Ex-Baldwin Park police officer pleads ‘no contest’ to filing false police report during drug arrest

A former Baldwin Park police officer pleaded “no contest” Thursday to an accusation of filing a false police report in connection with a 20013 drug arrest.
Matthew DeHoog, 29, entered the plea in Los Angeles Superior Court, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Jane Robison said.
Judge Rand S. Rubin immediately sentenced the former police officer to three years of formal probation and 300 hours of community service, Robison said.
The plea came just as a jury trial in DeHoog’s case was scheduled to begin, she said.
If convicted by a jury, DeHoog could have faced up to three years in state prison.
The false police report was related to a July 31, 2013, arrest the officer made for the alleged crime of possessing methamphetamine, authorities said.
Police and prosecutors released few details were released about the accusation against DeHoog prior to his trial, and the handling prosecutor could not be reached for comment late Thursday.
DeHoog’s employment with the Baldwin Park Police Department ended in January of 2014, about a month before he was formally charged.
Baldwin Park Police Chief Mike Taylor declined to say whether DeHoog resigned or was terminated, citing privacy laws.
The chief could not be reached for comment late Thursday.
DeHoog remained free on his own recognizance leading up to his trial date,

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Ex-Arcadia police officer pleads ‘no contest’ to embezzling from fellow officers

A former Arcadia police officer pleaded “no contest” Friday to embezzling more than $40,000 from the Arcadia Police Officers’ Association to buy motorcycle parts and other personal items, officials said.
Christian Blesch, 36, entered the plea Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court at a scheduled pre-trial conference, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said in a written statement. He had been charged with one count of grand theft by embezzlement.
Under a plea agreement, Blesch was expected to be sentenced to 180 days in county jail and three years of probation when he returns to court for sentencing Sept. 30, officials said.
If convicted at trial, he faced a maximum sentence of three years behind bars.
“Blesch began stealing funds from the Arcadia Police Officers’ Association after being elected as its treasurer in 2011,” according to the district attorney’s office statement. “Blesch used the association’s credit cards to buy parts and accessories for his own motorcycles as well as other personal items such as clothing, exercise equipment and cigars.”
Blesch paid the monthly credit cards bills with funds from the association’s checking account, prosecutor said.
As part of his plea agreement, Blesch was ordered to pay nearly $42,000 in restitution, according to the district attorney’s office.
The theft took place over the course of several months, Arcadia police Capt. Paul Foley said shortly after Blesch’s arrest in late September.
Blesch resigned from the Arcadia Police Department and turned himself in to officials Oct. 2, a week after investigators obtained a warrant for his arrest Sept. 24, police and district attorney’s officials said.
Blesch remained free on $45,000 bail pending his legal proceeding.
A second Arcadia Police officer was placed on administrative leave along with Blesch when the missing money first came to light in March of 2013, officials said. The officer remains on leave, however, charges have not been filed against him.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Preliminary hearing held for ex-Baldwin Park police officer accused of filing false report

LOS ANGELES — A judge Wednesday ruled there is enough evidence to move forward with a trial in the case of a former Baldwin Park police officer charged with filing a false police report in connection with a 2013 drug arrest.
Matthew DeHoog was ordered back to court April 16 for an arraignment hearing following Wednesday’s preliminary hearing, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Ricardo Santiago said.
He pleaded not guilty in February to a charge of filing a false police report, officials said. The charge stems from an arrest he made July 31, 2013. But further details regarding the allegations against the officer were not available.
Baldwin Park Police Chief Michael Taylor said DeHoog’s employment with the Baldwin Park Police Department ended in January. However the chief said privacy law prevented him from saying wither DeHoog resigned or was terminated.
DeHoog remains free on his own recognizance pending trial. If convicted as charged, he faces up to three years in state prison.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Ex-Baldwin Park police officer accused of filing false report

LOS ANGELES >> Prosecutors Thursday filed a felony charge against a former Baldwin Park police officer accused of filing a false police report related to a drug arrest last year.
Matthew DeHoog, 29, pleaded not guilty to a count of filing a false report in Los Angeles Superior Court, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said in a written statement. Judge Renee Korn ordered him released on his own recognizance pending his next court appearance.
“DeHoog wrote a false police report about a July 31, 2013, incident where a man was arrested for investigation of possession of methamphetamine,” according to the district attorney’s office statement.
The criminal complaint filed against DeHoog alleges that, while working as a police officer, he filed a report regarding the commission and investigation of a crime, “and knowingly and intentionally included a statement and statements regarding a material matter which the defendant knew to be false.”
But further details regarding the alleged false police report, including the identity of the man who was arrested, were not available.
“We’re not releasing any more facts of the case,” district attorney’s office spokesman Greg Risling said. “They’ll be released during the (preliminary hearing).”
The case was investigated by DeHoog’s former colleagues at the Baldwin Park Police Department. But police also declined to discuss the circumstances of the case.
“He’s a former police officer with our department and he’s no longer employed by us,” Baldwin Park Police Chief Michael Taylor said.
DeHoog’s employment with the department ended in early January, Taylor said.
The chief said he had no further comment regarding the allegations against the former officer, or the case filed Thursday by the district attorney’s office.
“It’s unfortunate when anything like this happens in the law enforcement community,” Taylor said.
DeHoog was ordered to return to court March 4 for a preliminary hearing setting, Risling said.
DeHoog could not be reached for comment Thursday.
Under state law, DeHoog faces up to three years in prison if convicted as charged.
The July, 2013, incident was not DeHoog’s first time being involved in a controversial arrest.
He, along with two other Baldwin Park police officers, arrested then-city councilman Anthony Bejarano on suspicion of being drunk in public.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office ultimately declined to file any charge against Bejarano, and the former councilman filed a personnel complaint against his arresting officers. He denied he was drunk or uncooperative, as was stated in the officers’ report.
An internal department review into the situation was conducted and completed, though the results were never made public, as then-police chief Lili Hadsell said the issue was a confidential personnel matter.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

L.A. County sheriff’s deputy guilty of domestic violence, threats in Orange County

An Orange County jury Tuesday convicted a longtime Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy of repeatedly assaulting and threatening his girlfriend after she discovered he was having an affair, as well as threatening the other woman if she appeared in court, officials said.
Mark Eric Hibner, 44, of Anaheim was convicted of two counts of domestic battery with corporal injury and three counts of making criminal threats, Orange County District Attorney’ spokeswoman Farrah Emami said in a written statement.
All five counts are felonies, and Hibner faces up to eight years in state prison when he returned to the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana to be sentenced Nov. 15, officials said.
The allegations stem from Christmas Day of 2012, when Hibner became involved in an argument after his girlfriend, “discovered a sexually suggestive voicemail from another woman on the defendant’s cell phone,” according to the D.A.’s statement. The girlfriend was identified by authorities as Jane Doe #1.
“Over the next few days, Hibner physically assaulted Jane Doe #1, spit on the victim, repeatedly swore at her and threatened to kill her,” the statement said.
Hibner, whose booking sheet indicated stands 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 230 pounds, woke up Jane Doe #1 Dec. 30, dragged her into the living room of her Anaheim home by her hair and got on top of her, prosecutors said.
“Jane Doe #1 cried, begged Hibner to stop and banged her foot on the floor to wake the neighbors,” according to the D.A.’s statement. “Hibner than covered the victim’s mouth, pinched her nose and threatened to make her pass out. He got off Jane Doe #1, spit on her, threw a lit cigarette at her an called her derogatory names.”
Hibner met with the other woman, with whom he’d had a previous relationship and a child with, for a custody exchange Feb. 19, officials said. She was described as Jane Doe #2.
“During the meeting, Hibner threatened to kill Jane Doe #2 if she appeared in court at a hearing scheduled for two days later regarding a protective order for the crimes against Jane Doe #1,” according to the D.A.’s statement.
The case was investigated by the Anaheim Police Department.
Hibner, a 22-year-veteran of the sheriff’s department, was assigned to patrol county courthouses, sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore said.
He was placed on administrative leave in January, Whitmore added. Following his conviction Tuesday, the sheriff’s department began the process of terminating him.
Records show Hibner was taken into custody after the jury verdict Wednesday.
Though he officially remained employed by the sheriff’s department Wednesday pending termination proceedings, his booking records described his occupation as “unemployed.”

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Guard from Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall in Downey convicted of assault on teen

LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury Wednesday convicted a guard from Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall in Downey of an attack on a 13-year-old detainee, officials said.
D’Wayne Jordan, 58, was convicted of assault by a public officer, corporal injury to a child, assault with a deadly weapon and willful cruelty to a child likely to cause great bodily injury, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
The Los Angeles County Probation officer, who worked as a senior detention services officer at Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall in Downey, faces up to six years in prison when he returns to Los Angeles Superior Court for a scheduled sentencing Nov. 3.
Though Jordan has been discharged by the probation department, he has appealed his dismissal, officials added.
Evidence presented at trial showed that a juvenile detainee was sent to an office with Jordan after causing a minor disturbance in his room, according to the district attorney’s office.
“Evidence showed that Jordan allegedly forced the boy to sit on the floor and that Jordan stood over him in a threatening manner,” the statement said. “When the minor raised his hand in defense, Jordan allegedly struck him.
“Jordan allegedly kneed the 13-year-old in the face and pushed his face to the floor,” according to the statement. “The minor, who was 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighed 130 pounds at the time, suffered a cut and bruising to his face and broke a front tooth.”
Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Natalie Adomian of the district attorney’s Public Integrity Division prosecuted the case.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Pasadena parole agent denies stealing from parolee

LOS ANGELES — A Pasadena parole agent pleaded not guilty Thursday to an accusation of stealing more than $3,000 from a female parolee, officials said.
Robert Earl Wilson, 53, of Chino Hills is charged with embezzlement by a public officer and grand theft by embezzlement, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
He was released on his own recognizance and is due back in Los Angeles Superior Court April 6, officials said, when his preliminary hearing will be scheduled.
“Wilson allegedly stole more than $3,000 from a female parolee who, while incarcerated, authorized him to withdraw funds from her bank account in order to put money into her jail account,” according to the written statement. The crimes were reported between Jan. 30 and May 18 of 2010.
“The victim discovered the alleged embezzlement after her release from jail when she reviewed bank records and noticed a series of unauthorized withdrawals during her period of incarceration,” according to the statement.
While Wilson was not responsible for the alleged victim’s supervision, he earned her trust through their encounters at the Pasadena parole office, 333. E. Walnut Street, investigators said.
He was initially arrested at the office July 28 of last year, and was released from custody after posting $20,000 bail.
Wilson, who has been a parole agent with the California Department of Corrections for more than 20 years, was placed on administrative leave when an investigation was launched, officials said. 
If convicted as charged, Wilson faces up to three years and eight months in state prison.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Police academy misconduct alleged

Cheating. And, porn and guns and aspiring cops. That’s the atmosphere at the Rio Hondo Police Academy, according to a former employee who laid it all out for the school’s Board of Trustees in a letter that we’ve exclusively obtained. Here’s a bit of Dan Tedford’s story on the subject:

48683-riohondo-thumb-300x225-48682.jpg

“There are police officers on the street not properly trained with the shotgun,” Lopez wrote in the letter. “If there is an accidental discharge or one of these officers shoots someone with the shotgun, and there is a (sic) law suit, the college will be on the hook for any damages.”

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Former sheriff’s deputy, inmate, sentenced for trying to smuggle drugs into jail

This statement comes from the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office:

LOS ANGELES - A former Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy and a male co-conspirator were sentenced today(Tuesday) to four and two years in prison respectively for attempting to smuggle drugs into a county jail facility guarded by the deputy.

Peter Paul Felix, 26, had been a sheriff’s deputy about two years until he resigned shortly after Oct. 13, 2008. On that date he was caught attempting to smuggle 161.5 grams of heroin, 24.4 grams of methamphetamine and 51.5 grams of marijuana into the North County Correctional Facility where he worked as a guard.

Felix, who pleaded no contest on June 10 to possession for sale of a controlled substance, was sentenced by Judge James Bianco to four years in state prison, said Deputy District Attorney Paul Nunez, with the Justice System Integrity Division.

Terance Anthony Warner, 28, an inmate at the time at North County jail who arranged the drug pickup, pleaded no contest today to the same charge. He was sentenced to two years in state prison, Nunez said.

A third co-conspirator, Monique Ciara Garcia, 22, who delivered the drugs to Felix, pleaded no contest to the same count and was sentenced June 23 to two years in state prison.

All remaining counts were dismissed.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Facebook friending gets Industry detective reassigned

A sheriff’s spokesman said officials reassigned an Industry detective to administrative duty after allegations surfaced that he had a Rosemead man arrested to further a relationship with the man’s wife.

Detective Phil Solano remains at the Industry Station pending the outcome of the investigation, said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca.

The probe began in April shortly after the Sheriff’s Department received a complaint, Whitmore said.

“That’s news to me,” Solano said of the investigation. He declined to comment further.

According to court documents, Alberto Gutierrez, 36, was arrested in June 2008 on suspicion of making death threats and violating a domestic restraining order, Solano investigated the case.

In September 2008 Solano arrested Gutierrez on suspicion of violating a restraining order and stalking.

Gutierrez said at the time of his arrests he didn’t know Solano and his wife Mayela Gutierrez knew each other. But, during his April trial, Gutierrez learned that his wife and Solano were Facebook friends. Solano testified under oath that he had “one communication” with Mayela, according to court documents.

Despite the Internet relationship with the suspect’s wife, Solano, a 29-year veteran of the Sheriff’s Department, investigated the case and testified against Gutierrez, according to court documents.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email