Police: West Covina man accidentally shoots son-in-law

WEST COVINA — A man accidentally shot his son-in-law while showing him a handgun Friday afternoon, police said.
The incident, which was being investigated as an accidental shooting, was reported about 4:40 p.m. at a home in the 900 block of South Russelee Drive, West Covina police Lt. Dennis Patton said.
A 9mm bullet penetrated a 28-year-old man’s wrist after the handgun, which his father-in-law was holding, discharged, the lieutenant said.
“He was reportedly showing a weapon to a relative when the weapon inadvertently went off,” Patton said.
Paramedics took the injured man to a hospital with an injury not considered to be life-threatening.
The men’s account of the shooting was corroborated by other witnesses at the scene, Patton added.
Police seized the involved gun, Patton said. Though it appeared the shooting was an accident, “We will do a comprehensive investigation.”

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Suspect jailed in connection with fatal Montebello shooting

A suspect is behind bars in connection with the fatal shooting of a Montebello man earlier this month, authorities said.
Montebello police investigators arrested Michael Joseph Fimbres, 44, of Montebello Wednesday in Pomona, according to Montebello police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
He was being held in lieu of $35,000 bail on a lesser felony charge Friday at the Montebello Police Department’s jail pending an expected murder charge, officials said. The date of his next court date was not available late Friday.
He’s accused of the July 1 fatal shooting of 35-year-old Frank Burnell Taylor of Montebello, who was found mortally wounded in the 500 block of Maple Street about 7:15 p.m., police and Los Angeles County Department of Coroner’s officials said. Taylor was pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives began seeking Fimbres after identifying early in the investigation as a suspect in Taylor’s slaying, Montebello police Sgt. Julio Calleros said. They had been keeping Fimbres under surveillance when they stopped a car he was in and arrested without incident about noon Wednesday on Fairplex Drive near the 10 Freeway in Pomona.
The suspect and victim were not strangers to one another, though the nature of their relationship was not certain, Calleros said.
“They were acquainted. They knew each other,” he said.
Calleros said the fatal shooting was believed to have been motivated by a “personal dispute.” He declined to discuss the dispute between the men in further detail.
Taylor was walking along Maple Street when an attacker, later identified as Fimbres, approached in small pickup truck, Lt. Andy Vuncanon said.
Fimbres exited the truck, approached Taylor, pulled a handgun and shot the victim once in the chest, the lieutenant said.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man seriously wounded in Pasadena shooting; attacker sought

PASADENA — An 18-year-old Pasadena man was seriously injured, but expected survive, after being shot in the chest late Friday in a residential neighborhood, police said.
The attack took place just before midnight in the 600 block of North Marengo Avenue, Pasadena police Lt. John Luna said.
“The suspect confronted the victim on the sidewalk,” Luna said. “Following the confrontation, the suspect fired several rounds, striking the victim once.”
The wounded man was taken to an area hospital, where he was listed in “serious but stable” condition, the lieutenant said.
Details of the confrontation that preceded the shooting were not available Saturday, and a motive in the crime was unclear.
“The suspect fled the area on foot. The area was checked for the suspect and any additional victims, but none were located,” Luna said.
Police described the shooter as a black man in his late-teens or early-20s, wearing black clothing.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Two men wounded in Pico Rivera shooting

PICO RIVERA — Two men suffered wounds in a shooting in a residential Pico Rivera neighborhood Wednesday evening, officials said.
The gunfire was reported about 7:25 p.m. in the 9500 block of Burma Road, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Alex Villanueva said.
Deputies responded to reports of gunman chasing after a man while shooting at him when they encountered two men who had been shot, according to officials and sheriff’s radio traffic.
One of the men had been shot three times in the torso, and the other had been struck in the leg, Villanueva said. Both were initially expected to survive their injuries.
No suspect description or motive was available, though deputies suspected the shooting was gang-related, Villanueva said. The victims were not cooperating with investigators.
A blue Chevrolet pickup truck with an extra cab was spotted leaving the area at the time of the shooting, he said, though it had not yet been determined if the truck was involved.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man fatally shot in Montebello

The Los Angeles County Coroner has identified a man fatally shot Tuesday in Montebello, coroner officials said.
Frank Burnell Taylor, 35, was shot once in the chest in the 500 block of Maple Street, Los Angeles Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said. He died at the scene.
Winter did not have a residence for Taylor.
Montebello Police officers found Taylor laying in the street around 7:15 p.m., officials said.
“Upon investigation it appeared that the victim was a pedestrian walking in the area,” Lt. Andy Vuncanon said.
Vuncanon said a suspect pulled up near the man and exited his vehicle.
“(He) approached the victim and produced a handgun and fired a shot at the victim which struck him in the chest,” Vuncanon said. “The suspect walked back to his car, got in, fled, and is outstanding.”
Police have not determined if both the victim and suspect were alone during the shooting, Vuncanon said. A motive has not been determined.
The suspect is described as a Latino male in his late 20s, 6-feet, 180 pounds, clean shaven with short black hair, and wearing a white T-shirt.
He was seen driving a silver small-sized pickup truck. The model is unknown.
Witnesses are asked to call Montebello Police investigators at 323-887-1248.

- Venusse Navid

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man wounded in Hacienda Heights car-to-car shooting

HACIENDA HEIGHTS — A man was wounded but expected to survive following a car-to-car shooting in Hacienda Heights Sunday afternoon, officials said.
The victim, a 21-year-old man, was stopped at a red light on Lujon Street at Hacienda Boulevard in a 2004 Audi when the attacker pulled up in an older-model, white pickup truck, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Rick Thurlo said.
“(The shooter) pulled up next to him on he right side and fired into the victim’s vehicle, striking him once in the upper right shoulder,” Thurlo said. A rifle was believed to have been used in the shooting.
Thurlo said the wounded man drove north a short distance to Hacienda Boulevard and Gale Avenue, where deputies encountered him.
Officials initially described the shooter only as male. He was last seen driving south on Hacienda Boulevard from the shooting scene. The motive in the shooting was not clear.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Gang member sentenced for shotgun slaying of Covina man

0628_NWS_SGT-L-NAVARETTEA judge sentenced a gang member to 80 years to life in prison this week for the shotgun slaying of a Covina man in October of 2012.
Fred Navarette, 31, of Covina was on a mission to gun down rival gang members when he came upon a group of five people gathered on a sidewalk in the 300 block of North Vecino Avenue in Covina about 3:30 a.m. on October 28, 2012, according to investigators and prosecutors.
Navarette was armed with a shotgun and driving a pickup truck he had stolen earlier in the day, Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Robert Serna said.
“He went into a known gang area with the shotgun and the stolen truck, pulled up to a group of people on the sidewalk, racked the shotgun, yelled out, ‘West Covina,’ and fired one shot at the group,” Serna said.
The shotgun blast fatally wounded Thomas Fernandez, the 23-year-old father of a then-22-month-old son who lived nearby, officials said. Fernandez ran into the carport area of an apartment complex a block to the south where he collapsed and died. No one else in the group was wounded.
Navarette received a term of 80 years to life in state prison Wednesday in the courtroom of Pomona Superior Court Judge Bruce Marrs, officials said.
A jury convicted him earlier this month of murder, along with the special allegations that the killing was gang-related and that Navarette personally used a firearm in the slaying, Serna said. He was also convicted of auto theft, being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and possession of a short-barrelled shotgun.
The conviction comes as Navarette’s second strike, as he has a prior conviction for assault with intent to cause great bodily injury, also with the special allegation that the crime was gang-related, Serna said.
Covina police arrested Navarette two days after the fatal shooting, Marquez said.
He was first charged only with auto theft as detectives continues gathering evidence, police said. Prosecutors charged Navaratte with Fernandez’s murder in March of 2013,
A passenger who was in the pickup truck with Navarette at the time of the shooting testified against him, and Navarette’s DNA was found on the shotgun used in the shooting, as well as the driver-side of the pickup truck used in the killing, Serna said.
Officials described Navarette as member of the West Covina 13 street gang.
During his trial, he grew hair over tattoos on his head, including a set of horns, Serna said.
Authorities described Fernandez and as an affiliate of the El Monte Flores gang.
His girlfriend, Jessica Martinez, said at the time of the shooting that although Fernandez had associated with the gang in the past and had friends who were involved with it, Fernandez was not a gang member.
Martinez described Fernandez as a good father and a kind man who loved music and dreamed of becoming a rapper.
0628_NWS_SGT-L-NAVARETTE2

PHOTOS:
TOP: Fred Navarette, 31, of Covina, was sentenced to 80 years to life in prison Wednesday, June 25, 2014, for the Oct. 28, 2012, shotgun slaying of Thomas Fernandez, 23, of Covina, in the 300 block of North Vecino Avenue in Covina. (Courtesy of the Covina Police Department)
BELOW: Mourners gather at the scene where 23-year-old Thomas Fernandez of Covina died after being wounded in a shooting on October 28, 2012. Fred Navarette, 31, of Covina, has since been convicted of murder and other crimes in connection with the killing and sentenced to 80 years to life in prison.
(Staff photo by Brian Day)

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man critically wounded in shooting at his Whittier home, suspect sought

A Whittier man remained hospitalized in critical condition Wednesday after he was shot inside his home Tuesday morning, officials said.
The shooting took place about 9:40 a.m. at the victim’s home in the 13300 block of Oval Drive, Whittier police Sgt. James Uhl said.
A 26-year-old resident of the home was shot in the chest and the abdomen, Lt. Aaron Ruiz said.
Police officers were already en route to a report of an “altercation” between two men when the shooting occurred, Whittier police officials said in a written statement.
“During the altercation and prior to the officer’s arrival, shots were fired and the victim was struck multiple times,” according to the police department statement.
Paramedics took the man to an area hospital, where he was listed in critical condition, officials said.
No description of the shooter was available, Uhl said, and detectives had not yet been able to interview the wounded man due to his medical condition.
Investigators were looking into whether the gunman barged into the home, or had been invited prior to the violent dispute.
“We don’t know how he got in,” the sergeant said. “There’s no evidence of forced entry.”
There were others in the home with the victim at the time of the shooting, however none were injured, officials said.
A motive in the shooting not clear, nor was whether the shooter and victim knew one another prior to Tuesday.
“At this time, it has not been determined what started the altercation; however it appears that this is an isolated incident,” the police statement said.

- Venusse Navid and Brian Day

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Elderly man found fatally shot on front porch in Pico Rivera; circumstances unclear

PICO RIVERA >> An elderly man was found fatally shot on the front porch of a Pico Rivera home Friday afternoon, and deputies cordoned off a neighborhood as they investigated whether the death was the result of suicide or a crime.
The shooting was first reported about 2 p.m. in the 3300 block of Whispering Palms, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Jacqueline Sanchez said.
The dead person was initially described as man in his late-70s or early-80s, Lt. Alex Villanueva said. Officials were still looking into whether he lived there.
According to initial reports broadcasted via radio by responding deputies, the person was found sitting in a chair on the front porch with a gunshot wound, and a gun was found with him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
But deputies also noted several bullet holes in the front windows and door of the home, rousing their suspicions.
Officials evacuated adjacent homes, summoned detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau and were treating the home as a potential crime scene as the investigation continued Friday afternoon, officials said.
Deputies canvassed the neighborhood asking neighbors if they had heard or seen anything unusual as they prepared to look inside the home where the shooting occurred, Villanueva said.
Deputies were yet to enter the home where the shooting occurred Friday afternoon.
No further details were available.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Officials: Off-duty cop accidentally shoots self in the leg in La Mirada

LA MIRADA — An off-duty law enforcement officer was hospitalized Sunday after accidentally shooting himself in the leg, authorities said.
The incident took place shortly after 1:30 p.m. as the man was driving his car on Valley View Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Kevin Beggs said.
The injured man, an off-duty law enforcement officer in his 20s, was stopped at a red light at Rosecrans Ave., when the accidental discharge took place, Lt. Kevin Beggs said.
He was moving the handgun from one place to another within the vehicle when it went off, striking him in the leg, the lieutenant said. The off-duty officer was expected to be OK.
The investigation was being handled by detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau.
Beggs declined to say what law enforcement agency the off-duty officer worked for, deferring further inquiries to homicide bureau detectives.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email