The La Habra Police traffic unit will keep an eye out for motorists driving under the influence plus drivers without licenses at a June 1 checkpoint.
The checkpoint will be at held from 8:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. at an undisclosed location in the city.
Police said those caught driving impaired can expect jail, suspension of their license and hikes in insurance as well as fines, fees, DUI classes, and other expenses that can exceed $10,000.
In 2011, nearly 10,000 people were killed nationally in crashes that involved at least one driver or motorcyclist with a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent or higher. In California, this resulted in 774 deaths.
“In 2012, La Habra experienced 89 DUI involved traffic collisions that resulted in one person being killed,” Sgt. Tigner said.
The checkpoint is funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Ruby Gonzales
LA HABRA — Los Angeles police investigating a triple-fatal shooting in Harbor Gateway arrested a man at his La Habra apartment on suspicion of the crime late Friday, officials confirmed Saturday.
Narada Brooks, 28, was booked on suspicion of murder, LAPD Officer Sara Faden said.
Though the investigation was ongoing, “detectives believe he was the sole individual responsible,” Faden said.
Killed in the shooting were Dwayne Damion Cover, 33, of Torrance, Laurent Kenroy Latty, 33, of Joneboro, Georgia and a third man whose identity was not released Saturday pending confirmation that his family had been notified, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Investigator Joyce Kato said.
LAPD investigators arrived in La Habra about 6 p.m. Friday and took a suspect — later identified as Brooks — into custody without a struggle about 8:30 p.m. at an apartment in the 900 block of North Euclid Street, La Habra police Sgt. Jeff Bayloss said.
The LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division detectives were following up on an early-morning shooting in the Harbor Gateway portion of Los Angeles that left three men dead and a fourth wounded.
The shooting took place about 5:30 a.m. in an apartment in the 1600 block of West 205th Street, Faden said.
Three men appearing to be in their 20s were found fatally shot, Faden said.
A fourth shooting wounded man, who appeared to be in his 30s, was found shot a few blocks away and hospitalized, she said. An update on his condition was not available.
No further details regarding the circumstances of the shooting were released.
According to county booking records, Brooks was being held without bail pending his initial court appearance.
LA HABRA – The second of three gang members accused of fatally beating and slashing the throat of an 18-year-old La Habra man outside a Halloween party in 2009 pleaded guilty to his role in the slaying Thursday, authorities said.
Rene Antonio Lobos, 18, of La Habra was 15 years old when he took part in the Oct. 31, 2009 killing of Joshua Mora-Rodriguez of La Habra, officials said. Mora-Rodriguez, the son of two Los Angeles police detectives, had recently graduated high school and preparing to join the Army at the side of his death. He had no gang ties.
After more than three years of court proceedings, Lobos pleaded guilty Thursday in Santa Ana Superior Court to voluntary manslaughter, and admitted the the sentence-enhancing allegation that the crime was gang-related, Orange County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Farrah Emami said. Under a plea agreement, an additional charge of street terrorism was dismissed.
He was immediately sentenced to 16 years in state prison, Emami said.
A total of three young men were charged in connection with the killing.
A jury convicted Steven Salvador Hernandez, 20, of La Habra, in May of second-degree murder and street terrorism for Mora Rodriguez’s killing, officials said. He was sentenced in July to 15 years to life in prison. He was 17 years old at the time of the killing.
A third defendant, 23-year-old Francisco Nuno, has denied the same charges and was due in court May 15 for a pretrial conference and hearing to set a trial date, Emami said.
Though minors at the time of the killing, Lobos and Hernandez were tried as adults.
Mora-Rodriguez was attacked by a group of gang members, which included the three defendants, shortly before midnight on Halloween, 2009, as he left a house party in the 1000 block of East Francis Avenue, according to Senior Deputy District Attorney Chris Duff. The party was hosted by a female friend of one of the suspects.
Prior to the fatal attack, two of Mora-Rodriguez’s friends had been involved in a fight by several other young men at the party, Duff said.
As Mora-Rodriguez and his friends were leaving the party, they became involved in an argument, then another fight, with the same group, officials said.
Six to eight gang members joined the attack, in what was described by witnesses as an “ambush,” Duff said.
Lobos beat the victim with a baseball bat while Nuno pummeled Mora-Rodriguez with his fists, the prosecutor said. Hernandez then used a knife to cut Mora-Rodriguez throat, fatally wounding him.
DIAMOND BAR — A 19-year-old Rowland Heights woman suffered major injuries Tuesday when an SUV struck her stopped Toyota Corolla on the Orange (57) Freeway, authorities said.
Kathryn Rios was hospitalized following the 2:27 p.m. crash on the southbound 57 Freeway, just south of Brea Canyon Cutoff Road, California Highway Patrol Officer Alex Antillon said in a written statement.
Edward Castaneda, 38, of La Habra, who was driving the Ford Explorer that rear-ended Rios’ car, was cited at the scene on suspicion of driving on a suspended license and failing to provide proof of insurance at a collision scene, the officer said. Driving under the influence was not initially suspected to be a factor.
The Corolla was travelling ahead of the Ford prior to the crash, officials said. “For an unknown reason, Ms. Rios’ Toyota came to a complete stop within the No. 4 lane,” Antillon said. “Mr. Castaneda failed to notice the Toyota stopped directly ahead of him,” he said.
“The front of the Ford subsequently struck the rear of the Toyota.” Rescuers took Rios to the University of California, Irvine Medical Center for treatment with “major injuries,” Antillon said. An update on her condition was not available. Castaneda was not injured.
Any witnesses to the crash where asked to contact the CHP’s Baldwin Park office during normal business hours at 626-338-1164.
LA HABRA – Two men with handguns fled with $500 and a cell phone after robbing a Green Burrito Wednesday night.
La Habra police Lt. Jeff Swaim said no one was injured during the 9:20 p.m. robbery of the store at 911 West Whittier Blvd.
The suspects left the store on foot, he said. They were only described as black men wearing black sweatshirts.
Swaim said prior to the La Habra robbery, there was a robbery in Fullerton involving two black men in a white 1990s Suburban with Arizona license plates.
He said the two cases haven’t been linked.
LA HABRA — An 8-year-old girl walking to school was attacked by two Rottweilers Tuesday morning, police said.
La Habra police responded to the 200 block of Pacific Avenue about 7:15 a.m. regarding a dog attack.
Los Angeles County firefighters took the girl to a hospital.
Authorities early Wednesday said the girl’s injuries were not considered life-threatening, however no further details on her condition were available.
La Habra Animal Control found the two male Rottweilers and took the dogs into custody. Police don’t know yet who owns the dogs.
- Ruby Gonzales
LA HABRA — Three public works employees were hospitalized as a precaution Friday after they opened a manhole cover and inhaled fumes from what was later determined to be a degreasing solvent, authorities said.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Works officials lifted the manhole cover about 9:20 a.m. at Euclid Avenue and Electric Avenue, Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Robert Cendejas said.
They smelled a strong odor and experienced shortness of breath, officials said. They were taken to a hospital for treatment as a precaution.
A hazardous material crew ultimately determined the chemical was some sort of degreasing solvent that had become concentrated in the area beneath the intersection, Cendejas said.
Exactly what the chemical was, or how it ended up concentrated in the were below Euclid Street, remained unclear, he added.
Nearby residents were advised to stay in their homes as firefighters dealt with the situation, Cendejas said, however no evacuations were ordered.
Officials remained at the scene for nearly two hours.
SANTA ANA — A La Habra woman charged with murder for allegedly throwing her infant son from the fourth floor of a hospital parking structure pleaded not guilty Wednesday by reason of insanity, authorities said.
Sonia Hermosillo, 32, entered the plea in Santa Ana Superior Court, Orange County District Attorney’s officials said. She was ordered back to court for a pre-trial conference Feb. 22.
“We anticipate that’s the defense — that they’re going to claim postpartum depression or postpartum psychosis,” said Deputy District Attorney Scott Simmons, who is prosecuting the case.
But he said the evidence indicates the killing was a pre-meditated and deliberate act.
At a hearing in March, a judge ruled that Hermosillo was mentally competent to stand trial following assertions by her attorney that she was not.
She charged with murder and child abuse in connection with the Aug. 22, 2011 incident at the Children’s Hospital of Orange County.
Seven-month-old Noe Medina Jr. died two days after plummeting from the parking structure, investigators said.
He suffered from treatable medical conditions that required him to wear a helmet.
Though Hermosillo contends she was insane when she killed her baby, “There are a number of facts which are very goal-oriented,” Simmons said.
It’s alleged that Hermosillo drove her son to the fourth floor of the parking structure and removed his helmet before throwing him off.
Before fleeing the scene, Hermosillo went inside the hospital and validated her parking, officials said
Parking validation was necessary in order for vehicles to leave the closed parking area, Simmons said, and the validation of her parking demonstrates she knew what she was doing.
Shortly before the incident took place, the baby’s father and Hermosillo’s husband called La Habra police to report them missing.
An officials motive has not been released, however the infant’s father, Noe Medina, has said that his wife suffered from postpartum depression and had difficulty accepting Noe Medina Jr. because of his medical problems.
Hermosillo has two other children.
Orange police officers arrested her when she drove by the hospital more than three hours later, as officials continued to investigate the scene, officials said.
Because she pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, the potential exists for two trials, Simmons explained.
In the first trial, a jury will determine guilt or innocence, he said. If convicted, the jury will again listen to evidence and determine whether Hermosillo was legally insane at the time of the crime.
Hermosillo could face 25 years to life in state prison if convicted as charged.
PHOTO: Sonia Hermosillo, 32, of La Habra. (courtesy)
LA HABRA — In what officials described as a highly unusual service call, a young man called police Friday to report finding an envelope containing about $800 on a La Habra street.
Gerardo Marquez, 18, of La Habra said he and some friends were walking to a store in the 300 block of North Harbor Avenue when one of his friends found an envelope on the ground.
Inside, they found about $800 in cash, La Habra police Lt. Jason Forgash said.
Marquez admitted the thought of keeping the money crossed his mind.
“But we thought deeper into it,” he said. “We thought, what if belongs to a family that’s really in need?”
So Marquez called La Habra police about 10:30 p.m. to report funding the cash, Forgash said.
“We were all pleasantly shocked because it’s not something you see very often,” the lieutenant said. “It’s a nice time of the year for the rightful owner to be getting this amount of money back,” he added.
That rightful owner remained unidentified Saturday, police said.
Anyone with information about who the owner of the money might be was asked to contact the watch commander’s office at the La Habra Police Department at 562-905-9777.
LA HABRA — A man was hospitalized in stable condition but refused to cooperate with investigators following a stabbing Thursday, officials said.
Officers responded to a report of a stabbing just after 8 p.m. in the 500 block of South Euclid Street, according to La Habra police Sgt. Brian Miller.
They discovered a man in his 30s who was suffering from a stab wound, the sergeant said. Rescuers took the man to UCI Medical Center, where he was listed in stable condition.
“The victim was uncooperative with police and investigators are still trying to determine if the incident was gang related,” Miller said. No further details were available.
Anyone with information was asked to contact La Habra police at 562-905-9700.