PASADENA — A judge sentenced a San Gabriel man to 26 years to life in prison Wednesday for fatally stabbing a man more than 30 times near his Burbank home, officials said.
Jorge Ernesto Villalobos, 47, received his sentence from Pasadena Superior Court Judge Suzette Clover, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
A jury convicted him Dec. 19 of the first-degree murder of 47-year-old Glenn Giles, which took place Feb. 26, 2008, near Giles’ home in the 3000 block of Joaqin Drive in Burbank, officials said.
“Testimony during the trial revealed Villalobos had been keeping track of Giles before finally killing him because he was dating his former girlfriend,” according to the district attorney’s office statement.
Giles was stabbed 32 times, officials said.
“Giles was stabbed at his house, but managed to make it to his neighbor’s house before collapsing and dying,” the district attorney’s office statement said.
Villalobos was additionally ordered to pay $8,000 in restitution.
LA PUENTE — Detectives Sunday announced an arrest in connection with the slaying of an El Monte man who was found stabbed to death behind a La Puente business Wednesday.
Andres Aguirre Garcia, 27, of Rowland Heights was arrested late Friday on suspicion of murder in connection with the stabbing, which was discovered about 2:45 a.m. Wednesday in a parking lot behind a business in the 15900 block of Old Valley Road in La Puente, Lt. Steve Jauch of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said in a written statement.
“Garcia has confessed to the crime and the murder weapon was recovered by homicide detectives,” Jauch said.
Lieutenant Pete Cacheiro of the sheriff’s Industry Station described the arrest was the result of, “a bunch of leads.”
“This was a collaboration of Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, the La Puente Special Assignment Team and the community,Cacheiro said.
No information regarding the motive in the alleged slaying was released.
Jose Chacon, 28, was discovered suffering from multiple stab wounds to his upper body in the parking lot to the rear of Alert Insulation Co. Inc., which is owned by La Puente Mayor Charlie Klinakis.
Earlier in the week, the mayor expressed sorrow over the slaying and said she did not know the victim.
Garcia was booked at the sheriff’s Industry Station’s jail, where he was being held in lieu of $1 million bail pending his scheduled arraignment Wednesday in El Monte Superior Court, according to county booking records.
- Brian Day and Ruby Gonzales
BASSETT — Two men beat a hydroponics store employee with a baseball bat and stabbed him repeatedly during an attack along Valley Boulevard Friday afternoon.
The incident, which deputies were investigating as an attempted murder, was first reported about 5:15 p.m. at a hydroponic supply store along Valley Boulevard, just west of Seventh Avenue, in the unincorporated county area of Bassett, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
Paramedics were first summoned to the scene by reports of an injured man bleeding from the head, Sgt. Mark Stonich of the sheriff’s Industry Station said. The rescuers contacted police after realizing the man was the victim of an assault.
“These two (attackers) used a baseball bat, hands and feet and possibly a knife,” Stonich said. “He had several puncture wounds in his back.”
The employee first received a phone call just before 5 p.m. from a man asking whether the store was open, and whether is carried a particular type of light bulb, Stonich said. The employee responded that the store did carry the bulb in question.
About 15 minutes later, the employee noticed two men standing in front of the store, pacing and carrying a bag, the sergeant said.
They entered the store, pulled a baseball bat from the bag and ordered the employee to exit the store, Stonich said. They then attacked the man.
Paramedics took the injured employee to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with stable vital signs, Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Larry Duran said. He was expected to survive.
The motive in the attack was not clear, Stonich said. There were no indications anything had been stolen.
The badly injured man managed to give deputies a description of his attackers before being rushed to the a hospital for treatment, the sergeant said. “He recognized one of their voices as person who had called on the phone.”
One of the assailants was a white man of about 6 feet tall, wearing a blue shirt and gray pants, Stonich said. The other was an Asian man of about 5 feet 6 inches tall and wearing all black clothing.
Not eyewitnesses to the attack had been found Friday afternoon, however witnesses did confirm seeing men matching the descriptions given by the victim and carrying a baseball bat in the area around the time of the incident.
The motive in the crime was not immediately clear, Stonich said. “We don’t know if a robbery occurred at this time.”
The investigation was ongoing. Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Industry Station at 626-330-3322.
ALHAMBRA — Prosecutors Wednesday filed charges against one of two men arrested in connection with a weekend stabbing in Alhambra, while the second suspect was released from custody without charges, authorities said.
Eric Gonsalo Hernandez, 23, of Los Angeles was charged with attempted murder, along with the special allegation that he used a knife in the crime, as well as assault with a deadly weapon, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Ricardo Santiago said.
But Marco Beltran, 28, of Los Angeles, who was initially arrested along with Hernandez, was freed Wednesday after prosecutors declined to file charges against him, citing insufficient evidence, Alhambra police and district attorney’s officials said.
The alleged attack took place about 1:25 a.m. stabbing in the 200 block of Curtis Avenue.
The stabbing victim, a 27-year-old Pasadena man, suffered numerous stab wounds to his torso but was expected to recover, Alhambra police Sgt. Jerry Johnson said. A knife believed to have been used in the stabbing was recovered at the scene.
Both the suspect and victim had been drinking at a nearby house party when the became involved in a fight that spilled out onto the street, the sergeant said.
The subject of the fight remained unclear.
Hernandez entered no plea at his appearance Wednesday in Alhambra Superior Court, Santiago said. An arraignment hearing was scheduled for Jan. 22. He was being held in lieu of $1 million bail.
ALHAMBRA — Police jailed two Los Angeles men in connection with a stabbing early Saturday in a residential neighborhood, officials said.
Eric Gonsalo Hernandez, 23, and Marco Antonio Beltran, 28, were booked on suspicion of attempted murder following the 1:25 a.m. stabbing in the 200 block of South Curtis Avenue, Alhambra police Sgt. Jerry Johnson said.
Police responded to a report of a fight when they encountered a stabbing victim, Sgt. Jim Hammond said in a written statement.
“Officers located two subject in the area and, through their investigation, determined they were involved in the crime,” according to the police statement. “The victim received serious injuries.”
The victim suffered several stab wounds, “mostly to the abdomen area,” Johnson said.
The wounded man was listed in stable condition at a hospital and expected to recover, he added.
Hernandez and Beltran were found in the area and arrested in connection with the crime, Johnson said. A knife believed to have been used in the stabbing was recovered.
A motive in the alleged attack remained under investigation.
Police noted that there was a party in the area at the time, but it was not clear Sunday whether the stabbing was related to the gathering.
According to police and Los Angeles County booking records, Hernandez and Beltran were being held in lieu of $1 million bail each pending their scheduled arraignments Wednesday in Alhambra Superior Court.
SOUTH WHITTIER — A group of attackers repeatedly stabbed an 18-year-old man at a bus stop Saturday evening, authorities said.
The stabbing took place about 6:50 p.m. along Mulberry Drive, near Mills Avenue, in an unincorporated county area just south of Whittier, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Eric Smitson said.
“The victim stated four to five unknown males approached him at a bus stop,” the lieutenant said. “He was stabbed multiple times.”
Smitson said the wounded man was hospitalized in stable condition, but did not appear to be fully cooperating with investigators.
No further description of the attackers was available, Smitson said. A dark-colored pickup truck was seen leaving the area at the time of the stabbing.
Investigators suspected the incident was gang-related.
ROSEMEAD — A Rosemead man suffered stab wounds Friday during a fight with a man he told investigators was an old acquaintance from high school, officials said.
The stabbing was reported about 4:20 p.m. along Bartlett Avenue, just north of Garvey Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Ismael Chavez said.
The victim, a 27-year-old man, told deputies he was walking down the street when a car pulled over and the driver — a man he knew in high school — got out of the car, the lieutenant said.
The attacker then challenged the victim to fight, Chavez said.
“During the fight, he noticed he was bleeding profusely from the abdomen,” he said. “He was stabbed multiple times.”
The wounded man went home and called for help, but would not give authorities the name of his attacker, Chavez said.
The suspect was described only as a white man in his mid- to late-20s wearing a white T-shirt and black pants.
Chavez said the victim’s injuries were not considered to be life-threatening.
Detectives from the sheriff’s Temple Station are handling the investigation.
PASADENA — A 16-year-old Pasadena boy suffered stab wounds and head injuries in an attack Saturday, but refused to cooperate with investigators, police said.
Authorities first learned of the incident about 10 a.m. when the victim was brought to Huntington Hospital in Pasadena by a family member, Pasadena police Lt. Jason Clawson said. He had been stabbed several times to one of his arms and legs, as well as bruising to his head, though the injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
Police later determined the attack likely took place at the Siesta Inn in the 2800 block of East Colorado Boulevard, the lieutenant said.
The wounded young man was “very uncooperative” when interviewed by police at the hospital, he said. “He said he was stabbed on Colorado Boulevard. He wouldn’t tell us any other circumstances.”
Officers had responded to the motel about 1:30 a.m. after receiving a report of a fight, however they found no one injured when they arrived, Clawson said. Police interviewed several people in the area, but made no arrests.
Officers returned to the motel later in the morning after learning of the stabbing and found blood in the area, he said. The time frame of the stabbing was unclear, and police were looking into any possible connection to the reported fight.
MONTEREY PARK — Deputies sought the public’s help Friday tracking down a man who stabbed another man in the throat during an unprovoked attack on a commuter bus last month.
The stabbing, which detectives are investigating as an attempted murder, took place at 7:17 p.m. Nov. 3 on a Metropolitan Transit Authority bus as it made it’s way through Monterey Park, Officials from the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Transit Services Bureau said. The attack, which was captured on surveillance video, took place as the bus was at Atlantic Boulevard and Garvey Avenue.
Both the victim and suspect boarded the bus about the same time just before the incident, sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
The assailant in the seemingly random attack was not believed to know his victim, officials added.
“The victim stated that the suspect got up from his seat, and thought he was exiting the bus. Instead the suspect, unprovoked, stabbed the victim in the throat with a knife or other sharp object and ran off the bus,” according to the statement. “Detectives also confirmed this via the bus video.”
Investigators described the unidentified suspect was described as a about 30 years old, Latino, 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, with short black or brown hair, a mustache and a goatee. He wore a light-colored shirt and dark shorts when the stabbing took place.
The stabbing victim, a 54-year-old East Los Angeles man, was initially hospitalized in serious condition, but was expected to make a full recovery, sheriff’s spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said.
Detective Kyle Ynclan of the Sheriff’s Transportation Services Bureau said Metro buses and trains are generally “a very safe mode of transportation.”
“That’s why when someone commits a crime like this, he must be brought to justice,” the detective said.
With the attacker’s image captured on surveillance footage, “there are times like these when we need the public to help identify a criminal like this so that we can stop them from committing another crime.”
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Sheriff’s Transit Services Bureau at 323-8563-5000. Tips may also be submitted anonymously via L.A. Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
SOUTH WHITTIER — A man was hospitalized in unknown condition after being stabbed in a residential neighborhood late Thursday, officials said.
The incident was first reported about 7 p.m. in the 10500 block of Nashville Avenue, just north of Dunton Drive, in an unincorporated county area just south of Whittier, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Joe Corrales said.
The victim, initially described as a man in his 20s, was taken to a trauma center for treatment, the sergeant said. His condition was unclear.
Deputies continued investigating the circumstances of the stabbing, he said. A suspect was being sought, however a detailed description was not available.