Car struck by bullets while sitting at red light in Temple City; driver unhurt

TEMPLE CITY >> A gunman shot up a man’s car as he was stopped at a red light along Baldwin Avenue in Temple City early Thursday, officials said.
The shooting took place about midnight along Baldwin Avenue as the victim was heading north, approaching Bogue Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Abi Ben-Sahile said. But the crime was not reported until six or seven hours later.
Ben-Sahile said the victim, a man in his early-20s, told deputies he did not see the shooter, and initially thought someone was throwing rocks at his car.
But the man later realized bullets had struck both the front and rear of his car, the sergeant said.
The motive in the shooting was unclear.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Home struck by gunfire in Hacienda Heights; no injuries reported

HACIENDA HEIGHTS >> Bullets tore through a Hacienda Heights family’s home early Wednesday, though no injuries were reported in the shooting, authorities said.
Deputies received a report of gunshots about 12:40 a.m. in the 1700 block of Charlemont Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Robert Boese said.
They found that a nearby home had been struck by gunfire, and several spend bullet casings were collected from the ground, the sergeant said.
A family, including children, was inside the home, however no one was struck by the gunfire, he said.
No suspect description was known, and no further details were available.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man charged with murder in connection with slaying of Baldwin Park woman

BALDWIN PARK >> Prosecutors Thursday charged a Baldwin Park man Thursday with murder in connection with the death of a woman at her Baldwin Park home last month, officials said Thursday.
Juan Carlos Santana, 42, was arrested on suspicion of burglary and receiving stolen property the day after Patricia Sigala Salva was found dead Oct. 18 inside her home in the 3700 block of Idaho Street in Baldwin Park, according to Los Angeles County booking records and Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials.
Prosecutors charged Santana Thursday with the murder of Patricia Sigala Salva, according to a felony complaint filed in Pomona Superior Court. Sheriff’s and coroner’s officials have declined to release any information regarding the woman’s identity, however public records indicate she was in her early-60s and had lived at the Baldwin Park home for at least 20 years.
Salva had been shot, according to court documents. She died sometime between Oct. 16 and Oct. 18, when her body was discovered.
He was initially charged with burglary and receiving stolen property, however prosecutors have since added the charge of murder, district attorney’s office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. He was scheduled to be arraigned on the murder charge Jan. 8 in Pomona Superior Court.
Prosecutors also accused Juan Santana of the special allegations that he personally used a handgun in the crime, and that he committed the murder during the coarse of a burglary, according to a felony complaint filed in
Arrested and charged in the same case as Juan Santana was 19-year-old Andres Javier Santana and 44-year-old Deborah Jean Curiel, according to officials and booking records. Both were jailed Oct. 19 on suspicion of receiving stolen property.
The elder Santana was being held without bail, records show, while Andres Santana has been released on bail pending legal proceeding, and Curiel was being held in lieu of $20,000 bail.
The relationships among the suspects were not clear, nor was their relationship with Salva. The suspects’ cities of residence were also not available.
Numerous calls in recent weeks to handling detectives at the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide have not been returned. And sheriff’s investigators ordered a “security hold” on the case at the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner, preventing the release of any information, coroner’s officials said. The security hold remained in effect Thursday.
Police said the woman’s body was discovered after residents reported suspicious circumstances at her home.
Someone called Baldwin Park police to report seeing a person running out of the garage of the home with an item believed to be beer, police said. Neighbors also told police they had not seen the woman who lives at the home in several says.
Lt. Ed Hernandez of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said the woman had rented space in the house to roommates in the past, but was living alone at the time of her death.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man fatally shot at Norwalk park

NORWALK >> Gunfire at a Norwalk park left one man dead early Saturday, authorities said.
The fatal shooting took place about 6:20 a.m. at Arthur Gerdes Park, 14700 Gridley Road, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Jose Navares said.
Deputies responded to several calls reporting gunshots and a “victim down” when they encountered a man in his 20s who had been shot, the sergeant said.
Paramedics rushed the wounded man to a hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries, Navares said.
No suspects were in custody, and no suspect description was immediately available.
Detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau are handling the investigation. Anyone with information can reacht he bureau at 323-890-5500.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Three jailed in connection with Rosemead shooting

ROSEMEAD >> Three men were behind bars Sunday in connection with a weekend shooting in Rosemead, authorities said.
Oscar Recinos, 24, of Rosemead, Lance Spiteri, 25, of Diamond Bar and Edward Ascencio, 34, of Fontana, were ultimately jailed on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Martinez said.
They’re accused of shooting at passing car driven by a 32-year-old Rosemead man about 2:40 p.m. Saturday at Graves and Eckhart avenues, Sgt. Julie Geary said. Bullets struck the car, however the driver was not injured.
Deputies searched the neighborhood following the gunfire, ultimately finding and arresting Recinos, Spiteri and Ascencio in connection with the shooting, officials said.
Sheriff’s gang detectives were handling the investigation, Martinez said.
The shooting was the second report of gun violence in Rosemead in less than a day.
Eighteen-year-old Jesse Garcia of Rosemead died early Saturday after he was shot at a Halloween party in the 7900 block of Virginia Street, sheriff’s officials said.
Garcia, who posted on social media that he would be working “security” at the party, asked two young men to leave just prior to the shooting, investigators said.
The two men returned with a gun and fatally shot Garcia, authorities said. The killers remained at-large Sunday.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Car struck by gunfire in Rosemead, driver unhurt

ROSEMEAD >> Bullets pierced a car as it traveled down a Rosemead street Saturday afternoon, however the driver escaped injury, officials said.
The shooting took place about 2:40 p.m. on Graves Avenue at Eckhart Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Julie Geary said.
Several bullets struck the car, but not the man driving it, she said.
Deputies searched the area and ultimately arrested three suspects in connection with the shooting, Lt. Loy McBride said.
Further details were not available early Sunday.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Young man fatally shot at Rosemead Halloween party

ROSEMEAD >> An 18-year-old Rosemead man died early Saturday after two men he asked to leave a Halloween party returned with a gun and shot him, authorities said.
Jesse Garcia died at a hospital following the 1 a.m. shooting at a party held in a small residential cul-de-sac in the 7900 block of Virginia Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s and coroner’s officials said.
Both Garcia and the two suspects were at the party prior to the shooting, sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
“The victim asked the suspects to leave the party. A short time later, the suspects returned to the party with a firearm and shot at the victim, striking him in the torso,” Sgt. Carmen Arballo of the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau said.
Garcia was rushed to a hospital where he died from his injuries.
Although he was a Rosemead resident, the victim did not live at the home where the Halloween party was hosted, sheriff’s officials said.
No getaway car was seen.
“The suspects fled the location on foot in an unknown direction and out of view,” Arballo said.
Detectives initially described the killers as two young men between 17 and 21 years old. Detailed descriptions were not available.
By Saturday afternoon, only a small piece of yellow crime scene tape in the street was the only sign of the fatal shooting. Several neighborhood residents said they did not know what took place early Saturday morning.
Officials asked anyone with information to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stopper at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

La Habra gang member sentenced for 2006 slaying outside Halloween party

SANTA ANA >> A La Habra gang member received a sentence of 50 years to life in state prison Friday for fatally shooting a Westminster man outside a La Habra Halloween party eight years ago, authorities said.
A Santa Ana Superior Court jury convicted David Anthony Parga, a 28-year-old member of the West Side La Habra street gang, late last year of second-degree murder for the Oct. 29, 2006, slaying of 27-year-old Leland Washington, according to Orange County District Attorney’s officials.
In addition to finding Parga guilty of murder, the jury also found true special allegations that the crime was gang-related, and that Parga personally used a firearm in the killing, district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
Washington, a senior at California State University, Long Beach, attended a Halloween party in the 400 block of West First Street when he was shot to death shortly after 1:30 a.m., officials said.
Though the party was attended by many gang members, Washington had no gang ties, district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
Washington went to the party at the invitation of two friends, but returned to his car after he was unable to find them.
“Outside of the house, Parga approached Washington and shot him without provocation several times in the torso,” according to the district attorney’s office statement. “Parga murdered the victim for a criminal street gang purpose. Washington and Parga did not know each other, and the victim had no previous contact or conflict with anyone at the party.”
Washington’s friend placed the wounded man into a car, called 9-1-1 and rushed him to the La Habra Police Department, officials said. He was then taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
After the investigation into Washington’s murder went cold, prosecutors developed new evidence and charged Parga with the killing in 2009. He was already serving a jail sentence for leading police on a chase in a stolen car that ended with a crash in Whittier about two weeks after the slaying.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Police car struck, officers unhurt in Monterey Park shotgun ambush

MONTEREY PARK >> Two police officers escaped injury when their car was struck by two shotgun blasts in an ambush late Thursday in Monterey Park, officials said.
An unknown attacker opened fire just before 10 p.m. as the officers were stopped in a commercial parking lot at the northeast corner of Garvey and New avenues, Monterey Park police Lt. Scott Wiese said.
The officers were watching over the parking lot of a 7-Eleven store across the street when their car was struck from behind by gunfire, the lieutenant said.
“All of a sudden, they heard two shots,” Wiese said. “They said it was really loud, like a shotgun blast. They felt the impact on the back of the patrol car.”
The officers sped out of the parking lot to escape the gunfire, he said. They didn’t see the shooter.
Monterey Park police, joined by officers from neighboring cities, swarmed the area in search of the attacker, Wiese said. The shooter remained at-large early Friday morning.
The shots were fired from north of the parking lot where the shooting took place, Wiese said. The area is occupied by a gated commercial lot, a vacant lot and the rear area of an apartment building.
Police summoned crime lab officials to the scene to examine the forensic and ballistic evidence.
Anyone with information can reach the Monterey Park Police Department at 626-573-1311. Tips may also be submitted anonymously via L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Man killed in shooting at Altadena burger stand

ALTADENA >> A man died Thursday after being shot during an argument outside an Altadena hamburger stand Thursday afternoon, authorities said.
The shooting took place just before 4:30 p.m. at Fair Oaks Avenue and Calaveras Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said. A witness flagged down a deputy within a minute of the shooting.
“The victim was sitting in front of Fair Oaks Burger when a suspect approached him,” sheriff’s Lt. Robert Lewis said. “An argument ensued. A weapon was produced. Three or four shots were fired at the individual.”
Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Huntington Hospital in Pasadena for treatment, Lewis said.
The victim succumbed to his wounds a short time later, sheriff’s officials said.
The shooter got into a dark gray, four-door sedan along with a second suspect, Lewis said. The car sped away heading east on Calaveras Street, Lewis said. The two suspects were described only as male.
Deputies set up a search perimeter in a three block radius surrounding the shooting scene and continued hunting for the suspects Thursday night, he said.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email