UPDATED: Man shot to death in South El Monte


SOUTH EL MONTE >> Homicide detectives are seeking the killer or killers of a man found shot to death inside an SUV in a South El Monte parking lot Saturday night.
Deputies first received a report of a gunshot victim about 9:10 p.m. in a parking lot shared by several businesses in the 2000 block of Durfee Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
“When they arrived, the deputies located the victim seated in the driver’s seat of an SUV in the parking lot,” according to Deputy Crystal Hernandez of the sheriff’s Information Bureau. “The victim had an undetermined number of gunshot wounds to his upper torso.”
Paramedics pronounced the victim, described only as a man, dead at the scene.
“Detectives are continuing to speak with possible witnesses, however there is no suspect description at this time. The investigation is still active and ongoing,” Hernandez said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: 15-year-old boy wounded in Pomona drive-by shooting


POMONA >> For the second night in a row, a drive-by shooting in a residential neighborhood left a teenage Pomona boy wounded late Wednesday, authorities said.
The shooting took place about 9:30 p.m. in the 2900 block of Hollander Street, near Harrison Avenue, Pomona police Sgt. Jaime Gutierrez said.
Shots were fired from a passing dark-colored four-door sedan, Sgt. Vincent Terrell said in a written statement.
“Based on preliminary information gathered from witnesses and the victim, the victim was outside of a residence when the suspect vehicle drove by and a suspect inside the vehicle fired several shots striking the victim,” Terrell said.
The wounded teen, 15, was hospitalized in stable condition, officials said. No further details were available.
A similar episode unfolded just under 24 hours earlier across town at Valley Boulevard and Dupont Street, police said.
A teenage boy showed up at a local hospital with gunshot wounds shortly before 10 p.m. Tuesday, Sgt. Robert DeVee said in a written statement.
“Officers arrived and spoke to the victim who stated he was walking in the area of Valley and Dupont when the suspect vehicle drove by and fired several shots,” he said. “The victim was hit in the upper torso.”
The young victim was later transported to a trauma center for continued treatment.
Police described the car in which the attacker or attackers rode as a older-model, dark-colored sedan.
Anyone with information can reach Pomona police detectives at 909-620-2095. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

El Monte man already serving life for one Baldwin Park shooting sentenced for another

ar-140509579

BALDWIN PARK >> An El Monte man already condemned to spend life behind bars received a new sentence of 86 years to life in state prison on Tuesday for the fatal shooting of a rival gang member on Christmas Eve in 2010, prosecutors said.
Johnny Mata, 35, who has also been convicted of a second, non-fatal gang shooting in Baldwin Park in 2012, spent more than a year as a fugitive after he was accidentally released from jail in 2013 while awaiting trial, then recaptured in Mexico in Mexico.
A jury Convicted Johnny Mata, 35, guilty last month of two felony counts of first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a felon in the fatal shooting of 31-year-old David Deanda Jr., Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said. Jurors also found true the special, sentence-enhancing allegation that the killing was gang-related.
Co-defendant Jesus Arroyo Lule, 35, pleaded “no contest” in 2014 to a felony count of voluntary manslaughter for Deanda’s slaying and is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 17 in the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s Pomona Branch.
Lule drove Mata to rival gang territory in the 13200 block of Francisquito Avenue in Baldwin Park. Baldwin Park in the predawn hours of Dec. 24, district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
“Once there, Mata exited the car and walked up to a house where David Deanda Jr., 31 was standing in the driveway,” according to the statement. “Mata then fatally shot Deanda in the torso before fleeing the scene, the prosecutor added.
Mata exited the car and walked up to Deanda Jr. who was standing in the driveway of a residence, Barkhurst said. Mata then fatally shot Deanda in the torso before fleeing the scene.
A third defendant, then-27-year-old Christina Montenegro, was initially charged in connection with the 2012 shooting, but the charges were ultimately dropped.
Deanda, who worked as a welder, was survived by his wife, a son, a daughter and a stepdaughter, according to family.
Prior to being arrested
In April 2012, Mata shot at the home of another rival gang member in Baldwin Park, and was found guilty of attempted murder and possession of a firearm by a felon in a 2015 trial. He was sentenced to life, plus 25 years, in state prison for those crimes. But the jury deadlocked on the murder charge stemming from Deanda’s fatal shooting, leading to a second trial.
Following his initial arrest in May of 2012 in connection with the Baldwin Park slaying, Mata spent more than a year on the lam after he as accidentally released due to a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department clerical error.
He was re-captured in April of 2014 in Mexico and returned to the U.S. to face justice.
Following Tuesday’s sentencing hearing, Mata is now serving a total sentence of life in prison, plus 111 years to life in prison.

PHOTO: Johnny Mata of El Monte, (Courtesy)

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man shot while on his way to work in Norwalk


NORWALK >> A man driving to work with a coworker early Friday was wounded in a shooting carried out by apparent gang members, officials said.
The car-to-car shooting took place about 6:45 a.m. in the 12800 block of Rosecrans Avenue, just east of the 5 Freeway, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. George Suarez said.
The two victims, both men in the late-20s, stopped at an ARCO gas station on Rosecrans Avenue just west of the 5 Freeway, on their way to work, the sergeant said.
Two or three men confronted the victims at the gas station and asked where they were from, a common gang challenge.
The two victims, who are not believed to have gang ties, went about their business and drove away from the gas station, Suarez said.
The attackers got into a car of their own and followed the victims before opening fire, Suarez said. The passenger was struck in the shooting. He was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Detailed descriptions of the attackers and their car were not available Friday afternoon.
Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Norwalk Station at 562-863-8711. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man crashes car after being shot at near Monrovia


MONROVIA >> A man crashed his car after another driver opened fire on him in an unincorporated county area near Monrovia on Monday afternoon, but was not struck by the gunfire, authorities said.
The incident unfolded shortly after 5 p.m., Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Frank Ruiz said.
After being fired upon by another motorist, the driver crashed into another car at Schrode and California avenues, the lieutenant said.
The intended target of the shooting suffered no significant injuries, he said. The occupant of the other car involved in the crash was treated for apparently minor injuries.
The shooting was believed to have occurred near the scene of the crash, but the exact location of the gunfire was yet to be determined, Ruiz said.
Deputies were still sorting out conflicting suspect descriptions Monday evening.
Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Temple Station at 626-285-7171. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Woman shot in the face in drive-by attack near Covina


COVINA >> A woman narrowly escaped with her life after a bullet grazed her face in a drive-by shooting in an unincorporated county area near Covina late Sunday, police said.
The woman, estimated to be in her 40s, was standing in front of a home in the 5000 block of North Clydebank Avenue when two attackers approached in a gray, older-model car, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Terrence Smith said.
Two attackers drove up, yelled some type of possibly gang-related slogan and began shooting, the sergeant said.
“A gunshot grazed the victim in the face, below the eye,” he said.
Paramedics took the woman to a hospital, where she was listed in stable condition.
It was not clear if the was the intended target of the shooting, or merely a bystander struck by a stray bullet.
Further details, including a detailed suspect description, were not available Monday.
Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s San Dimas Station at 909-450-2709. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Altadena residents hold peace walk in response to recent violence

PEACEWALK1

ALTADENA >> Fed up with a spate of shootings that has left at least four people wounded and a 4-year-old boy dead in recent weeks, members of the Altadena community held a silent walk for peace in an effort to take back their streets from violence.
Marchers of all ages gathered at Lincoln Avenue and Woodbury Road, before making their way to Lincoln Avenue and Figueroa Drive in a “Mile of Men” march held in conjunction with Hillside Tabernacle Church.
“We’re trying to control our neighborhood and take back our community back,” said. Helen Liddell, whose 25-year-old grandson was wounded in a July 30 shooting near the end of the march route at Lincoln Avenue and Figueroa Drive. “These things need to be known. We need to stop and correct this.”
PEACEWALK2He was walking home from a friend’s house when he heard someone following behind him, the grandmother said. He turned around just in time to see someone in a white T-shirt opening fire with a handgun. The victim fled his attacker, but was wounded in his legs.
“Wrong place, wrong day,” Liddell said. The shooting remains unsolved.
Liddell’s grandson, who she said has no gang-involvement, is recovering well from the shooting and took part in the march. Despite his physical progress in his recuperation, he is continuing to deal with psychological issues from the attack, Liddell said. He becomes alarmed when he hears loud noises, such as balloons popping.
Displaying signs with messages such as, “Stop the violence,” “God, Family, Community,” and “Unity in the Community,” dozens of demonstrators decried the senseless bloodshed the community has recently witnessed…

…FULL STORY

PHOTOS via James Carbone

 

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Car-to-car shootout reported in Bassett


BASSETT >> Deputies found no suspects or victims after the occupants of two vehicle engaged in a rolling gun battle in Bassett Saturday afternoon.
The shoot-out was reported just after 1:20 p.m. at 3rd and Proctor avenues in the unincorporated county area, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Rico Sandoval said.
Witnesses reported seeing a light-colored sedan and a dark-colored SUV trading gunfire, he said.
No one was found wounded at the scene and no gunshot victims connected to the shooting had turned up at any local hospitals Saturday afternoon, the sergeant said.
Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Industry Station at 626-330-3322. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

March to mark 5th anniversary of fatal shootings of sheriff’s Explorer Scout, friend in South Whittier

0826_NWS_WDN-L-MARCH

SOUTH WHITTIER >> Hundreds of loved ones, family members and fellow Los Angeles County sheriff’s Explorer scouts on Sunday will mark the 5th anniversary of the slaying of an Explorer and another man with a march and candlelight vigil to honor the victims’ lives and renew their call for justice in the unsolved double-homicide.
The march has been held, and grown, each year since Aug. 28, 2011, when 19-year-old Norwalk sheriff’s Explorer Cesar Rodriguez and friend Larry Villegas, 24, both of Whittier, in the 11800 block of Painter Avenue in the unincorporated county area of South Whittier.
0826_NWS_WDN-L-MARCHmugThe group will gather at 7 p.m. at the corner of Laurel and Beaty avenues, organizers said.
During the annual marches, which passes by the scene of the shooting, marchers hand out fliers seeking information on the killings.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Shots fired outside Pasadena apartment complex


PASADENA >> Shots were fired outside a Pasadena apartment building Friday afternoon, but no victims were found, police said.
The shooting took place about 6 p.m. in the 100 block of East Painter Street, Pasadena police Lt. Jason Clawson said.
A black Hyundai sedan drove into the parking lot of an apartment complex, he said. Someone inside opened fire on a group of people who were on foot.
The apparent targets of the attack scattered and were not found, Clawson said. No gunshot wound victims believed linked to the shooting turned up at local hospitals.
Clawson said the Hyundai was last seen heading north from the area. No further description was available.
Anyone with information can reach Pasadena police at 626-744-4241. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email