MONTEBELLO — Homicide detectives are investigating after human remains were discovered along Lincoln Avenue Wednesday, officials said.
The discovery was reported along the Rio Hondo riverbed adjacent to the 900 block of East Lincoln Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s and Montebello police officials said. The find was reported by a bicyclist early Wednesday afternoon.
Montebello police Lt. Michael Bergman said the remains, initially described as skeletal and “minimal.”
The remains had been there “some time,” Lt. Dave Dolson of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said. A more specific time frame was not available.
The bones had been scattered, apparently by animals, Dolston added.
Detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau were helping Montebello police with the investigation, and anyone with information was asked to contact the bureau at 323-890-5500.
MONTEBELLO — A 39-year-old Carson man was killed Wednesday when his motorcycle hit a truck Wednesday afternoon.
Francisco Estrada Jr. died at the scene of the 1:38 p.m. crash in the 6900 block of Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. Larry Dietz said..
Montebello police Sgt. Larry Jackson said a Penske truck was backing into the westbound lanes to enter a business.
Estrada, who was westbound on Washington Boulevard ,collided with the side of the truck, he added.
The rider died at the scene.
MONTEBELLO — A man robbed a Montebello donut shop early Tuesday and is suspected of robbing the same shop last week, authorities said.
The most recent crime took place about 1:45 a.m. at Sunshine Donuts, 201. E. Beverly Boulevard, Montebello police Lt. Michael Bergman said.
The robber entered the store and motioned as if he had a handgun, though no gun was seen, the lieutenant said.
He threatened to kill the employee and demanded money, Bergman said. He fled without about $40.
Police described the robber as a Latino man in his mid-20s with a his right arm sleeved with tattoos. He wore a white cap, a black T-shirt and black sunglasses.
Bergman said the man was beleived to be the same robber who held up the donut shop last week.
According to police logs, a robbery was reported at the same location about 1:55 a.m. July 8. Further details were not immediately available.
MONTEBELLO — A man died early Friday following a struggle with Montebello police officers in which in officer suffered a broken arm, officials said.
The name of the man was not released pending confirmation that his family had been notified, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said. He was initially described as a Montebello man in his 40s, though it was unclear if he lived at the home where the incident unfolded.
He died at a hospital just under an hour after the incident, which took place about 12:15 a.m. in the 1000 block of Carob Way, just south of Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
The officers went to the home after the man called to request medical help, Deputy Aura Sierra of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Headquarters Burea said. It was unclear what type of medical problem the man was experiencing.
“Upon arrival, the suspect exited the house and began to fight with the officers,” Sierra said. “The officers used physical force and a Taser to subdue the suspect.”
The man showed signs of a medical issue and was taken to Beverly Hospital, where he died at 1:12 a.m., Winter said.
According to coroner’s documents, Winter said, “He was hostile. They restrained him. While restrained, he became unconscious.”
An officer suffered a broken arm in the scuffle, Sierra said. He was treated and released at a local hospital.
Montebello police deferred all comments to the sheriff’s department.
By late Friday morning, a few pieces of medical supplies such as alcohol swabs discarded on a front lawn were the only signs of the incident.
No one answered the doors at a duplex that sits behind the yard.
Neighbor Jose Jimenez, 48, who is blind, said he heard what sounded like five male voices yelling before police arrived.
Another neighbor, Rosario Silva, 60, said from her apartment, she heard police yelling repeatedly for someone to show them his hands.
“They repeated it many times,” she said, adding that she estimated the officers repeated the command about 10 times.
Silva said she did not see what occurred between the man and police officers.
Detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau are spearheading the investigation, and anyone with information was encouraged to contact the bureau at 323-890-5500.
MONTEBELLO — A task force made comprised of both local and federal law enforcement officers took part in a large sweep targeting gangs in Montebello early Wednesday, culminating a lengthy investigation that has resulted in the arrest of multiple murder suspects, authorities said.
Agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms joined Montebello police and other agencies in Wednesday’s raids, which came at the end of an investigation that’s been underway for several years, Montebello police Lt. Luis Lopez said.
Further details of the operation were to be released at a press conference late Wednesday morning.
MONTEBELLO — A 15-year-old Montebello boy suffered minor injuries Saturday in a shooting in a residential neighborhood, police said.
The attack took place about 2:50 p.m. as the teen was walking in the 400 block of N. Poplar Avenue, Montebello police Lt. Rick Rojas said.
The motive and circumstances of the shooting remained under investigation, the lieutenant said.
The teen, who suffered a grazing wound to the upper body in the shooting, provided little information to investigators, Rojas said. “He’s not being real cooperative.”
Police described the shooter as a man in his 20s or 30s, about 5 feet 8 inches tall and of thin build. He wore blue jeans, a blue hat and a blue shirt which he used to cover his face.
Officers searched the area, however the attacker was not found.
MONTEBELLO — A man accused of ambushing and fatally shooting his 24-year-old wife early Saturday when she showed up for work at a Washington Boulevard restaurant turned himself in to police in Whittier Sunday, authorities said.
Arthur Andrade Jr., 29, of Tustin, arrived at the Whittier Police Department shortly after 2 a.m. and turned himself in, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Rich Pena and county booking records. He was booked on suspicion of murder in the slaying of Sonia Esperanza of East Los Angeles
The couple was in the process of getting a divorce, and Esperanza had obtained a restraining order against her husband, Lt. John Corina of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
The shooting took place about 8:15 a.m. in the parking lot of Chago Ahogados, on Washington Boulevard at 4th Street, sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
It was not clear if Andrade followed Esperanza to work, or perhaps waited nearby until she arrived, but he confronted her while she was still sitting in her Ford Focus in restaurant’s parking lot, Corina said.
“An argument ensues,” he said. “He pulls out a gun and shoots her.”
Esperanza was struck several times in the head and upper body, Corina said. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Andrade fled the area in a dark-colored car, possibly a Ford Mustang, according to Montebello police and sheriff’s officials. The car was last seen heading east on Washington Boulevard.
Though still married, Esperanza was in the process of getting a divorce from her husband, Corina said.
She had obtained a restraining order against him, alleging that he had been “assaultive” toward her, the lieutenant said.
Investigators Saturday announced they were seeking Andrade as a suspect in the killing and released his photograph to the media.
The gun used in the killing had not been located Sunday, officials said.
Andrade was scheduled to appear in East Los Angeles Superior Court for arraignment Tuesday.
Anyone with information can reach the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
PHOTO of Arthur Andrade Jr. Courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
MONTEBELLO — The search continued Thursday for a “person of interest” following stabbing death of his 63-year-old girlfriend inside the Montebello home they shared, authorities said.
Emelio Martinez, 51, remained unaccounted for following the Feb. 20 discovery of the body of his roommate Carmen King Feb. 20 at the couple’s home in the 600 block of North 20th Street, Lt. Holly Francisco of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
An autopsy determined she died from multiple stab wounds and the death was ruled a homicide, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
Though detectives have wanted to talk to Martinez since the killing, they have been unable to find him, Francisco said.
But the lieutenant stopped short of calling Martinez a suspect in the slaying.
“We just believe he’s probably the last person who had contact with her,” she said.
Francisco added that investigators were not seeking any other persons of interest in the case.
Martinez was believed to have family members in other countries, however Francisco declined to elaborate further.
Missing from King’s home when a family members discovered her body just before 6 p.m. Feb. 20 was King’s car, which officials described as a burgundy 2000 Dodge Stratus with a California license plate number of 4JMC641.
It was not clear exactly how long King’s body may have been there before it was discovered, however she was seen alive on Feb. 17, Winter said.
King was the caretaker of an elderly resident of the home who died of natural causes earlier in the month, officials said.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
PHOTO of Emelio Martinez courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
MONTEBELLO — Investigators sought a man for questioning Thursday after his roommate was discovered fatally stabbed in their house, authorities said.
The body of Carmen King, 63, was found shortly before 6 p.m. Wednesday at a house in the 600 block of North 20th Street, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
Emelio Martinez, 51, was a ‘person of interest’ in the slaying of his roommate, whose body was discovered by a family member who went to the home to check on the woman, Lt. Holly Francisco of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said. The Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau is assisting Montebello police in the investigation.
“She hadn’t been heard from in couple days,” Francisco said.
King had been stabbed multiple times in the “upper torso,” Francisco said. Detectives declined to discuss what type of weapon was used or whether it was recovered at the scene.
Detectives have been unable to locate King’s roommate since the body was found, officials said.
“We want to talk to Emilio Martinez, who we believe probably had last contact with the victim,” Francisco said. But investigators stopped short of labeling Martinez a suspect in the killing.
Also missing was the King’s car, the lieutenant said. It was described as a burgundy 2000 Dodge Stratus with a California license plate number of 4JMC641.
Other than being roommates, the relationship between Martinez and the dead woman was not clear, officials said.
It was also not known Thursday exactly how long King had been dead before her body was discovered, Francisco said.
An autopsy was pending, Winter said.
King was believed to have been working as a caretaker for an elderly resident of the home who died of natural causes earlier this month, Francisco said. Nothing criminal was suspected in that death.
No information was available regarding Martinez’s employment or past.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips can also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
Anyone who spots Martinez or King’s Dodge Stratus was advised not to approach him, but to call 9-1-1 immediately.
MONTEBELLO — Rescuers rushed to help after receiving a call of a woman going into labor on a sidewalk Saturday, but the impatient baby girl was already waiting to greet them when they arrived, officials said.
Officials received a 9-1-1 call shortly before 9 a.m. reporting a Pico Rivera woman in her late-30s had gone into labor on sidewalk at Beverly Boulevard and Taylor Avenue, Montebello police Capt. Brad Keller said.
Police arrived first, however the baby did not wait for their arrival, according to the captain. She had already been born.
Officers stood by until paramedics arrived and took the new mother and infant to a hospital, Keller said. Both were believed to being doing well.