PARAMOUNT >> The community has rallied around the family of a Southern California Edison worker who was killed Wednesday while working on a utility pole in Paramount, raising more than $120,000 to help the bereaved family in a single day.
Jeffrey Jacob Moon, 26, of Los Angeles left behind a wife and 3-year-old son, according to Ann Marie Howell, who organized the online fundraising website at www.gofundme.com/jacobmoonfund on behalf of the Southern California Edison Long Beach Service Center.
After being established Friday with a goal of $25,000, over 1,300 donors had contributed more than $120,000 to the fund by Saturday afternoon.
“Long Beach District would like to extend our deepest sympathies to Jacob’s family, friends and co-workers. We appreciate all of your support,” Howell wrote.
In a posting on the fundraising website, Moon’s wife, Eliana Moon, thanked the community for their support.
“As I end my days and I see the donations made I am speechless. I can not thank God enough for everyone’s support and help,” she wrote.
“I feel very blessed to have been able to spend the last 4 years of Jacobs life with him,” Eliana Moon continued. “I feel very proud of the impact he has made on many, I feel honored to be his wife. Thank you for your prayers because of them may be why I feel so strong to see the strong net that has brought so many people together all over the U.S. God bless each and every one of you guys.”
The fatal mishap took place about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday as Moon, described by SCE as a “troubleman,” was working up on a utility pole after responding to service call, officials said.
Witnesses reported that he lost his footing and slipped, becoming entangled in wires below, according to Ed Winter, assistant chief of operations at the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner.
Though initially reported by authorities as an apparent electrocution, investigators reported no obvious signs of electrical injury on Moon’s body, Winter said.
Moon’s cause of death remained under investigation Saturday, coroner’s Lt. David Smith said. An autopsy had been carried out, however the officials cause of death was deferred pending the further examination.
The incident is being investigated by SCE, the coroner’s office, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and the California Department of Industrial Relations Division of Occupational Safety and Health.
PHOTO via www.gofundme.com/jacobmoonfund
DOWNEY >> A sheriff’s patrol car and more than half-a-dozen other vehicles were damaged in a suspected arson fire in the parking lot of the Lakewood Green Line Station Wednesday afternoon.
The “possible arson” took place about 12:30 p.m. at the commuter train station at 12801 Lakewood Blvd., at the 105 Freeway, according to Ramon Montenegro, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Transit Services Bureau, which patrols tran stations and lines in the county.
“We’re investigating a possible arson to several vehicles. One of our patrol cars was involved,” he said.
Detectives from the Sheriff’s Arson-Explosives Bureau were summoned to the scene to assist in the investigation, Montenegro added.
Officials could not immediately confirm initial sheriff’s radio broadcasts from the scene that the patrol car was destroyed, and as many as nine additional cars in the parking lot had sustained significant damage.
Officials also could not immediately confirm reports that a possible suspect had been seen leaving the area in a pickup truck, possible fitted with one spare tire.
No injuries were reported, and no further details were available.
IRWINDALE >> Homicide detectives are investigating a man’s death in Irwindale Friday afternoon.
The death was first reported about 3 p.m. in the 12900 block of Lower Azusa Road, near the 605 Freeway, according to Deputy Ryan Rouzan of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau.
No information regarding the circumstances of the death were immediately released.
Detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau responded to the scene to assist Irwindale police in the investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
LA PUENTE >> Sheriff’s deputies from the La Puente Special Assignment Team joined businesses and a nonprofit organization to hand out more than 650 bags of food, along with toys, to needy families throughout La Puente Wednesday.
For the fourth year, deputies from the Sheriff’s Industry Station, which patrols La Puente, demonstrated their Community Oriented Policing mission by delivering holiday goodies, said Lt. Pete Cacheiro, who effectively serves as La Puente’s Chief of Police.
“It keeps getting bigger,” Cacheiro said.
Sprouts Farmers Market, La Bodega Market, Casique USA Authentic Mexican Cheese and Chino-based charity Isaiah’s Rock provided bags filled with food, while Roly’s Trucking donated toys to delight La Puente’s younger residents.
The team of helpers delivered the gift packages throughout the city, including at Apartments along Orange Avenue, Hurley Elementary School, and numerous local churches, Cacheiro said.
La Puente City Councilman Charlie Klinakis thanked the organizations and businesses that have formed relationships with the sheriff’s department to make the annual giveaway possible.
“They do a lot of good for the community,” he said, noting that they take part in other charitable endeavors as well.
Klinakis said he enjoys seeing the smiles the project brings to local residents young and old.
“I’ve just got nothing but praise for our Special Assignment Team,” Klinakis said. “They go over and above what they need to to help the people in our community, and it’s appreciated.”
PHOTOS: Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies from the La Puente Special Assignment Team help distribute food and toys to families throughout La Puente on Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2015. (Courtesy)
Following the fatal shooting of an armed man by deputies at a busy Lynwood intersection Saturday captured on video by a cell phone camera, Los Angeles sheriff’s officials released additional imaged depicting the suspect clutching a handgun throughout the deadly encounter.
Nicholas Robertson, 28, of Lynwood died at the scene of the shooting, which unfolded just before 11 a.m. Saturday at Long Beach Boulevard and Magnolia Avenue, according to Los Angeles county sheriff’s and coroner officials.
Graphic cell phone camera video obtained by KTLA depicts deputies firing more than 30 bullets at Robertson, more than a dozen of which were fired as the seemingly wounded suspect crawls away from the deputies.
Sheriff’s officials released new images taken from area surveillance cameras during a news conference Sunday showing the suspect brandishing a handgun — described by investigators as a .45-caliber pistol — prior to and during the confrontation with deputies.
“He retained the weapon throughout the event. The weapon was recovered from directly beneath him,” Capt. Steve Katz of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
Witnesses, as well as physical evidence, indicated Robertson had fired his gun six to seven times into the air before deputies arrived on scene in response to half-a-dozen 911 calls reporting a gunman walking down the street, Katz said.
The gun was unloaded when recovered, however two live rounds were sitting within Robertson’s grasp, Katz said.
The gunman refused the deputy’s orders to drop his handgun and continued walked toward a gas station filled with customers, officials said.
As the suspect walked, gun in his left hand, “The movement of the suspect indicated he was motioning in the direction of the deputy sheriffs,” Katz said. The captain said Robertson motioned his weapon in deputies’ direction, but stopped short of alleging he pointed the gun at the deputies.
“The suspect presented a threat to the deputies and the community, and they took the action that they did,” Katz said. The suspect was not believed to have fired his gun toward deputies.
The information released Sunday differed from the sheriff’s departments initial account of the shooting, relayed in a written statement Saturday afternoon, which described the gun recovered from Robertson as “loaded” and stated that “Witnesses in the immediate area said they saw the suspect turn and point the gun at the deputies prior to the shooting.”
The motive for Robertson’s alleged bizarre behavior while armed was unclear, as was whether he may have been under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
“The information that we have at this point is that there may have been some domestic discord between him and a spouse that may have been a factor that agitated him to some degree, but we haven’t really verified that information yet,” Katz said.
Sheriff’s officials asked coroner’s investigators to expedite their investigation, including toxicology tests, he added.
Sheriff Jim McDonnell promised a comprehensive and transparent investigation.
“I want to ensure the public that the sheriff’s department takes deputy-involved shootings very seriously and that this investigation will be handled with the utmost professionalism and integrity,” he said.
The two involved deputies have been “reassigned from field duty, and they will remain so until we’ve gathered the facts and completed out assessment,” McDonnell said.
The involved deputies were not identified Sunday. Katz described them both as having one year and 18 months experience “in the field,” respectively.
“(Robertson) has had prior contacts with the criminal justice system, but we won’t go into great detail about him at this point,” McDonnell said.
Robertson had several misdemeanor and infraction convictions in his past, but no felonies, according to Los Angeles County Superior Court records.
Most recently, Robertson was convicted of assault in May and sentenced to four days in jail and two years of probation, records show. He also had convictions for driving on a suspended or revoked license, DUI while underage, causing a disturbance on public transit and trespassing.
The sheriff asked that anyone with additional information or video regarding the shooting to contact the sheriff’s homicide detectives, who are spearheading the investigation.
The Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau can be reached at 323-890-5500.
Surveillance video, photos *below) provided by LASD:
COMPTON >> Sheriff’s officials announced they have arrested the mother of a newborn infant found abandoned and buried alive along a Compton bike path last month.
The baby girl was believed to be no more than two days old when she was discovered buried in a crevice and covered with asphalt and other debris about 4 p.m. Nov. 27 alongside a bike path lining a riverbed near 136th Street and Slater Avenue, sheriff’s officials said at the time.
Deputy Adam Collette found the baby after responding to reports of a baby’s cries being heard in the area, according to Sgt. Marvin Jaramilla of the sheriff’s Special Victims Bureau. She was hospitalized in stable condition.
Investigators began working to track down the baby’s parents.
“As a result of the multiple leads generated due to the public’s and media’s assistance in this case, Special Victims Bureau’s detectives were able to identify and arrest the mother of the baby who was buried in the City of Compton,” Sgt. Bob Boese of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau said.
Sheriff’s officials thanked the public for their role in helping deputies track down the infant’s mother.
Details of the arrest are to be released at a news conference in Los Angeles Monday morning. The mother’s identity was not released Sunday, nor were the charges she is expected to face.
NORWALK >> Authorities have released the identity of an 18-year-old Whittier man fatally shot by deputies Tuesday after allegedly pointing a gun at the law enforcement officers.
John Anthony Gonzalez died at the scene of the 6:33 p.m. deputy-involved shooting at Imperial Highway and Pioneer Boulevard, Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner Lt. David Smith said.
A second man, who officials said also pointed a gun at deputies, was arrested without injury, deputies from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement. His identity has not been released, and it was unclear Saturday whether criminal charges had been filed against him.
Sheriff’s officials said they recovered both suspects’ guns, but have released no further details regarding the shooting or what led up to it.
COMPTON >> The muffled cries of a newborn baby girl led deputies to discover the infant buried alive beneath asphalt and other debris along a Compton bike path Friday afternoon, authorities said.
The infant was believed to be 36 to 48 hours old when she was discovered about 4 p.m., buried under debris in a crevice alongside a bike path lining a riverbed near 136th Street and Slater Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement. She was ultimately hospitalized in stable condition.
Deputies received reports of a baby’s cries being heard emanating from the riverbed, according to Sgt. Marvin Jaramilla of the sheriff’s Special Victims Bureau.
While searching the area, “deputies heard a baby’s muffled cry and located a
newborn baby girl buried alive under pieces of asphalt and rubble inside a crevice located along the bike path,” Jaramilla said. “Deputies removed the pieces of asphalt and debris and rescued the baby from the crevice.”
The girl was wrapped in a blanket and cold to the touch, he said. After being treated by Compton Fire Department paramedics, she was taken to a hospital where she remained under observation Saturday.
Detectives ask anyone with information regarding the abandonment to contact the Special Victims Bureau at 877-710-5273. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 80222-8477.
Authorities reminded the public of the county’s “Safe Surrender” program, under which newborn babies showing no signs of abuse may be dropped off at hospitals and fire stations with no questions asked within 72 hours of birth. For more information, visit www.babysafela.org.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
WHITTIER >> A rookie Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy is accused of molesting a 12-year-old girl he met through an online video game over the course of a year, officials said Thursday.
Costa Mesa police, aided by Los Angeles county sheriff’s officials, arrested Jovanni Argueta, 26, of Los Angeles at a sheriff’s training facility in Whittier Wednesday afternoon, Costa Mesa police Lt. Greg Scott said.
Police first began investigating Argueta Oct. 22 after responding to a report of a “suspicious male” seen on the campus of Costa Mesa Middle School, police said in a written statement. The man had left the campus when officers arrived, but was quickly identified as Argueta, a deputy in the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Detectives learned that Argueta and the victim, now-13 years old, had met a year earlier via an online fantasy computer game, officials said.
“Over the course of the year, when the female student was 12 years old, Argueta met with her on numerous occasions,” according to the police statement. “Argueta reportedly performed sexual acts with the girl. Argueta would meet the girl both on campus and away from school.”
Scott said Argueta has been a sworn Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy for less than a year.
Argueta was hired by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in August of 2013, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement. He was assigned to a men’s jail facility.
“The 26-year-old deputy was immediately relieved of duty, pending the outcome of the criminal investigation,” according to the LASD statement.
“We will be monitoring the criminal proceedings closely and will take appropriate and swift action when the outcome of the judicial process has concluded,” the statement continued.
“The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department expects all of its members to hold themselves to the highest ethical and professional standards at all times,” according to the statement. “Allegations of this magnitude are disturbing and disappointing. Any proven criminal, or other acts of misconduct that violate public trust will not be tolerated and immediate appropriate remedies will be taken by the Department as permitted by law.”
Argueta was booked on suspicion of child molestation and child annoyance.
Argueta posted $100,000 bail Thursday and was released from jail pending his initial court appearance, according to Orange County booking records.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Costa Mesa Police Department at 714-754-5281. Orange County Crime Stoppers can also be reached anonymously at 855-847-6227.
BOOKING PHOTO of Jovanni Argueta, 26, of Los Angeles courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
SIERRA MADRE >> Sierra Madre’s city officials will meet with Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials Monday to discuss the sheriff’s department’s proposal to take over police services in the city, replacing the Sierra Madre Police Department.
The Sheriff’s Contract Proposal Committee will meet with sheriff’s officials at 6 p.m. at the Sierra Madre Council Chambers, 232 Sierra Madre Blvd., city officials said in a written statement.
Those unable to attend may email concerns or questions to the Public Safety Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.