in his 20s and a man in his 40s, were accosted by a group of men, the detective said. After a brief exchange of words, the attacker struck both victims in the head with a baseball bat.
Chapman said the attackers then proceeded to stab the younger victim before fleeing.
Ventura is also accused of smashing up a car belonging to one of the victims with the baseball bat, resulting in the vandalism charge.
The older victim has since been released from the hospital, but was believed to have suffered permanent injuries as a result of the attack, Chapman said. The younger victim was expected to make a full recovery.
The motive was unclear, Chapman said. There was no indication that any argument or disagreement immediately preceded the violence. It was unclear if the suspects were familiar with the men they allegedly attacked prior to the violent encounter.
Detectives continued following leads in the case until the identified Ventura and Montes as suspects.
While serving search warrants, police seized, “evidence that would indicate drug sales,” from Ventura’s home, Chapman added.
Ventura was being held without bail pending his initial court appearance, booking records show. He was free on bail at the time of his arrest, awaiting trial on charges of DUI, DUI by a minor and evading police in a motor vehicle that were first filed in March, according to Los Angeles County Superior Court and booking records. He was previously convicted of possession of drugs for sales in June of last year.
Montesdeoca was being held in lieu of $2 million bail, records show.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email