Four wounded in shooting at Pomona restaurant drive-through

POMONA >> Four men were hospitalized in stable condition after gunfire erupted in the drive-through of a Mexican restaurant Saturday, police said.
The shooting took place just after 6:40 p.m. at Alberto’s Mexican Food, 1925 West Holt Ave., east of Fairplex Drive, Pomona police Sgt. Steve Congalton said in a written statement.
The victims were inside a car that was in the drive-through of the restaurant just before the shooting
“An altercation took place between the occupants of the vehicle and suspect that were on foot,” Congalton said. “Moments later, shots were fired and four individuals were hit.”
A motive in the shooting remained under investigation, though detectives suspected it was gang-related, Congalton said.
All four wounded men were flown by helicopter to area hospitals, where they were listed in stable condition, police said. Their ages or cities of residence were not released.
No description of the suspects was available.
Police were investigating the shooting as attempted murder.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Pomona Police Department detectives at 909-620-2085. Tips may also be submitted anonymously via L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Man critically wounded in Pomona shooting

POMONA >> A man was critically wounded in a shooting at his Pomona home Friday afternoon, officials said.
The shooting took place about 4:45 p.m. in the 200 block of West Willow Street, just east of Garey Avenue, Los Angeles County Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Art Marrujo said.
Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center for treatment, Marrujo said
The victim, who had been shot several times, immediately underwent surgery, Pomona police officials said. The man, who was described as being in his 30s, remained hospitalized in critical condition Saturday.
“The motive for the shooting is unknown at this time, but it appears that the victim was possibly specifically targeted and at this point detectives do not believe that it was a random act,” Pomona police Sgt. Lena Becker said in a written statement.
No suspect description was available.
The shooting was not believed to be gang-related, Lt. Chuck Becker said. It was unclear if anything had been stolen from the victim or his home.
Police released no further details.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Pomona Police Department Detective Bureau at 909-620-2085. Tips may also be submitted anonymously by contact L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Pedestrian struck, killed by vehicle in Pomona

POMONA — A pedestrian died after being struck by a car along Holt Avenue in Pomona late Friday, officials said.
Firefighters first responded about 7:40 p.m. to a report of a vehicle striking a pedestrian at Holt Avenue, west of White Avenue, Los Angeles County Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Kyle Sanford said.
Paramedics took a victim to Pomona Valley Medical Center, where the patient was pronounced dead, according to fire and Pomona Police Department officials.
Pomona police shut down both directions of Holt Avenue between Hamilton Boulevard and Filmore Place as officers investigated the scene.
No further details were available.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Firefighters douse smoking train brakes in Pomona

POMONA >> Firefighter doused smoking and overheating brakes on a freight train Thursday after it came to a stop in Pomona, authorities said.
The incident, initially reported about 1:05 p.m. as a fire in the locomotive of the train at the 71 Freeway and Pomona Boulevard, was ultimately determined not to be an active fire, Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Larry Jordan said.
Firefighters found smoke rising from the superheated brakes and axle of the BNSF locomotive, which was hauling a full load of cargo containers, the captain said.
Officials used water to carefully cool the overheated components, he said.
Firefighters declared the incident under control at 1:40 p.m., officials said. No injuries were reported.
The operators of the train had stopped after a warning light on board the train indicated something was wrong with an axle, Jordan said. “Something malfunctioned,” he added.
Upon stopping the train, they found a great deal of smoke emanating from the axle and called for help.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

57 Freeway briefly shut down in Pomona by man threatening to jump from transition road

POMONA >> A man threatening to jump from a freeway transition road prompted officials to shut down the 57 Freeway for about half an hour late Thursday, officials said.
Witnesses reported seeing the man on the elevated transition road connecting the northbound 57 Freeway to the westbound 10 Freeway at 6:58 p.m., California Highway Patrol Officer Patrick Kimball said.
Officials shut down the 57 Freeway as they worked to persuaded the man to come down from the transition road, which he did at 7:34 p.m., Kimball said. The freeway reopened minutes later.
The man was expected to be taken for psychiatric evaluation, officials said.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Pomona man accused of abandoning 6-year-old boy at Whittier Narrows Recreation Area

SOUTH EL MONTE >> Investigators arrested a Pomona man early Thursday for allegedly abandoning his prospective adopted 6-year-old son at the Whittier Narrow Recreation Area in South El Monte earlier this week.
Deputies arrested Juan Manuel Garcia-Tellez, 31, about 9 a.m. Thursday after spotting him at his Pomona home, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials and booking records. He is in a relationship with the boy’s mother and was apparently in the process of trying to adopt the boy.
The investigation began about 9:40 p.m. Monday when a good Samaritan called authorities to report finding a 6-year-old boy wandering alone in the park near Legg Lake, Deputy Johnny Jones of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Parks Bureau said.
“He was just throwing rocks into he water. He was crying because he was looking for his dad.”
A car, later determined to be Garcia-Tellez’s, was found several miles away, however there were no signs of the man, officials said.
“The child, who was cold and hungry, was placed in the deputy’s patrol car and fed while parks bureau personnel continued to search,” Jones said.
After more than three hours of searching with no success, deputies turned the boy over to the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services about 1 a.m., Jones said.
Officials ultimately contacted the boy’s mother and returned her child to her.
Garcia-Tellez’s motive was not clear, Jones said. The suspect said he left the boy at the park while running errand.
But investigators learned that he had been involved in an argument with the boy’s mother hours before leaving the boy alone at the park.
Deputies stopped by Garcia-Tellez home several times this week, but did not find him, Jones said. But they found him there Thursday morning and took him into custody without a struggle.
Garcia-Tellez was booked on suspicion of child endangerment, Jones said.
He was being held in lieu of $100,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, scheduled Monday in El Monte Superior Court, records show.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED — Officials: Girls abducted by father at gunpoint in Pomona, found safe in Riverside County

ADAME_PETE
***UPDATE: California Highway Patrol officials deactivated the Amber Alert early Saturday morning after both children were found safe in Riverside County. Further details of the exactly where and how the girls were found were not immediately available. Los Angeles County booking records indicated Adame was arrested at 1:38 a.m. He was being held in lieu of $100,000 bail at the Pomona Police Department’s jail and was scheduled to appear for an arraignment Wednesday in Pomona Superior Court.
POMONA — Officials issued an Amber Alert late Friday after a man abducted his two young daughters at gunpoint, officials said.
Pete Valencia Adame, 43, kidnapped his ex-girlfriend along with their two daughters, ages 2 and 4, about 7 p.m. in Pomona, California Highway Patrol officials said in a written statement.
“Adame assaulted the former girlfriend before releasing her at an unknown location,” according to the statement. “Adame then fled with the two daughters.”
The potentially armed and dangerous suspect was believed to be driving a gray 2014 Jeep Patriot with California license plate No. 7CJF267, officials said. He was described as Latino, 5 feet 11 inches tall, 180 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a white undershirt and light blue pants with a stripe.
2014 Jeep PatriotThe missing 2-year-old, Valarie Persaea Adame, was described as Latina about 2 feet tall, 30 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a white shirt with flowers on the shoulders and black pants.
The abducted 4-year-old, Aurora Akira Adame, was described as Latina, about 2 feet 6 inches tall and 35 pounds. She was last seen wearing a pink shirt with a heart design and cheetah print spandex pants.
Anyone with information was urged to contact the Pomona Police Department, or call 9-1-1.
PHOTO of kidnapping suspect Pete Adame courtesy of the Pomona Police Department.
Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Woman sentenced for fatal stabbing of boyfriend in Pomona

POMONA >> A woman received a sentence of 15 years to life in prison Wednesday for the fatal stabbing of her boyfriend in a Pomona apartment just over two years ago, officials said.
Erica Artavia Campbell, 27, of Pomona received her sentenced from West Covina Superior Court Judge Peter A. Hernandez, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
A jury convicted her Feb. 11 of second-degree murder for the death 24-year-old Markeon Taylor.
Taylor lived in Tennessee, but was staying in Southern California to attend a murder trial for a group of men charged in the April 17, 2009, slaying of his brother, 18-year-old Marquis LeBlanc of Diamond Bar, during a Pomona house party.
Campbell and Taylor became involved in a fight April 2, 2012, while at the apartment of Campbell’s brother, officials said.
“Her brother tried to diffuse the situation, however Campbell charged at Taylor and stabbed him in the chest with a knife,” according to the district attorney’s office statement.
“The prosecutor said Campbell stabbed Taylor with such force that the knife pierced his heart, causing him to bleed out,” the statement said. He succumbed to his injuries a short time later at a hospital.
Prosecutors charged Campbell with the killing April 5, 2012.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Five hurt, teen accused of DUI following 60 Freeway offramp crash in Pomona

POMONA — Five people were injured — three of them critically — and an Ontario teen is accused of drunken driving following a solo-vehicle crash on a freeway offramp in Pomona late Friday, less than a mile from another suspected DUI crash last weekend in which six people lost their lives, authorities said.
The crash took place at the end of the Phillips Ranch Road offramp of the westbound 60 Freeway, Los Angles County Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Cheryl Sims said.
“A call came in about 11 o’clock (Friday) night of a black pickup truck on the side of the offramp,” California Highway Patrol Officer Jennifer Cassidy said.
The 2005 Dodge Ram had rolled over, ultimately coming to a rest back on its wheels, she said.
Witnesses reported two occupants were walking outside of the truck and bleeding, according to CHP logs.
Rescuers landed a helicopter at nearby Diamond Ranch High School to fly two of the critically injured patients to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according to fire and CHP officials. The third badly injured person was taken to the trauma center by ambulance.
Two other patients suffered minor injuries in the crash, Sims said.
It was not initially clear if the driver, a 17-year-old Ontario boy accused of driving under the influence at the time of the crash, was among the seriously injured.
His four passengers included two 19-year-old men from Ontario, an 18-year-old Ontario man and another 17-year-old boy whose city of residence was not available, CHP Sgt. Carlo Fusco said.
Exactly how the crash occurred remained under investigation, he added.
The crash occurred just east of the spot where six people died early Sunday morning in a wrong-way, head-on collision blamed on a suspected DUI driver, who was the sole survivor of the crash.
Killed were four family members riding in a Ford Explorer, as well as two passenger in the 21-year-old suspect’s Chevrolet Camaro. One of them was the suspect’s older sister.
Prosecutors have since charged Olivia Culbreath of Fontana, who has a previous drunken driving conviction, with six counts of murder in connection with Sunday’s crash.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Pomona woman badly injured in San Dimas crash

SAN DIMAS — A Pomona woman suffered major injuries Thursday in a solo-car crash along the 10 Freeway in an unincorporated county area just south of San Dimas, authorities said.
The woman, 42, was rushed to a trauma center by helicopter following the 2:55 p.m. crash on the eastbound 10 Freeway, just east of Via Verde Street, California Highway Patrol Officer Rodrigo Jimenez said in a written statement.
She was eastbound on the 10 Freeway in a 2000 Nissan Maxima when she exited at Via Verde Street, went through an intersection at the base of the offramp, then got onto the onramp back onto the eastbound 10 Freeway, Jimenez said.
For reasons that remained under investigation, the Nissan veered toward the left until it went off the side of the onramp, the officer said.
“The Nissan travelled out of control through the uphill embankment, became airborne and landed within the eastbound (10 Freeway) lanes,” Jimenez said.
The car overturned and skidded across traffic lanes, striking the concrete center divider wall coming to a rest on it’s wheels, blocking the two right-hand lanes of the eastbound 10 Freeway, according to Jimenez.
The woman at the wheel of the Maxima suffered major injuries to her head and face, officials said. Officials briefly shut down both directions of the 10 Freeway to allow a rescue helicopter to land.
The two right lanes of the eastbound freeway remained closed for about an hour after the crash.
Officers from the Baldwin Park office of the CHP are handling the investigation.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email