MONROVIA — A man is accused of assault with a deadly weapon and drug possession after intentionally striking another man with a car, then getting beaten up by his victim, police said.
Jorge Castillo, 44, of Simi Valley was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and drug possession following the incident, encounter, which unfolded just after 7 p.m. in a parking lot in the 900 block of West Huntington Drive, Monrovia police Lt. Michael Lee said.
The confrontation began when the 60-year-old victim asked the suspect to shut his car door to allow the victim’s girlfriend to get into his car, the lieutenant said. But the suspect refused, and the victim shut the door himself so his girlfriend could pass.
As the victim walked past again, the suspect opened the car door again, striking the victim, Lee said. The victim announced he was calling the police and attempted to take photograph of the suspect’s rear license plate.
The suspect then backed into the victim, knocking him to the ground, Lee said. He then yelled at the man as he lie on the ground and challenged him to fight.
But the victim “apparently knew a thing or two about fighting,” Lee said. He pummeled his attacker before the suspect fled. Police captured the suspect as he approached a nearby motel.
As police prepared to have the suspect’s car towed away because he was being arrested, they discovered more than 10 grams of a substance believed to be methamphetamine, as well as hundreds of prescription pills, which were primarily painkillers, Lee said.
The victim was not seriously injured, he added.
MONROVIA — A teenager used his skateboard to fight off a would-be robber armed with a knife late Thursday, officials said.
The encounter took place just after 9:10 p.m. in the courtyard of an apartment complex in the 100 block of West Colorado Boulevard, Monrovia police Sgt. Glen Coleman said.
The failed robber approached the teen, pulled a knife and demanded the teen’s skateboard, Coleman said.
But rather than turn over the skateboard, the teen struck the knife-wielding man with it and ran away, the sergeant said.
Police described the would-be robber as a man in his 30s, of dark complexion, about 5 feet 9 inches tall, wearing a heavy gray and black striped jacket and checkered shorts. He had lip piercings on both sides of his mouth.
Police searched the area, but the man remained at-large late Thursday.
Detectives are seeking the killer or killers of an 18-year-old new father who was shot to death while walking home from work early Sunday in an unincorporated county area between Monrovia and Duarte.
Coroner’s officials haven’t officially identify the shooting victim, however devastated family members and friends identified him as Malcolm Mency.
He lived just around the corner from Broderick and Felberg avenues, where he was fatally shot just after midnight, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials and family members said. He was taken to an area hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds.
No suspect description was available in the slaying, deputies from the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau said in a written statement.
“Deputies from the Temple Sheriff’s Station responded to the location regarding a report of a person down. When deputies arrived, they found the victim on the ground, suffering from a gunshot wound.”
Family members said Mency had been shot five times, including once in the head. An autopsy had not yet been carried out.
Handling detectives could not be reached for comment Sunday.
The young father was looking forward to his first Christmas with his 3-week-old son, Malcolm Mency II, said his girlfriend and the baby’s mother, LeBreonna Moore. He had scheduled the next week off to spend time with his family.
He was walking home from his job at a nearby Sonic restaurant when he was shot, Moore said. She spoke with him on the phone just minutes before the shooting.
“He said he got off early,” Moore said. He added that he was walking home, and was almost there.
“Five or 10 minutes later, I heard gunshots,” she said. She soon learned it was Mency who had been shot.
Friends and family members gathered at the scene of the shooting Sunday to console one another and leave candles and flowers on the spot where Mency was shot.
Loved ones said Mency was not involved with gangs and had no enemies.
“He stayed out of trouble,” Moore said. “All he talked about was our baby.”
Sister Dalisa Kline said her brother grew up in the area and graduated Mt. Olive High School at age 16.
He then studied medical assisting at Everett College and was interning at a medical office in Industry, family members said.
“This is not right. My brother did not deserve this,” Kline said through tears.
Sheriff’s investigators released no officials motive in the killing, however the unincorporated county area where the shooting took place, known to some as “No Man’s Land,” has long been a battlefield for rival gangs that inhabit nearby neighborhoods.
Officials obtained an injunction in 2010 against two local street gang a portion of Monrovia and No Man’s Land following violence between feuding gangs that resulted in 65 shooting and eight homicides in 2007 and early-2008. Duarte officials did not join in the injunction.
A longtime neighborhood resident who asked that his name be withheld for fear of retaliation said he slept through the shooting and learned of it when he awoke Sunday morning.
“He was a good kid. He wasn’t a gang banger,” the neighbor said. “He was quiet. He stayed to himself. I just saw him and his girlfriend hanging.”
And although he said he was outraged by the teen’s slaying, he said he had feared violence was on the horizon since a massive piece of graffiti appeared on a wall along a wash only dozens of yards from the shooting scene.
The graffiti displayed the name of a local gang, along with the names of other local gangs crossed out in a sign of intentional disrespect.
“I knew this was going to start something,” he said of the spray-painted wall. “I saw that and I just shook my head.”
He said he believed Mency got caught in the middle of the gang dispute.
“They were just looking for someone to shot. Malcolm was just the first person they saw,” the neighbor said. “It’s crazy, these youngsters killing each other. And for what? And the innocent ones get killed.”
MONROVIA — Police sought help from the public Thursday in cracking a residential burglary case.
The break-in took place about 3 p.m. Dec. 7 at a home in the 200 block of Evergreen Avenue, Monrovia police officials said in a written statement. Images of the two burglars and their car were captured on surveillance footage, which investigators hope will lead to their capture.
The two men arrived in a silver, four-door sedan similar to a Lexus 300-series wit tinted windows, exited and went into the backyard, police said.
“They entered the residence by breaking the rear glass door,” according to the police statement. The silver car drove up and down the street as the burglars were inside the home.
The men fled with cash and jewelry just as the resident arrived home, officials said. The resident did not see the intruders.
Similar burglaries have been reported elsewhere in the area, and police advised residents to be alert.
“This incident is similar to many other burglaries that have recently occurred in the San Gabriel Valley,” according to the police statement. “Several of the incidents involve suspects using luxury model rental vehicles. The suspects knock on the front door, after no answer, they proceed to enter the rear yard and force entry into a rear door or window of the residence.”
Anyone who sees anything suspicious is encouraged to contact local police immediately.
Anyone with information regarding the Monrovia burglar is asked to contact Detective S. Bushmeyer at 626-256-8047, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Monrovia man arrested last week on suspicion of assault after confronting a burglar with ninja swords and a pocket knife will not face criminal charges, officials said.
Jesse Runge, 35, was initially booked for assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the incident, which unfolded late Nov. 12, according to Monrovia police and Los Angeles County booking records.
Prosecutors reviewed the case Friday and elected not to file charges against Runge, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Shiara Davila-Morales said. “The case was declined due to insufficient evidence.”
Runge returned home shortly before midnight Tuesday to find his house ransacked and several items missing, both police and Runge said. Runge said he immediately suspected acquaintance Jeremi Weber, 30, as the culprit, and called police to report the break-in and the identity of the possible suspect.
While still on the phone with police, Runge said tracking software on his cell phone alerted him that his iPad was located at Weber’s home nearby in the 400 block of East Foothill Boulevard. He said he handed the phone with which he was talking to police over to his fiancee and rushed to Weber’s home to confront him and get his property back.
As he exited his car, Runge said he grabbed two sheathed, ornamental ninja swords that were in his vehicle. He said he did so because Weber had previously bragged to him about having guns.
“I admit it was stupid to walk to the door with those,” Runge said, but added that the swords never left their sheaths.
About that time, his fiancee joined him outside Weber’s home and took the swords from him, Runge said. She began yelling at Weber’s home, and Weber emerged.
Weber threw a soda, swung a backpack and threatened to “blast” both Runge and his pregnant fiancee as the men argued and slowly moved along Foothill Boulevard, according to Runge. When Weber began reaching into his pocket and backpack as if for a weapon, he said his fiancee then handed him a pocket knife she had been carrying. But he said he did not use it or try to use it on Weber.
Runge then flagged down a police officer that was nearby as Weber darted between two houses, Runge said. Police detained Runge, and soon also had Weber in custody.
Weber’s backpack was found to contain most of the items stolen from Runge’s home, Monrovia police Lt. Michael Lee said. Police also found Weber to be in possession of heroin and prescription pills. Weber had a small cut on his arm which he claimed Runge inflicted with the pocket knife. Officers took both men to jail.
Runge said he was not only infuriated to be locked up in jail alongside the man who burglarized his home, his father paid $3,000 to a bail bondsman to free him from jail, which is not refundable even though charges are not to be filed against him. “That’s the worst part about the whole thing.”
Weber, who was arrested for burglary and drug possession, pleaded “no contest” to a charge of first-degree burglary when he appeared Tuesday in Pasadena Superior Court, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Shiara Davila-Morales said. Two drug-related charges were dismissed, and he was immediately sentenced to one year in jail and three years of formal probation.
In addition to the burglary and drug possession case stemming from the Nov. 12 incident, Weber also appeared in court Tuesday in connection with a pre-existing case for receiving stolen property, Davila-Morales said. He pleaded “no contest” in that case as well and was immediately sentenced to another year in jail, along with three years of formal probation.
Even after all the trouble, Runge said he did not entirely regret his actions. He said he believed police would not have arrived at Weber’s home in time to prevent him from leaving the with stolen property.
Among the items recovered from Weber’s backpack was a gold, family heirloom pocket watch that had belonged to his great grandfather, Runge said.
“I can’t say I would do it differently, because I got that back,” he said.
UPDATE: Prosecutors reviewed the case against Jesse Runge on Nov. 15 and declined to file charges against him citing, “insufficient evidence.” Jeremi Weber remained in custody Nov. 18 in lieu of $200,000 bail and was scheduled for arraignment Nov. 19 in Pasadena Superior Court on burglary and drug-related charges.
MONROVIA — A Monrovia man whose home was burglarized by a friend late Tuesday armed himself with a sword in an attempt to take justice into his own hands, officials said. Both he and the alleged burglar, who suffered a minor cut in the confrontation, were behind bars Wednesday.
Jesse Roland Runge, 35, of Monrovia was booked on assault with a deadly weapon following the incident, while Jeremi Hoover Weber, 29, of Monrovia was booked on suspicion of burglary and drug possession, according to Monrovia police and Los Angeles County booking records.
Runge returned home shortly before midnight Tuesday and found his home in the 200 block of Valle Vista Avenue had been burglarized, Monrovia police Lt. Michael Lee said. Among the missing items was Runge’s iPad.
The tablet computer was equipped with tracking software, which Grunge used to determine the iPad was located at the home of his friend, Weber, in the 400 block of East Foothill Boulevard, Lee said.
But instead of notifying police, Lee said, Runge allegedly armed himself with a sword and a pocket knife and headed to the home of his friend to get his property back.
He confronted Weber at his home and began chasing him with the sword and pocket knife, Lee said. Weber suffered a minor cut to his forearm from the knife.
As Weber fled his home, he took with him a backpack which contained the allegedly stolen property, as well as heroin and prescription pills not prescribed to him, Lee said.
Police arrived to reports of a fight, detained both men and seized the backpack, Lee said. Weber was treated at the scene for the cut to his forearm before being taken to jail.
According to county booking records, Runge was being held in lieu of $30,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, while Weber was being held in lieu of $25,00 bail.
MONROVIA — Seven people went to the hospital early Saturday after a car containing a family crashed into another car that was disabled with a flat tire on the 210 Freeway in Monrovia, authorities said.
The crash took place just after 5 a.m. on the westbound 210 Freeway, just east of Huntington Drive, California Highway Patrol officer Ed Jacobs said.
A 20-year-old Ontario man was driving a Volkswagen Jetta when it became disabled with a tire in the carpool lane, CHP Acting Sergeant Robyn Madeira said. His passenger, a 21-year-old El Monte man, exited the car and was standing in front of it when it was struck from behind by a Toyota Camry.
The impact pushed the Jetta forward, in turn striking the El Monte man, Madeira said. He suffered facial lacerations and other injuries but was alert when taken to a hospital where he was listed in stable condition.
The driver of the disabled Jetta suffered minor injuries and was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving, the sergeant said, though his alleged intoxication was not suspected to have played a role in the crash.
The Camry that struck the disabled Jetta contained a Cathedral City family of five, Madeira said. A man who was driving and his wife suffered minor injuries. Two daughters, ages 17 and 24, suffered moderate injuries, and an 8-year-old son suffered minor injuries.
Two of the patients were unconscious immediately following the crash, according to CHP logs.
Madeira said the investigation had not turned up evidence of reckless driving or high speed involved in the crash, as was initially reported to the CHP by at least one 9-1-1 caller to the CHP.
The crash prompted officials to issue a Sig Alert on the westbound 210 Freeway through 6:38 a.m., according to CHP logs.
Officers from the Baldwin Park office of the CHP were handling the investigation.
A house was gutted, two firefighters suffered minor burns and a pet dog was rescued in a fire along Royal Oaks Drive early Sunday, officials said.
The fire was first reported at 3:16 a.m. at a single-story house in the 400 block of Royal Oaks Drive, just east of California Avenue, Monrovia Fire Department Division Chief Ron Pelham said.
A couple who lives in the home had managed to get out unharmed when firefighters arrived, he said. A third resident of the home — their granddaughter — was not present at the time of the fire.
Firefighters also rescued a small white dog from inside the burning home unharmed, Pelham said.
Two firefighters were treated for minor burns suffered while battling the blaze, but were quickly treated and released from the hospital, Pelham said. Firefighters extinguished the flames in about 20 minutes.
The home was badly damaged, however it was not yet determined whether it would be a total loss, officials said.
The cause of the fire was under investigation.
A Monrovia man previously convicted in connection with a string of bomb threats in Pasadena pleaded not guilty Friday to six counts of phoning in threats of shootings to San Gabriel Valley schools, hospitals and a mall last month.
Gerardo Cortez, 26, entered the plea in West Covina Superior Court. He was ordered back to court Dec. 6 for another hearing, Los Angeles County Superior Court officials said.
He’s charged with six counts of making criminal threats and five counts of falsely reporting an emergency in connection with the recent string of threats throughout the San Gabriel Valley, which took place Sept. 9 through Sept. 12. In all the cases, he threatened to carry out shootings with an AK-47 assault rifle.
The first incident on Sept. 9 threatened “Citrus Medical Center,” officials said. The vague threat prompted officials to search hospital campuses in Covina, West Covina and Glendora.
A second threat was also phone in Sept. 9 to Santa Fe Middle School in Monrovia.
Threats against Duarte High School, Northview Intermediate school in Duarte and the Westfield Santa Anita shopping mall in Arcadia were received Sept. 10.
And on Sept. 12, officials responded to another shooting threat phoned in to Arcadia High School.
Cortez already has a conviction for making a false bomb threat in connection with a series of bomb threats against a Pasadena school, post office and health department building in October of 2012. Two additional charges of making bomb threats, and another count of attempting to make a criminal threat, were dismissed as part of a a plea deal between Cortez and the prosecution.
He served 8 months of a 16-month sentence after being sent to jail under AB 109 guidelines and released in June, according to Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials and county records.
MONROVIA – A crash involving three vehicles and a pedestrian sent three people to the hospital Wednesday, though the injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, authorities said.
The crash took place about 9:35 a.m. at Huntington Drive and Magnolia Avenue, Monrovia Fire Department Capt. Christopher Donovan said
The pedestrian, a man estimated to be in his mid-40s, ended up going through the windshield of one of the vehicles, the chief said. He was taken hospitalized with head injuries.
A 41-year-old woman who was driving one of the involved vehicles was also hospitalized as a trauma patient based on the damage to her car, but was not believed to have suffered major injuries, Donovan added. A 37-year-old man driving another one of the involved vehicles was treated for apparently minor injuries.
The specific circumstances of the collision remained under investigation, however Monrovia police Lt. Michael Lee said it was initially believed that the pedestrian was crossing the street on a green light when one of the vehicles ran a red light, triggering the crash. It had not yet been determined which vehicle was at fault.
No citations or arrests had been made Wednesday as the investigation continued.