Honda teamed with gas stations in Covina and Baldwin Park Saturday to help San Gabriel Valley Honda owners kick off their Independence Day travels by pumping free gas.
The helpful folks in blue shirts brought their “Random Acts of Helpfulness” campaign to Valero, 3660 Puente Ave. in Baldwin Park, in the late morning, then headed to Jerry’s Automotive Services and Kwik Serv, 4560 N. Grand Ave., early Saturday afternoon.
Word of the free fuel quickly spread, and both stations saw lines of Honda’s waiting to take advantage of the events.
Damian Ruiz, 20, of Covina said he rushed to the Covina gas station after receiving a text message from a friend letting him know about the unannounced giveaway.
“I was on a quarter (tank),” so this will get me through the weekend,” he said. “I’m going to Laughlin right after this, so it was perfect.”
A stroke of luck brought Rolando Buelnas, 23, of Covina, to the Covina giveaway.
He said he tried to go to the Baldwin Park event but didn’t make it in time. He headed to a car wash next door to the Covina station when the Honda crew coincidentally arrived to continue pumping free gas.
“I was going to wash my car and I saw this long line of Hondas,” he said.
Joanna Perales, 30, of Baldwin Park arrived at the Baldwin Park Valero station just as the Honda crew was leaving. So she said she decided to follow them to see if they stopped nearby.
The tactic paid off when the Honda team pulled in to Jerry’s Auto in Covina and let the pumps loose.
“This is awesome,” Perales said as Honda representatives filled her tank. Though she’d heard of Honda’s helpfulness campaign before, “You don’t really think it was really true until you actually go through it.”
BALDWIN PARK >> A 5-year-old boy died Wednesday after being caught up and strangled in a front-yard hammock at his home, officials said.
The “horrible accident” took place about 12:40 p.m. at a home in the 4900 block of Maine Avenue, Baldwin Park police Lt. Chris Kuberry said.
The boy was out in the front yard as his mother cooked him lunch, the lieutenant said.
When the mother came outside, she found the boy entangled in the hammock and not breathing, officials said.
The mother performed CPR until two Baldwin Park police detectives who arrived at the scene and took over until paramedics arrived, Kuberry said.
Officials rushed the boy to a hospital, but he succumbed to his injuries, he said.
Nothing criminal was initially suspected in the death, which was being investigated as an accident, Kuberry said.
BALDWIN PARK >> Authorities have released the identity of a 23-year-old La Puente man killed in a motorcycle crash on the 10 Freeway in Baldwin Park last week.
David Calvillo died at the scene of Thursday’s 7:50 a.m. crash on the westbound 10 Freeway near Puente Avenue, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Chief of Operations Craig Harvey said.
Calvillo was westbound on the freeway on a 2015 Harley-Davidson motorcycle when he lost control and ended up being thrown onto the roadway, California Highway Patrol Officer Rodrigo Jimenez said.
The left, rear portion of a Greyhound charter bus heading westbound on the 10 Freeway at 20 to 25 mph ran over Calvillo, causing fatal injuries, the officer said.
The bus driver and four-dozen passengers on-board reported no injuries, officials said.
BALDWIN PARK >> A man died Thursday when he was run over by a Greyhound bus following a motorcycle crash on the 10 Freeway in Baldwin Park, officials said.
The motorcyclist’s identity was not released pending notification of his family, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said. He was estimated to be in his 20s.
He was westbound on the 10 Freeway near Puente Avenue about 7:50 a.m. when he lost control of his 2015 Harley-Davidson motorcycle and was thrown onto the roadway, California Highway Patrol Officer Rodrigo Jimenez said.
At the same time, a Greyhound charter bus was traveling west in the No. 2 lane at 20 to 25 mph, he said.
“The left, rear of the bus unfortunately ran over the male rider, causing fatal injuries,” Jimenez said. Paramedics pronounced the rider dead at the scene.
Neither the driver of the bus nor any of his 48 passenger reported any injuries, Jimenez said.
Following the initial collision between the rider and the bus, either the cyclist or his motorcycle struck the rear of a Toyota Sequoia SUV. No one inside the SUV was hurt.
Officials shut down the three right-hand lanes of the westbound 10 Freeway for about two hours following the crash.
The cause of the crash remained under investigation. Anyone witnesses were asked to contact Officer Marcel Bacon of the CHP’s Baldwin Park Office at 626-338-1164.
IRWINDALE >> A Baldwin Park man was behind bars Sunday after being caught in the act of stealing copper wire from an industrial mining operation, police said.
Miguel Angel Gallegos, 31, was booked on suspicion of grand theft and providing false information to police following his arrest shortly before 8:30 p.m. Saturday in the 13100 block of Ramona Boulevard, Irwindale police Sgt. Rudy Gatto said in a written statement.
A witness called 9-1-1 from a neighboring business to report seeing someone removing bales of copper wire from Vulcan Material Company via a surveillance camera, the sergeant said.
“Officers located a subject matching the description hiding in some bushes nearby the location,” Gatto said. “The subject was in possession of approximately 200 feet of large gauge copper electrical wire.”
Officers determined Gallegos had cut a hole in a fence surrounding the mining operation to take the wire, he said. The wire was valued at about $1,500.
Gallegos was being held in lieu of $20,000 bail at the Baldwin Park Police Department’s jail pending his initial court appearance.
INDUSTRY >> Coroner’s officials Sunday released the named of a Baldwin Park man and an Ontario woman who died when they car they were passengers in left the roadway and struck a tree along the 60 Freeway early Saturday.
Rafael Flores Reinoso, 49, of Baldwin Park and Michelle Alvarez, 23, of Ontario, died at the scene of the 2:40 a.m. crash along the eastbound 60 Freeway, just west of the 605 Freeway, in an unincorporated county area near Industry, Los Angeles County coroner’s Lt. Fred Corrall said.
They were passengers in a 2006 Scion tC being driven by a 24-year-old Ontario man that veered from traffic lanes and struck a tree along a gore point, California Highway Patrol officials said.
The driver and another passenger, described as a 45-year-old Ontario woman, were hospitalized with major injuries, according to the CHP. The cause of the crash remained under investigation.
BALDWIN PARK >> Authorities Thursday released the identity of a Baldwin Park man shot by police after allegedly pulling a gun on an officer who was chasing him through an alley.
James Anthony Teter, 23, was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer following his shooting and arrest just before noon Wednesday in an alley between Stewart Cutler and Stewart avenues, just south of Los Angeles Street, according to Los Angeles County booking records and Lt. Holly Francisco of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau.
The shooting occurred as he was fleeing from a Baldwin Park police officer who recognized him as an AB 109 probationer wanted for violating the terms of his release, Francisco said. Teter allegedly pulled a handgun on the pursing officer, and the officer opened fire, striking Teter once in the arm.
Francisco said Teter initially continued running, but quickly surrendered to the officer after being wounded. No officers were hurt.
Booking records show Teter had already been treated for his injuries and booked into jail Thursday.
He was released from jail under AB 109 post-release community supervision April 8 after serving a little more than three months of a 225-day sentence following convictions for resisting or obstructing police and violating his probation earlier this year, records show.
According to Los Angeles Superior Court records, Teter’s previous convictions date back to 2010 and include domestic battery, drug possession, refusing a lawful police order, being a convicted felon in possession of a gun and auto theft.
Teter was being held in lieu of $30,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, scheduled Friday in West Covina Superior Court.
BALDWIN PARK >> A police officer shot and wounded a man who officials say pulled a gun on the officer in a while fleeing through a Baldwin Park alley Wednesday.
The wounded suspect, described as a 23-year-old Baldwin Park man, suffered gunshot wound that was not considered to life-threatening, said Lt. Holly Francisco of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, which is spearheading the investigation.
The shooting took place just before noon in an alley between Stewart and Cutler avenues, just south of Los Angeles Street, Francisco said.
The lieutenant said two gang officers spotted the man at Stewart Avenue, just north of Palm Avenue, and recognized him as a suspect wanted for violating the terms of his probation under AB 109 guidelines.
The man ran, and one of the two officers chased him as he ran down an alley toward Cutler Avenue, she said.
“During that foot pursuit, the suspect produced a firearm and an officer-involved shooting happened,” Francisco said.
The wounded suspect was struck once in the arm and continued running west a short distance before surrendering to the officer, officials said.
She said the suspect’s handgun was recovered at the scene. No officers were injured.
The suspect was believed to a gang affiliate, Francisco said.
Police and sheriff’s officials cordoned off the area as they conducted an investigation Wednesday afternoon.
BALDWIN PARK >> Two separate shootings in Baldwin Park left a man and woman wounded early Saturday, less than a week after another shooting claimed the life of a Baldwin Park man, authorities said.
The first of Saturday’s two shooting took place about 1:15 a.m. in the 3200 block of Athol Street, Baldwin Park police Sgt. Mike Hemenway said.
Officers responding to reports of “shots fired” encountered a man who had been shot in the buttocks, the sergeant said. He was hospitalized in stable condition.
Just over an hour later, police received a 9-1-1 call reporting a shooting at Los Angeles and Walnut streets, Hemenway said. There, officers found a woman who had also been shot in the buttocks. Her injuries were also not considered life-threatening.
The motives in both shootings were unclear, and detailed suspect descriptions were not available. It was not clear if the two shooting were connected.
The attacks took place less than five days after the fatal shooting of Jacob Neftali Sosa, 37, of Baldwin Park. He died after he was shot about 8:20 p.m. on April 20 outside his home in the 3800 block of Cosbey Street, about a mile southwest of the scene of Saturday’s Athol Street shooting.
PASADENA >> Police jailed a man Baldwin Park man Tuesday after he abandoned an attempted bank robbery in Pasadena and fled empty-handed, authorities said.
John Raymond Celaya, 55, was arrested in connection with the alleged failed heist and was being held in lieu of $50,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, according to Pasadena police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
The crime took place just after 5:30 p.m. at a Chase branch at Colorado Boulevard and Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena police Lt. Kelly Evans said.
Celaya handed a teller a note demanding cash and stating that he had a gun, Evans said. But he apparently became nervous and fled from the bank without receiving any money.
Officers found Celaya nearby at Central Park and arrested him once he was identified via witnesses and surveillance footage as the suspect.
– Stephanie Baer and Brian Day