MONTEREY PARK — Detectives continued seeking clues Thursday in the death of a A 51-year-old man who was found slain inside his Monterey Park bedroom.
Yanan Wang was found bleeding from the head just before 1 p.m. Wednesday inside his bedroom in a back house in the 700 block of Hellman Avenue, between New and Orange Avenues, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Dave Dolson said.
His landlord, who lives in the front house, discovered the man bleeding from the head and called 9-1-1, Monterey Park police Lt. Bill Cuevas said.
“He has a single gunshot wound to the head,” Cuevas said.
Police and Monterey Park Fire Department paramedics rushed to the scene, where Wang was pronounced dead, officials said.
An autopsy had not been carried out Thursday, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
Information regarding when Wang was last seen alive was not available.
Wang was believed to have rented a room in the back house for the past three months or so, Cuevas said. He lived alone.
No arrests had been made as of Thursday, and suspect description was available.
There were no signs the home had been broken into, Cuevas said.
Neighbors did not report hearing any gunshots or other commotion, investigators added.
An area resident who asked his name be withheld said he saw a large Chinese man he did not recognize leaving the property about 12:20 p.m. Saturday.
The man, who stood about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighed about 180 pounds, carried a box and appeared to be in a hurry as he walked west along the sidewalk away from the home, the witness said.
Investigators said they had no information regarding any visitors to the home prior to the discovery of Wang’s body.
Sheriff’s homicide detectives, who are spearheading the investigation, couldn’t be reached for comment.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
PHOTO investigators search for clues by flashlight following the fatal shooting of a man at a home int he 700 block of East Hellman Avenue in Monterey Park on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014.
MONTEREY PARK — Officials Saturday have released the name of a 23-year-old woman found dead on suspicious circumstances inside her Monterey Park apartment and announced the arrest of her boyfriend on suspicion of her murder.
Jaqueline Alamillo was pronounced dead shortly after she was found unconscious about 4:30 a.m. Friday at her apartment in the 1700 block of College View Drive, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. Larry Dietz said.
Her boyfriend, 35-year-old Daniel Hernandez, was initially detained as a person of interest in the death, sheriff’s officials said.
But he was booked on suspicion of murder shortly after 8 p.m. Friday, according to officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
Alamillo’s cause of death was not immediately apparent, sheriff’s investigators said, and an autopsy had not yet been carried out at the coroner’s office Saturday.
Deputies found Alamillo dead in a bedroom of her apartment after going there to check on her welfare at the request of relatives who had grown worried about her, according to Lt. Dave Coleman of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, which is assisting Monterey Park police in the investigation.
The suspect’s brother had left the apartment late Thursday because Hernandez was acting strangely, the lieutenant said.
Police received reports about an hour later of a man — later identified as Hernandez — behaving bizarrely and yelling at cars several blocks away, officials said.
At the time of his arrest, Hernandez was scheduled to appear in court Dec. 18 on an unrelated case, according to Los Angeles County booking records. Details of the ongoing case were not available Friday, however Hernandez had been freed
after posting $26,000 bail, documents show.
A man of the same name and birthdate has a violent criminal history listed in Los Angeles County Superior Court records, though officials were not available Saturday to confirm whether the murder suspect was the same man.
The listed criminal history includes three 2004 convictions for possession of a loaded firearm with previous felony convictions, a 1998 conviction for robbery, a 1997 conviction for participating in a street race and a 2007 conviction for assault.
Hernandez was being held without bail pending his initial court appearance in the murder case, scheduled for Wednesday in Alhambra Superior Court.
— Staff Writer Ruby Gonzales contributed to this report.
MONTEREY PARK — Deputies sought the public’s help Friday tracking down a man who stabbed another man in the throat during an unprovoked attack on a commuter bus last month.
The stabbing, which detectives are investigating as an attempted murder, took place at 7:17 p.m. Nov. 3 on a Metropolitan Transit Authority bus as it made it’s way through Monterey Park, Officials from the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Transit Services Bureau said. The attack, which was captured on surveillance video, took place as the bus was at Atlantic Boulevard and Garvey Avenue.
Both the victim and suspect boarded the bus about the same time just before the incident, sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
The assailant in the seemingly random attack was not believed to know his victim, officials added.
“The victim stated that the suspect got up from his seat, and thought he was exiting the bus. Instead the suspect, unprovoked, stabbed the victim in the throat with a knife or other sharp object and ran off the bus,” according to the statement. “Detectives also confirmed this via the bus video.”
Investigators described the unidentified suspect was described as a about 30 years old, Latino, 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, with short black or brown hair, a mustache and a goatee. He wore a light-colored shirt and dark shorts when the stabbing took place.
The stabbing victim, a 54-year-old East Los Angeles man, was initially hospitalized in serious condition, but was expected to make a full recovery, sheriff’s spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said.
Detective Kyle Ynclan of the Sheriff’s Transportation Services Bureau said Metro buses and trains are generally “a very safe mode of transportation.”
“That’s why when someone commits a crime like this, he must be brought to justice,” the detective said.
With the attacker’s image captured on surveillance footage, “there are times like these when we need the public to help identify a criminal like this so that we can stop them from committing another crime.”
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Sheriff’s Transit Services Bureau at 323-8563-5000. Tips may also be submitted anonymously via L.A. Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
The FBI and local law enforcement officials are seeking two bank robbers dubbed the “New Hat Bandits” in connection with five Los Angeles County bank heists in the past six weeks.
The robbers are linked to two robberies in Monterey Park, one in Rosemead and most recently, the bandits have turned their attention toward two banks in Manhattan Beach , FBI officials said in a written statement.
“The New Hat Bandits are described by witnesses as black males who wear baseball hats that appear to be new,” according to the statement. “During the robberies, the New Hat Bandits enter the bank and make oral and written demands for cash.”
According to the FBI, the robbers struck Tuesday at Citibank, 2710 N. Sepulveda Boulevard in Manhattan Beach, as well as Nov. 22 at a U.S. Bank Branch at 3300 N. Sepulveda Blvd. in Manhattan Beach.
They previously robbed the Cathay Bank at 250 S. Atlantic Blvd. in Monterey Park on No. 14; the Pacific Alliance Bank at 8400 E. Valley Blvd. in Rosemead on Halloween; and the Chase bank at 459 S. Atlantic Blvd. in Monterey Park on Oct. 23, officials said.
In the first four crimes, only one of the bandits at a time entered the banks to carry out the robberies, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said. But both robbers were seen during Wedesday’s robbery.
Authorities described the bandits as black men in their 30s between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 8 inches tall and between 150 and 170 pounds. A black Lincoln Navigator SUV has been described by witnesses as a possible getaway vehicle.
No weapons have been seen during the robberies, Eimiller said.
Anyone with information was urged to call the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office at 888-226-8443, or 9-1-1.
MOTNEREY PARK — Police are seeking a 42-year-old woman with diminished mental capacity who went missing Saturday in Monterey Park, officials said.
Tracy Carriger, who has the mental capacity of a 6-year-old child, was last seen about 5:45 a.m. in the 2000 block of Graylock Avenue, Monterey park police officials said in a written statement. She requires medication, which she does not have with her.
She is white, 5 feet tall and 170 pounds, police said. She was wearing an unknown color dress when she disappeared.
Anyone who spots the missing woman is asked to contact local police or dial 9-1-1 immediately.
PHOTO courtesy of the Monterey Park Police Department
MONTEREY PARK — Authorities have released the name of an elderly Monterey Park man was fatally struck by a city work truck over the weekend in his hometown of Monterey Park.
Wen Shao Ruan, 89, died at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center shorty after he was struck by the pickup truck shortly before 10 a.m. Saturday at Newmark and Ynez avenues, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Capt. John Kades said. An autopsy found he died from blunt head trauma, and the death was ruled an accident.
Ruan was crossing south across Newmark Avenue within a marked crosswalk when he was struck by a Ford F-350 pickup truck being driven by a city employee in his 20s, California Highway Patrol Officer Timothy Kinyon said. The truck had been making a left turn from northbound Ynez Avenue onto westbound Newmark Avenue when it struck the pedestrian.
The cause of the crash remained under investigation by officers from the East Los Angeles office of the CHP, though nothing criminal was initially suspected.
Monterey Park police asked the CHP to handle the investigation to avoid any conflict of interest, officials said.
MONTEREY PARK — An elderly man suffered major injuries early Saturday when he was struck by a city work truck while crossing Newmark Avenue, officials said.
The collision took place just before 10 a.m. at Newmark and Ynez avenues, Monterey Park police Lt. Eric Kim said.
The 89-year-old man was walking south across Newmark Avenue within a marked crosswalk when he was struck by Ford F-350 pickup truck being operated by the Monterey Park Recreation and Community Services Department, California Highway Patrol Officer Timothy Kinyon said.
The driver of the truck, a city employee in his early-20s, was making a left turn from northbound Ynez Avenue to westbound Newmark Avenue when the truck struck the pedestrian, Kinyon said.
The elderly man was rushed to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center for treatment of “major injuries,” Kinyon said. An update on his condition was not available Saturday afternoon.
The intersection is regulated by four-way stop signs, he added.
The cause of the crash remained under investigation by officers from the Altadena office of the CHP, however nothing criminal was initially suspected, the officer said.
Because the crash involved a city-owned vehicle, officials said, Monterey Park police requested that the CHP handle the investigation to avoid any conflict of interest.
LOS ANGELES — An Alhambra man received a sentence of more than 7 years in federal prison Thursday for heading a global credit card fraud ring that netted more than $1 million, authorities said.
Zhanghang Wu, 38, received his 87-month prison sentence from United States District Judge John A. Kronstadt in federal court in Los Angeles, U.S. Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Thom Mrozek said in a written statement. He pleaded guilty in December, 2012, to charges of conspiracy and credit card fraud.
He was convicted of leading a fraud ring that, “used stolen credit card numbers from around the world to buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of luxury goods, cosmetics, electronics and other merchandise at retail stores,” Mrozek said.
Once credit card information was obtained, “That stolen information was used to manufacture counterfeit credit cards that bore the names of ‘runners’ — co-conspirators who went to retail stores including Nordstrom, Macy’s, Apple and Abercrombie & Fitch — who used the fake cards to make fraudulent transactions,” according to Mrozek. “After the runners purchased items with the counterfeit credit cards, they either returned the goods for credit, or the goods were sold to other parties.”
Investigators looking into the fraudulent use of credit cards in the San Gabriel Valley first discovered Wu’s wide-reaching scheme, officials said. He had previously been investigated for similar allegations by Chinese authorities.
After searching Wu’s home and finding machinery used to make credit cards and computers containing credit card information, Secret Service agents arrested Wu in July of 2012 in Las Vegas, “where he had He had fled after the search of his residence and where he continued to engage in credit card fraud,” Mrozek said.
“Wu had been living in casino hotels for several weeks and at the time of his arrest, was in the process of sending a group of runners to Chicago to continue the scheme,” Mrozek added.
Wu was the second San Gabriel Valley man to be sentenced to prison this month for widespread credit card fraud.
Xiaoliang Chen, 27, of Monterey Park was sentenced Nov. 4 to more than four years in federal prison for a similar scam that netted nearly a half-million dollars, Mrozek said. Chen was arrested in August of 2012, also in Las Vegas.
MONTEREY PARK — Police jailed a 29-year-old man early Saturday after he fondled a woman and exposed himself to her inside a Garvey Avenue business, officials said.
Gilardo Carvente of Monterey Park was arrested on suspicion of sexual battery following the incident, which took place about 1 a.m. at a strip mall in the 200 block of South Garfield Avenue, according to Monterey Park police Lt. Eric Kim and Los Angeles County booking records.
Carvente is accused of appraching the woman from behind and grabbing her buttocks, the lieutenant said. “When the victim turned around, the suspect exposed his genitals.”
The woman called police, who quickly found Carvente in the area and arrested him, Kim said.
He was being held in lieu of $25,000 bail pending his scheduled arraignment Wednesday in Alhambra Superior Court.
Monterey Park police raided homes in Rosemead and Rancho Cucamonga early Thursday, recovering more than 155 pounds and arresting a Rosemead man on suspicion of cultivating the illicit crop, authorities said.
Detectives from the Monterey Park Police Department’s Crime Impact Team arrested Sunny Hoa, 52, at his home in on Ralph Street near Rosemead Boulevard in Rosemead, Lt. Frank Duke said. They also recovered about 35 pounds of processed pot at the residence.
Also Thursday morning, police went to another home associated with Hoa on Driftood Place near the 210 Freeway in Rancho Cucamonga, where they dismantled an indoor grow operation and seized 121 pounds of marijuana, Duke said.
Several hundred mature plants were seized in Rancho Cucamonga, along with the equipment used to grow the plants,” Monterey Park police officials said in a written statement.
A home in El Monte believed tied to Hoa was also searched, though no pot was found there, he added.
Others who were detained during the raids were ultimately released without charges, Duke said.
Monterey Park police have been watching Hoa for nearly a year, officials said, when they identified him as a suspect in an indoor marijuana grow found in Monterey Park on Thanksgiving Day last year.
In that case, an electrical fire at a condominium in the 500 block of North Chandler Avenue led officials to discover a marijuana growing operation, police said at the time.
Hoa was soon identified as a suspect, Duke said, but not arrested as police continued their investigation into him for nearly a year.
According to county booking records, Hoa was being held in lieu of $100,000 bail pending a scheduled arraignment Monday in Alhambra Superior Court.