UPDATED: Azusa sex offender found nude, with pornography and vibrator, at Arcadia church

ARCADIA >> Police arrested a convicted sex offender Friday after he was found nude, sitting atop a vibrator and surrounded by pornography on the grounds of an Arcadia church, officials said.
Paul Allan McQuown, 55, of Azusa is accused of indecent exposure following Friday’s arrest, which took place shortly after 4 p.m. at the Arcadia Congregational Church, 2607 S. Santa Anita Ave., according to Arcadia police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
A groundskeeper at the church called police after finding McGuown nude, sitting on the vibrator under some trees on the church property, Arcadia police Lt. Mike Castro said.
“He had a lot of pornographic material with him,” Castro said. The nude man also had a knife within reach.
Responding police officers found McQuown and took him into custody, the lieutenant said. He was expected to be booked for indecent exposure.
According to Los Angeles County Superior Court records, McGuown has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 1992. He already had a pending case for failure to register as a sex offender at the time of his arrest Friday.
In recent years, McQuown has been convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia six times, failure to register as a sex offender twice and trespassing, possession of a controlled substance and being under the influence of a controlled substance, records show.
In the 2000s, McQuown was convicted of lewd conduct in public, possession of drug paraphernalia twice, and possession of a controlled substance, according to court records. In the 1990s, he was convicted of indecent exposure five times, as well as trespassing.
Despite his numerous sex-related convictions, McGuown is not listed on California’s statewide database of registered sex offenders.
It was not clear Friday why he was not listed, though not all convicted sex offenders are subject to public disclosure of their information on the database.
Though indecent exposure is often considered a misdeamnor offense, because of his prior convictions, McQuown was booked on suspicion of a felony, police said.
He was being held in lieu of $35,000 bail pending his arraignment hearing, scheduled Tuesday in Pasadena Superior Court.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man fatally struck on 210 Freeway in Azusa

AZUSA >> An unidentified man died after he was struck by two cars while darting across traffic lanes of the 210 Freeway late Friday, authorities said.
Drivers began calling 9-1-1 at 11:50 p.m. to report a shirtless, barefoot young man was walking in and across westbound traffic lanes of the 210 Freeway, east of Citrus Avenue, according to California Highway Patrol logs. Witnesses reported the man was running back and forth between the right shoulder and the center divider, and running in lanes along with traffic.
“While CHP units from the Baldwin Park area office were responding, CHP dispatch was advised the pedestrian had been struck by numerous vehicles,” CHP Officer C. Guin said in a written statement. Paramedics pronounced the man dead at 12:11 a.m.
The man was struck five minutes after the initial 9-1-1 calls, after he had made his way west of Citrus Avenue, according to CHP logs.
The drivers of a 2007 Chevrolet and a 2014 Kia that struck the man remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators, officials said. Investigators did not suspect intoxicated driving.
The man’s identity remained unknown Saturday, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. David Smith said. He was listed as a “John Doe.”
Officials shut down all westbound traffic on the freeway for about 30 minutes before gradually reopening lanes, logs show.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Baldwin Park office of the CHP 626-338-1164.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Deputy shoots at suspect near Azusa


AZUSA >> A deputy shot at a suspect at Lario San Gabriel River Trail Park in Azusa Thursday, though it was unknown if the suspect was struck by the gunfire, authorities said.
The incident unfolded about 2:10 p.m. at the park, 15701 Foothill Blvd., just east of Azusa, Deputy Tina Schrader of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement.
Sheriff’s Park Bureau Mounted Patrol deputies approached a man regarding county code violations in the park when he became “combative,” she said.
“The suspect injured one of the deputies with his vehicle in an attempt to flee the scene,” Schrader said. “Fearing for his partner’s life, another deputy shot one round from his weapon at the suspect in an attempt to stop the assault.
“It is unknown if the suspect was struck by gunfire,” the deputy said. “The suspect’s vehicle was struck on the passenger side mirror and possibly the passenger side window.”
Officials said the suspect was last seen driving east on Foothill Boulevard.
The injured deputy was taken to a hospital for treatment of “non-life-threatening” injuries, Schrader said. Further details regarding the nature of the injuries were not available.
The suspect fled the scene going eastbound on Foothill Boulevard and out of view.
Deputies described the suspect as a white or Latino man, between 25 and 30 years old, about 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, with a muscular build. He wore a gray shirt. His car was a white, mid-2000s, two-door Acura with tinted windows.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Parks Bureau Detectives at 661-294-3544. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Missing 82-year-old Azusa woman returns home unharmed

AZUSA >> An 82-year-old Azusa woman who went missing Thursday morning returned home Thursday night, authorities said.
Worried family members reported the woman missing about 10:30 a.m. after she walked away from her home in the 800 block of East Foothill Boulevard. She suffers from medical problems and requires medication, according to Azusa police Sgt. Andy Sutcliffe.
But police announced the missing woman returned home Thursday night.
“She was unharmed, healthy and in good spirits,” Azusa police reported on their Twitter account.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man delivers son inside family SUV in Upland

0216_NWS_SGT-L-DELIVERY1

UPLAND >> A 31-year-old father delivered his son in the family SUV early Sunday after his wife went into labor while en route to the hospital.
Bronson Chavez was born to Vanessa and Hugo Chavez at 1:44 a.m. Sunday in the garage of the family’s Upland home, according to San Bernardino fire officials and the joyful but exhausted father.
The newborn and mother rested comfortably at a hospital, Hugo said.
“They’re both doing amazing,” he said. “We’re really happy.”
Bronson joins sister Emma, 2, and brother Evver, 3, in the Chavez household. Hugo, a lifelong Azusa resident who works as a probation officer, recently moved with his family to Upland.
Vanessa was awakened by strong contractions about 1:30 a.m., her husband said. The couple gathered their two children scrambled into their SUV. But as soon as Hugo got the 0216_NWS_SGT-L-DELIVERY5vehicle out of the garage and onto the road, “(Vanessa said) she did not believe she would make it to the hospital, as the contractions became stronger and within one minute apart,” Hugo said.
Hugo said he called 9-1-1. The operator told him to continue to the hospital if he was almost there, but to stop and wait for an ambulance if he was not. He pulled back in to the garage to wait for paramedics to help deliver the baby. But the Bronson was on a shorter schedule.
“In a calm panic, my wife advised there was no more time and the baby was coming now,” Hugo said.
“I saw the top of my son’s head. My feelings at this time were indescribable, so I won’t even try to explain what was going on in my head.”
Bronson quickly emerged into the world, and his father’s waiting hands.
0216_NWS_SGT-L-DELIVERY2“I looked up and saw the calm look on my wife’s face, as if she was saying ‘good job.’” Hugo said. “I then turned to my two children still strapped to their baby seats and witnessed their wide-awake faces as they gazed and their new baby brother.”
The 9-1-1 operator asked if the baby was crying, Hugo said.
Bronson soon let out his first cries.
0216_NWS_SGT-L-DELIVERY4“I was happy to see that. He opened his eyes and started looking around,” Hugo said. “It was quite an experience.”
The 9-1-1 operator congratulated the couple, Hugo said.
San Bernardino Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Scott Fanus said a dispatch received the call reporting the impending birth at 1:41 a.m. Records indicated the baby was born at 1:44 a.m., before paramedics arrived.
The paramedics who arrived minutes later to deliver the baby were surprised to see the impatient infant waiting to greet them, Hugo said.
“They were all pretty shocked,” Hugo said. “They let me cut the umbilical cord.”
0216_NWS_SGT-L-DELIVERY3Hugo added that he was amazed by his wife’s collected demeanor during the hasty delivery process. “She was just very calm.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0216_NWS_SGT-L-DELIVERY6

PHOTOS(Courtesy): From top: 1.) Hugo Chavez, 31, of Upland, holds his newborn son, Bronson, minutes after delivering the baby inside the family SUV. 2.) A paramedics tends to mother Vanessa Hugo of Upland and her newborn son after a sudden birth left the family with no time to get to a hospital. Baby Bronson was delivered by his father in the family’s SUV. 3.)  Bronson Chavez was delivered by his father inside the family’s SUV in Upland on Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015. 4.) Chavez family members, clockwise from left: Vanessa, Emma, Hugo and Evver. 5.) Paramedics responding to a report of a woman in labor found the baby’s father had already delivered the impatient infant inside the the family SUV. 6.) From left to right: Hugo Chavez, Vanessa Chavez and Bronson Chavez.

 

 

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Azusa police hosting ‘Coffee With a Cop’ community meeting Thursday

0212_NWS_SGT-L-AZCOFFEE

AZUSA >> Azusa police are inviting the public to sit down for some coffee and conversation with officers today during a “Coffee With a Cop” event at Starbucks.
The casual meet-and-greet will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Starbucks, 118 W. Foothill Boulevard, Azusa police official said.
No topics or agenda’s are planned for the meeting, which is meant to offer an opportunity for community members to meet and get to know their local police officers.
For more information, contact Azusa police at 626-812-3200.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

9-year-old boy struck by car in front of Azusa elementary school

AZUSA >> A 9-year-old boy suffered a leg injury but is expected to be OK after he was struck by an SUV in front of Victor F. Hodge Elementary School in Azusa, police said.
Rescuers rushed the injured boy to a hospital by helicopter as a precaution following the 2:42 p.m. mishap in front of the school, 700 W. Eleventh Street, Azusa police Officer Mike Bires said in a written statement.
He was struck by a Chevrolet Tahoe being driven by a 65-year-old Azusa woman, he said.
“A preliminary investigation revealed that the Tahoe was traveling west on Eleventh Street when the child suddenly darted across the roadway, mid-block and between designated crosswalks, and into the Tahoe’s path,” Bires said. “The child was struck by the front of the Tahoe, and suffered a leg injury.”
The boy had just been released from school and was attempting to cross the street to reach his mother, Sgt. Rick Hayden said.
Paramedics took the boy to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center by helicopter as a precaution.
“Fortunately, the child was conscious and alert when speaking with the paramedics,” Bires said.
Ultimately, the boy’s injuries were determined to be minor, Hayden said.
The driver of the SUV, as well as a passenger, were not injured, Bires said.
The crash remained under investigation, he said, however there were no indications drugs or alcohol played a role.
Bires reminded drivers to always keep speeds under 25 mph near schools. “Be very alert for any small children who might do exactly what happened in this case, and dart into the roadway.”
The officer also reminded parents to instill in their children how to safely cross the street, and always use crosswalks when available.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Man who went missing in Azusa found safe

AZUSA >> An 18-year-old mentally disabled man who went missing in Azusa Saturday was found safe Sunday, police said.
Christian Jackson was reported missing after he disappeared about 11:15 a.m. from the 300 block of South Enid Avenue, Azusa police officials said in a written statement.
After reaching out to the public for help, police announced Sunday that Jackson had been found safe and sound.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Police: Gang member found with loaded, stolen gun in Azusa

0126_NWS_SGT-L-AZARREST

AZUSA >> A gang member with a lengthy criminal record who was released from earlier this month under AB 109 guidelines was back behind bars Sunday after being caught with a stolen and loaded handgun, police said.
Officers chased down and arrested Anthony Joseph Zepeda, 23, of West Covina about 11:30 p.m. Friday after he ran from officers and discarded a handgun in the 700 block of South Donna Beth Avenue, according to Azusa police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
Two officers noticed two “suspicious” men standing near a parked car, Sgt. Andy Sutcliffe said in a written statement.
“When the officers began investigating, the men split up and ran in different directions,” Sutcliffe said.
Zepeda jumped residential fences and ran through backyards before officers captured him, the sergeant said.
“Officers learned while running from them, he through a 9mm handgun on the roof of a residence,” he said. The gun, which was loaded with 10 rounds of ammunition, had been reported stolen in Glendora.
The second man who also fled from police was not found.
According to police and booking records, Zepeda was released from county jail Jan. 13 under the guidelines of AB 109, also known as California’s 2011 Public Safety Realignment. The legislation shifts custody and post-release supervision of convicted felons from state prisons and parole agents to county jails and probation departments.
He was released after serving less than three months of a six-month sentence he received in October of 2014 for violating his probation, records show.
Zepeda, who wears the name of area street gang “KHA” or “Kings Have Arrived” tattooed on his chin, has an extensive criminal history dating back to 2010, according to Los Angeles County Superior Court records.
KHA began as a tagging crew, officials said. The group was declared a criminal street gang by prosecutors in 2008 after two of it’s members were linked to the fatal 2007 shooting of a 14-year-old boy and his father in front of their Baldwin Park home.
Zepeda’s previous convictions include drug possession in 2010 and 2014; possession of drug paraphernalia in 2010 and 2012; being under the influence of drugs in 2011; fleeing police in a vehicle in 2011; and domestic battery in 2011 and 2014, court records show.
Zepeda was being held without bail pending a scheduled appearance Tuesday in West Covina Superior Court.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Two arrested after leading Azusa police on chase in stolen car

AZUSA >> Police arrested two people Friday afternoon after they led officers on a chase in a stolen car, then ran through an elementary school before being captured, authorities said.
Parolee Marcus Paul Flores, 21, of Pomona and Hugo Alberto Ramirez, 23, of Duarte, who is on probation, were both being held without bail, according to Azusa police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
The incident kicked off about 3 p.m. when an officer tried to pull over a 1999 Honda Civic due to expired registration tags, Azusa police Officer Mike Bires said in a written statement.
“Unknown to the officer, the Honda had been stolen from Temple City the day before,” Bires said.
The driver, later identified as Flores, led the officer on a chase for nearly a mile before crashing into a parked car in the 900 block of East Haltern Avenue, police said. Both Flores and his passenger, Ramirez, ran from the crashed car.
Officer immediately captured Flores, police said. Ramirez ran through Powell Elementary School and into an apartment complex in the 300 block of North Calera Avenue.
“The school staff immediately placed the school on ‘lock down,’ confining the students to their classrooms,” Bires said.
“Police officers immediately surrounded the apartment complex and conducted an extensive foot search for Ramirez,” the officer said. “The officers’ diligence paid off when they located Ramirez trying to conceal himself in a trash dumpster enclosure.”
No students at the school were endangered because of the incident, Bires said.
Flores is accused of auto theft, and was also being held on a no-bail parole warrant, Bires said. Ramirez is accused of resisting arrest and obstructing police, as well as violating his probation.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email