Suspect wounded in Azusa officer-involved shooting


AZUSA >> Police shot and wounded a suspect late Wednesday in a residential Azusa neighborhood, officials said.
The shooting took place about 11:40 p.m. in the 5400 block of N. Conwell Avenue, Los Angeles County Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Kyle Sanford said. Paramedics took one patient to a hospital in unknown condition.
No officers were hurt, officials said.
Police deferred further inquiries the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, which is spearheading the investigation, as is common practice in officer-involved shooting in the county. No further details were released.
The shooting was the second this week involving Azusa police officers.
An officer fatally shot a 24-year-old burglary suspect Sunday during a confrontation in the 400 block of East Lee Drive, officials said.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man fatally wounded in Azusa officer-involved shooting

0622_NWS_SGT-L-AZSHOOT1

The 24-year-old man died at a hospital following the shooting, which took place just before 1 p.m. in the 400 block of E. Lee Drive, said Lt. Holly Francisco of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, which is leading the investigation. His name was not released.
“A family members called 9-1-1 stating one of their family members was acting insane and had injured himself,” Francisco said. “The call was updated that the suspect was breaking into a house nearby.”
“When officers got on scene, they found the suspect, who had broken into a house, and as they cleared the house, an officer-involved shooting did occur,’ Francisco said. No officers were hurt.
No gun was from the scene, Francisco said. Several items, such as tools, were found near the spot where the shooting occurred, but it was not clear whether they may have played a role in the incident.
0622_NWS_SGT-L-AZSHOOT2Further details regarding the shooting were not available Sunday, as investigators were yet to interview the involved officer, Francisco said.
Nearby resident Jesse Zarate, 76, said he saw a police officer shoot a bloody man who had broken into a neighbor’s home.
The officer confronted the man behind the home and ordered him to stop, Zarate said. The man responded “shoot me, shoot me” and continued running toward neighboring homes.
The officer fired three times, seemingly striking the man in the back, Zarate said. The man fell to the ground wounded.
“I don’t blame the police,” Zarate said. “What if he could have gotten out and hurt somebody else.”
0622_NWS_SGT-L-AZSHOOT3When police first encountered the suspect, “He was bloody. All the house was bloody,” Zarate said.
It was not clear if the blood was due to the injuries the suspect inflicted on himself at the outset of the incident, or due to the several windows in the home that had been smashed, Francisco said. The lieutenant declined to discuss exactly where on his body the suspect had been shot, but said he had not been shot in the back.
Distraught family members of the fatally wounded suspect gathered at the scene and consoled each other. They declined to comment.
The home that was broken into was empty at the time, officials and neighbors said. The residents returned to the neighborhood as the investigation continued. They also declined to comment.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

LAPD officers shoot armed domestic violence suspect in El Monte


EL MONTE >> Los Angeles police shot and critically wounded an armed domestic violence suspect in El Monte early Friday at the conclusion of a two-hour car chase that began in South Los Angeles, authorities said.
The wounded suspect was rushed into surgery and hospitalized in critical condition following the shooting, which took place about 5:30 a.m. at Valley Boulevard and Mountain View Road, Los Angeles police Lt. John Jenal said.
The incident began two hours earlier, when officers from the LAPD’s Southeast Division responded to a report of a domestic assault in the are of 96th Street and Firth Avenue, the lieutenant said. They encountered a victim with significant injuries, but the suspect had already left.
Officers spotted the suspect driving a white Toyota minivan nearby and began a pursuit when he failed to pull over, Jenal said.
The slow speed chase continued for about two hours, primarily on surface streets, Jenal said. “Officers saw him waving a weapon.”
Police used a spike strip to flatten the minivans wheels, but the suspect continued driving on the van’s rims.
He stopped the minivan and exited at Elliot Avenue and Cogswell Road, Jenal said. Police first shot at the man with a bean bag gun before opening fire with bullets, he said. The suspect, who was not struck by the gunfire, returned to the minivan and continued driving.
The minivan again came to a stop, apparently disabled, at Valley Boulevard and Mountain View Road.
“He put a blanket over him as he exited the van, to the point where you could not see his hands,” Jenal said. “Shortly thereafter, the blanket fell to the ground. In his hand, he brandished that same handgun, that’s when the officer-involved shooting occurred.”
Jenal said the suspect suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was in “very critical condition” at an intensive care unit. His identity was not available. He was initially described as about 30 years old.
Graphic video of the incident that emerged online showed the suspect brandishing a handgun in the moments before he was shot. The view of the suspect is obscured at the moment police open fire.
In the minutes leading up, police are seen on the video ordering the suspect to throw his gun out the window, stop his car and surrender.
At one point, the suspect tells police, “I don’t want to kill myself. I just want to drive.” He later tells an officer who orders him to stop his van, “I can’t. You don’t understand.”

CAUTION: GRAPHIC VIDEO

 

 

 

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Suspect shot by deputy following car chase in Azusa sentenced to prison

AZUSA >> A parolee shot and wounded by a deputy at the end of as short pursuit in Azusa last week has begun serving a four-year prison sentence after pleading “no contest” to charges connected to the incident Tuesday, officials said.
Paul Valenzuela, 30, suffered a gunshot wound to his shoulder in the June 4 deputy-involved shooting, Lt. Dave Coleman of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
Officials said at the time that he led deputies on a short chase before exiting his car brandishing a handgun.
At a Tuesday appearance in Pomona Superior Court, Valenzuela pleaded “no contest” to charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, ammunition possession by a convicted felon and evading police, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said.
Valenzuela was already on parole for robbery, Coleman said.
He was immediately sentenced to four years in state prison, she said.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Suspect wounded in Azusa deputy-involved shooting

0605_NWS_SGT-L-AZDIS

AZUSA >> Deputies shot and wounded an armed man at the conclusion of a short car chase Thursday afternoon, officials said.
The shooting took place shortly before 6 p.m. at Citrus and Alosta avenues, just outside of Azusa Pacific University.
The wounded suspect, whose name was not released late Thursday, was hospitalized in stable condition, Deputy Trina Schrader of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement. No deputies were hurt.
The incident began when deputies from the sheriff’s San Dimas Station saw the suspect brandish a handgun while driving a white Chevrolet Malibu, Schrader said.
20150604_185513“Deputies went in a short vehicle pursuit, northbound Citrus Avenue approaching Alosta Avenue, when the suspect stopped his vehicle and exited through the passenger door brandishing a handgun at the deputies,” the deputy said.
“A deputy involved shooting occurred. The suspect was struck once by gunfire in the upper torso, however, he fled the location on foot. The deputies went in a short foot pursuit and took the suspect into custody a short distance later.”
Deputies recovered the suspect’s gun at the scene, Schrader added.
Paramedics rushed the wounded suspect to a local hospital by ambulance, then took him to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center by helicopter for further treatment, said Art Marrujo, a Los Angeles County Fire Department dispatch supervisor.
Officials declined to discuss initial reports from the scene that a woman with a child also fled from the suspect’s car into a nearby shopping center.
The intersection of Citrus and Alosta avenues remained closed into Thursday night, as the investigation continued.
Traffic in the area was already congested due to graduation ceremonies at nearby Citrus College and the west campus of Azusa Pacific University.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Suspect wounded in Baldwin Park police shooting identified

BALDWIN PARK >> Authorities Thursday released the identity of a Baldwin Park man shot by police after allegedly pulling a gun on an officer who was chasing him through an alley.
James Anthony Teter, 23, was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer following his shooting and arrest just before noon Wednesday in an alley between Stewart Cutler and Stewart avenues, just south of Los Angeles Street, according to Los Angeles County booking records and Lt. Holly Francisco of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau.
The shooting occurred as he was fleeing from a Baldwin Park police officer who recognized him as an AB 109 probationer wanted for violating the terms of his release, Francisco said. Teter allegedly pulled a handgun on the pursing officer, and the officer opened fire, striking Teter once in the arm.
Francisco said Teter initially continued running, but quickly surrendered to the officer after being wounded. No officers were hurt.
Booking records show Teter had already been treated for his injuries and booked into jail Thursday.
He was released from jail under AB 109 post-release community supervision April 8 after serving a little more than three months of a 225-day sentence following convictions for resisting or obstructing police and violating his probation earlier this year, records show.
According to Los Angeles Superior Court records, Teter’s previous convictions date back to 2010 and include domestic battery, drug possession, refusing a lawful police order, being a convicted felon in possession of a gun and auto theft.
Teter was being held in lieu of $30,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, scheduled Friday in West Covina Superior Court.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Suspect wounded in Baldwin Park officer-involved shooting


BALDWIN PARK >> A police officer shot and wounded a man who officials say pulled a gun on the officer in a while fleeing through a Baldwin Park alley Wednesday.
The wounded suspect, described as a 23-year-old Baldwin Park man, suffered gunshot wound that was not considered to life-threatening, said Lt. Holly Francisco of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, which is spearheading the investigation.
The shooting took place just before noon in an alley between Stewart and Cutler avenues, just south of Los Angeles Street, Francisco said.
The lieutenant said two gang officers spotted the man at Stewart Avenue, just north of Palm Avenue, and recognized him as a suspect wanted for violating the terms of his probation under AB 109 guidelines.
The man ran, and one of the two officers chased him as he ran down an alley toward Cutler Avenue, she said.
“During that foot pursuit, the suspect produced a firearm and an officer-involved shooting happened,” Francisco said.
The wounded suspect was struck once in the arm and continued running west a short distance before surrendering to the officer, officials said.
She said the suspect’s handgun was recovered at the scene. No officers were injured.
The suspect was believed to a gang affiliate, Francisco said.
Police and sheriff’s officials cordoned off the area as they conducted an investigation Wednesday afternoon.

 

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Deputy shoots at suspect in South El Monte

SOUTH EL MONTE >> A deputy shot at, but did not strike, an auto theft suspect who officials said rammed a patrol car with a pickup truck Thursday afternoon.
Allan Sanchez, 22, of South El Monte was ultimately captured during a neighborhood, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Loy McBride said. He was expected to be booked on suspicion of auto theft and assault on a peace officer. Additional charges were possible as well.
The incident began about 4:10 p.m. at Garvey and Seaman avenues, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Ed Mackenzie said.
Deputies spotted a pickup truck parked along the roadside that had been reported stolen, the sergeant said.
Deputies approached the truck, with a driver later identified as Sanchez at the wheel, McBride said.
Sanchez accelerated, ramming a patrol car and at least one additional car, the lieutenant said. A deputy shot at Sanchez, striking the pickup truck but not the suspect.
McBride said the pickup truck sped away, leading officers on a very brief chase before crashing into a wall. He then exited the truck and ran.
The wanted man surrendered once deputies had him cornered. Mackenzie said.
He was taken to a hospital for examination before being booked into jail, McBride added.
The deputy in the patrol car allegedly rammed by the pickup truck suffered an apparently minor injury, he said. No other injuries were reported.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Off-duty Whittier police officer shoots at intruder in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES >> An off-duty Whittier police officer fired a shotgun at an intruder at his Los Angeles home late Thursday, though it was unclear if the suspect, who fled, was struck, authorities said.
The officer-involved shooting took place in the 3200 block of Military Avenue about 10 p.m. Thursday, said Sgt. John Marquez of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Pacific Station.
“The officer was in his home, sitting in the living room when he saw a male black about 20 years old wearing dark clothing standing in his kitchen,” Marquez said.
The officer ran to another room and armed himself with a shotgun, LAPD Sgt. Barry Montgomery said.
“Once he was armed, he exited the side door of his residence,” the sergeant said.
The officer encountered the intruder behind the house, near the back door, he said.
“It was at that point that am officer-involved shooting occurred,” Montgomery said. It was unclear exactly what promted the officer to open fire.
The suspect ran off, officials said.
Police searched the area but were unable to find the suspect, Montgomery said.
It was unclear if the suspect was struck by the gunfire.
“No one has turned up at a hospital or medical facility with a gunshot wound as far we know,” Marquez said. “So we have no idea where the suspect is at this point.”
Immediately following the shooting, the officer checked to make sure his two roommates were okay, then dialed 9-1-1, Montgomery said.
Whittier police officials deferred comment to the LAPD.

– Staff and wire report

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Deputy shoots at suspect near Azusa


AZUSA >> A deputy shot at a suspect at Lario San Gabriel River Trail Park in Azusa Thursday, though it was unknown if the suspect was struck by the gunfire, authorities said.
The incident unfolded about 2:10 p.m. at the park, 15701 Foothill Blvd., just east of Azusa, Deputy Tina Schrader of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement.
Sheriff’s Park Bureau Mounted Patrol deputies approached a man regarding county code violations in the park when he became “combative,” she said.
“The suspect injured one of the deputies with his vehicle in an attempt to flee the scene,” Schrader said. “Fearing for his partner’s life, another deputy shot one round from his weapon at the suspect in an attempt to stop the assault.
“It is unknown if the suspect was struck by gunfire,” the deputy said. “The suspect’s vehicle was struck on the passenger side mirror and possibly the passenger side window.”
Officials said the suspect was last seen driving east on Foothill Boulevard.
The injured deputy was taken to a hospital for treatment of “non-life-threatening” injuries, Schrader said. Further details regarding the nature of the injuries were not available.
The suspect fled the scene going eastbound on Foothill Boulevard and out of view.
Deputies described the suspect as a white or Latino man, between 25 and 30 years old, about 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, with a muscular build. He wore a gray shirt. His car was a white, mid-2000s, two-door Acura with tinted windows.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Parks Bureau Detectives at 661-294-3544. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email