INDUSTRY >> A chain reaction series of three crashes on the 60 Freeway in Industry early Sunday left a Mojave man dead, authorities said.
Three other people suffered major injuries and one person suffered minor injuries following the crashes, which occurred over a two-minutes period beginning at 4:24 a.m. on the eastbound 60 Freeway, just east of Fairway Drive, according to California Highway Patrol Officer Ron Warrior.
A total of five vehicles were involved in the sequence of collisions, which forced the closure of all eastbound lanes of the 60 Freeway for about three and a half hours, Warrior said in a written statement.
A 46-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Investigator Betsy Magdaleno said. His name was withheld pending notification of family. CHP officials described him as a Mojave resident.
He had been a passenger in a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban that was disabled in the roadway after being involved in to previous crashes within two minutes, CHP Officer Monica Posada said.
He was struck by a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant after he got out of the wrecked Suburban, Warrior said.
The first of the three collisions occurred when the Suburban, which was being driven by a 34-year-old Moreno Valley woman, collided with a 1994 Toyota 4Runner, according to the CHP.
“For undetermined reasons, (the Suburban) collided with (the 4Runner),” Warrior said. “(The Suburban) came to rest in traffic lanes facing west.”
A 52-year-old Corona man who was at the wheel of the 4Runner was hospitalized with major injuries, officials said.
The second crash took place one minute later as the driver of a 2014 Dodge Challenger crashed into the disabled suburban, causing the Challenger to veer into the path of travel of a 2009 Toyota Camry that was driving alongside it, Warrior said.
The driver of the Challenger, a 37-year-old Los Angeles man, was hospitalized with major injuries, officials said. The driver of the Camry, who officials described as a 20-year-old Los Angeles man, was not injured.
“Subsequent to this collision, a third occurred which resulted in a fatality,” Warrior said.
The Suburban, which had already been involved in two crashes, was sitting in between the carpool and fast lanes when a 2001 Mitsbushi Galant with a 20-year-old Rialto man at the wheel approached the scene, according to Warrior. The 46-year-old Mojave man had gotten out of the SUV and was standing beside the wrecked Suburban.
The Galant struck both the Suburban and the Mojave man, who was thrown into the roadway, Warrior said. He succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
The woman who had been driving the Suburban was hospitalized with major injuries, officials said. The Galant driver suffered apparently minor injuries.
A Sig Alert was issued for all eastbound lanes of the 60 Freeway, Posada said. The lanes were cleared shortly before 8 a.m.
The crashes were being investigated by officers from the Baldwin Park office of the CHP.
INDUSTRY — Two men and a woman died early Sunday after the car they were riding in went off the side of the 60 Freeway in Industry, landing in a construction site, authorities said.
The crash occurred just before 6:50 a.m. on the westbound 60 Freeway at Crossroads Parkway, California Highway Patrol Officer Monica Posada said.
A Kia Soul was traveling at an undetermined speed when it veered to the right of the road, and across the onramp and offramp for the westbound 60 Freeway, she said.
“The vehicle went off the freeway,” Posada said. “At some point, it went airborne and ended up in a construction site.”
The three occupants of the Kia were pronounced dead at the scene, officials said. They were initially described as two men and a woman in their 20s.
A Sig Alert remained in effect for several hours for the onramp and offramp to the westbound 60 Freeway as officers from the Santa Fe Springs office of the CHP conducted an investigation.
PHOTO courtesy of the CHP.
California Highway Patrol officials are planning a sobriety checkpoint Saturday night in an unincorporated county area near Industry, officials have announced.
The checkpoint will begin about 9 p.m. Saturday at an undisclosed location in the unincorporated county area near Industry, CHP officials said in a written statement.
Traffic volume permitting, all drivers that pass through the checkpoint will be checked by officers for sobriety, the statement said. If traffic volume becomes too heavy, officers will screen vehicle based on a pre-selected standard — such as every third vehicle or every 5th vehicle — to ensure objectivity.
Funding for Saturday’s checkpoint is being provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
INDUSTRY >> A big rig hauling milk overturned on Azusa Avenue near the Puente Hills Mall early Saturday, snarling traffic and spilling some of its cargo onto the roadway, authorities said.
The crash took place about 7:15 a.m. on northbound Azusa Avenue at the 60 Freeway, blocking northbound lanes of Azusa Avenue, California Highway Patrol Officer Monica Posada said.
The driver, a Riverside man in his 40s, was taken to a hospital with apparently minor injuries, she said.
He had just exited the eastbound 60 Freeway and was making a left turn onto Azusa Avenue from the offramp when the truck tipped over, the officer said.
The tanker was compromised and began leaking a “significant amount” of milk, Posada said. Officials treated the milk as a hazardous material and tried to keep it out of storm drains, as it can be toxic to marine life.
Officials remained a the scene more than four hours later working to right and remove the overturned tanker.
The truck was placed back on its wheels Saturday afternoon, and two of four northbound lanes of Azusa Avenue were reopened about 5 p.m., according to CHP logs.
The Azusa Avenue offramp from the eastbound 60 Freeway was also shut down Saturday morning and afternoon due to the crash.
INDUSTRY — Coroner’s officials Thursday released the identity of a man who died a day after he was found bound and badly burned along the 605 Freeway last week.
Gilbert Medina, 24, died at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center early April 16, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. Joe Bale said. His city of residence was unknown.
Medina was pronounced dead a little more than 12 hours after a passer-by discovered him nude, partially bound and suffering from severe burns all over his body, including his face and hands, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s investigators. He may have also been beaten.
But it remained unclear Thursday exactly how he died.
An autopsy had been carried out, however a cause of death was not determined pending the results of further tests, Bale said.
Lt. Steve Jauch of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said detectives found evidence of a fire near where Medina was first spotted, but declined to give further details, citing the ongoing investigation.
No further details were released.
INDUSTRY >> Authorities have released the identity of a 20-year-old Los Angeles man who was thrown from his motorcycle and run over by a big rig in a crash on the 605 Freeway late Friday.
Manuel Paleo died following the 7:30 p.m. collision on the southbound 605 Freeway near Peck Road, Sgt. S. Coleman of the California Highway Patrol’s Santa Fe Springs office said.
He was riding a 2002 Honda motorcycle when he rode onto the shoulder to try to pass a big rig that was traveling ahead of him in the right-hand lane, the sergeant said.
“The left side of the motorcycle struck the front of the Big Rig,” he said. “This impact caused the motorcyclist to be ejected from the motorcycle. The big rig ran over the motorcyclist.”
Los Angeles County Fire Department Paramedics pronounced Paleo dead at the scene, Coleman said.
Any witnesses were encouraged to contact the Santa Fe Springs office of the CHP at 562-868-0503.
INDUSTRY >> A motorcyclist died late Friday in a crash on the Peck Road onramp to the southbound 605 Freeway, authorities said.
The crash was first reported just after 7:30 p.m., according to California Highway Patrol logs. The rider was pronounced dead at the scene.
The collision was believed to have involved the motorcycle and at least one additional vehicle, however further details were not immediately available, CHP Officer Peter Bishop said.
Officials shut down the right-hand lane of the southbound 605 Freeway as they investigated the scene.
SAN GABRIEL VALLEY >> Overnight lane closures are scheduled to continue this week on the 60 Freeway through the San Gabriel Valley as crews make progress on an ongoing $121.5 million repaving project, officials said.
Tuesday night through Friday morning, up to three lanes of the eastbound 60 Freeway between the 605 Freeway and Azusa Avenue will be shut down from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., along with the carpool lane in the same area from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., Caltrans officials said in a written statement.
Also Tuesday night through Friday morning, up to three lanes of the westbound 60 Freeway will be shut down between the 57 Freeway and Azusa Avenue from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., as well as the carpool lane in the same area from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Crews will continue working, but on a different schedule, Friday night through Sunday morning, Caltrans officials said.
Up to three eastbound lanes of the 60 Freeway between the 605 Freeway and Azusa Avenue will be closed nightly from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., along with the carpool lane between Seventh Avenue and Hacienda Boulevard from midnight to 8 a.m.
Also closed will be the Seventh Avenue onramp from 7 p.m. to 9 a.m. and the connector roads from the 605 Freeway to the eastbound 60 Freeway from 11 p.m. to 11 a.m.
On the westbound side of the 60 Freeway Friday night through Sunday morning, up to three lanes between the 57 Freeway and Azusa Avenue will be shut down between midnight and 4 a.m., along with the carpool lane in the same area from midnight to 4 a.m., officials said. The Fairway and Old Brea Canyon Road onramps will be closed from 10 p.m. to 11 a.m., along with the connector roads from the 57 Freeway to the westbound 60 Freeway from 11 p.m. to 10 a.m.
A full closure of the westbound 60 Freeway between the 57 Freeway and Azusa Avenue is scheduled to take place from 11:59 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday, according to Caltrans.
Detours will be posted.
BASSETT — Two men beat a hydroponics store employee with a baseball bat and stabbed him repeatedly during an attack along Valley Boulevard Friday afternoon.
The incident, which deputies were investigating as an attempted murder, was first reported about 5:15 p.m. at a hydroponic supply store along Valley Boulevard, just west of Seventh Avenue, in the unincorporated county area of Bassett, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
Paramedics were first summoned to the scene by reports of an injured man bleeding from the head, Sgt. Mark Stonich of the sheriff’s Industry Station said. The rescuers contacted police after realizing the man was the victim of an assault.
“These two (attackers) used a baseball bat, hands and feet and possibly a knife,” Stonich said. “He had several puncture wounds in his back.”
The employee first received a phone call just before 5 p.m. from a man asking whether the store was open, and whether is carried a particular type of light bulb, Stonich said. The employee responded that the store did carry the bulb in question.
About 15 minutes later, the employee noticed two men standing in front of the store, pacing and carrying a bag, the sergeant said.
They entered the store, pulled a baseball bat from the bag and ordered the employee to exit the store, Stonich said. They then attacked the man.
Paramedics took the injured employee to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with stable vital signs, Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Larry Duran said. He was expected to survive.
The motive in the attack was not clear, Stonich said. There were no indications anything had been stolen.
The badly injured man managed to give deputies a description of his attackers before being rushed to the a hospital for treatment, the sergeant said. “He recognized one of their voices as person who had called on the phone.”
One of the assailants was a white man of about 6 feet tall, wearing a blue shirt and gray pants, Stonich said. The other was an Asian man of about 5 feet 6 inches tall and wearing all black clothing.
Not eyewitnesses to the attack had been found Friday afternoon, however witnesses did confirm seeing men matching the descriptions given by the victim and carrying a baseball bat in the area around the time of the incident.
The motive in the crime was not immediately clear, Stonich said. “We don’t know if a robbery occurred at this time.”
The investigation was ongoing. Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Industry Station at 626-330-3322.
A man carjacked two drivers and attacked one of them with a bottle before being arrested late Friday, authorities said.
Markkis Porsche Sonier, 24, of Long Beach was booked on suspicion of carjacking and assault with a deadly weapon following his arrest, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials and county booking records.
The series of crimes began about 8:50 p.m. in the parking lot of Denny’s restaurant, on 7th Avenue near the 60 Freeway, Sgt. Michael Mileski said.
“The suspect told the victim he had a gun and demanded his vehicle,” Mileski said. The victim complied, and the carjacker sped off in the man’s Dodge Neon.
Minutes later, Sonier abandoned the Dodge nearby at Turnbull Canyon Road and Gale Avenue in Industry, Mileski said. He then turned it attention to a woman with a Lexus sedan in a parking lot.
“He assaulted her with a bottle,” Mileski said.
The woman was struck in the head, Sgt. Greg Taylor said in an written statement. She was treated by paramedics for minor injuries.
The suspect then fled in the woman’s car, which was spotted by deputies just around the corner, officials said.
“As Industry station deputies were responding to area of the first carjacking, the suspect nearly collided into a patrol car,” Taylor said. “Realizing that the vehicle that nearly collided into them could possibly be related to the carjacking which had just happened, deputies conducted a traffic stop and detained the driver without incident.”
Sonier was already on probation for assault, Taylor added.
According to booking records, Sonier was being held in lieu of $185,000 bail pending his initial appearance Tuesday in West Covina Superior Court.