AZUSA >> A SWAT team responded to an Azusa neighborhood after a report of a man possibly being held hostage in his apartment late Tuesday, but ultimately encountered only a heavily intoxicated man who was taken for psychiatric evaluation, officials said.
The incident began about 9 p.m. in the 700 block of South Lark Ellen Avenue, Azusa police officials said.
A woman notified police that she had received text messaged from her boyfriend “that indicated he was possibly being held hostage by unknown persons,” Cpl. Tom Avila said.
Based on the information provided, police summoned a SWAT team to the scene, he said.
Once the home was surrounded, SWAT officers ordered anyone inside the apartment to come out, Avila said. The lone resident emerged from the home, unharmed, but apparently highly intoxicated.
No one else was inside the apartment, and there was no evidence a crime had occurred, according to the corporal.
Officials took the man for psychiatric evaluation and announced the situation was over shortly after 11 p.m.
SOUTH PASADENA >> Police shot and wounded a suspect in the middle of a home burglary as two women who lived in the house hid in an upstairs bathroom early Saturday, authorities said.
The incident began about 4:25 a.m. when a 48-year-old woman and her 22-year-old daughter realized there was an intruder in their house in the 1300 block of Huntington Drive, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
“Upon seeing the suspect, the women fled to the upstairs bathroom where they barricaded themselves from the approaching suspect,” according to the statement. “The suspect attempted to break through the bathroom door in an attempt to gain entry. When his attempts failed, the suspect proceeded to ransack the bottom level of the residence. The mother called 9-1-1.”
Officers rushed to the home and made their way inside, officials said.
“As the officers walked up the stairs towards the second floor, they were confronted by the suspect,” the statement said. “It was at this time that an officer-involved shooting occurred. The suspect then fled from the officers towards a bedroom where he proceeded to barricade himself.”
It was unclear what prompted police to open fire on the suspect, or whether he was armed at the time.
Police cordoned off the home and used a ladder to rescue the women through the window of the bathroom in which they’d been hiding.
A sheriff’s SWAT team responded to deal with the barricaded suspect. Officials from the sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau announced the suspect was in custody about 7 a.m.
“While in custody, it was discovered that the suspect had been struck in the shoulder by gunfire,” according to the sheriff’s department statement.
The 48-year-old suspect was treated at hospital before being booked on suspicion of burglary. His name was not released Sunday.
South Pasadena police deferred comment to sheriff’s officials, who traditionally investigate officer-involved shootings involving Los Angeles County police agencies.
The residents of the home were unharmed, and no police officials were injured during the incident, sheriff’s officials said.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau
LA VERNE >> A La Verne man holed up inside his car with what turned out to be a realistic looking pellet gun for about five hours Friday, enduring multiple types of teargas and even a foam-spraying fire hose before a SWAT team pulled him from the vehicle, officials said.
Richard Stamp, 55, was taken into custody just before 10 p.m. following the standoff at Calle Aragon and Via Del Marino, La Verne police Capt. Nick Paz said.
The incident began just before 5 p.m., when a utility crew working along nearby Golden Hills Road spotted a man getting out of a car while brandishing a handgun, the captain said. They reported what they saw to police.
When officers arrived, the suspect got back into his car and drove off, leading police on a short pursuit, Paz said.
He crashed into a fire hydrant around the corner at Calle Aragon and Villa Del Marino but refused to get out of his car.
The Foothill Special Enforcement Team, a SWAT team comprised of officers from several local police departments, was summoned shortly before 6 p.m. to take over the scene at Calle Aragon and Via Del Marino as the suspect continued refusing orders to surrender, Paz said.
The standoff with the suspect, who was presumed to still be armed, continued for about five hours. Nearby homes were evacuated as precaution, and surrounding streets were shut down as the situation continued.
SWAT officers used several different types of teargas in attempts to flush Stamp out of the car with no success, Paz said. He also refused to budge when officers sprayed him with foam from a fire hose.
After using flash-bang grenades and a particularly potent form of teargas to disorient Stamp, SWAT officers rushed the car and took him into custody without further incident, Paz said.
Officers recovered a realistic-looking pellet gun which had been fitted with a scope, as well as an axe and a water pistol, the captain said.
Stamp’s motive for the standoff, as well as his state of mind, remained unclear Friday night.
He was taken to a hospital for examination prior to the booking process.
MONTEBELLO >> A SWAT team used teargas and a K-9 to apprehend a suspect following an hours-long standoff at a Montebello apartment complex late Tuesday into early Wednesday, police said.
Edward Palacios, 39, of Montebello was ultimately arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats, assault with a deadly weapon and resisting or obstructing police the standoff, which began about 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 200 block of S. 7th Street, Montebello police Capt. Luis Lopez said in a written statement.
A family member of Palacios called police a short time earlier to report the suspect had threatened him with a gun, Lopez said.
“When Officers arrived they made contact with Palacios, however he quickly barricaded himself inside his apartment,” the captain said. “Officers then contained the apartment and continued their efforts with communicating with him.”
Police learned a woman, Palacios’ girlfriend, was also inside the apartment, Sgt. Julio Calleros said. The woman, who was not being held against her will, exited the apartment amid the standoff. She was not arrested.
But Palacios refused to surrender, remaining holed-up inside the apartment, police.
A Los Angeles County sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau team was summoned to take over the standoff.
After several hours, deputies used teargas to smoke Palacios out of the apartment, Calleros said. He continued to struggle once outside and was apprehended with the help of a police dog.
Palacios was taken to a hospital for treatment of dog bites described as minor to moderate prior to booking, officials said.
He was expected to be held without bail pending his initial court appearance.
PHOTOS: [TOP] Edward Palacios booking photo courtesy of the Montebello Police Department. [BELOW] Sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau deputies during standoff, courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
EAST LOS ANGELES >> A sheriff’s SWAT team helped Montebello police apprehend a wanted, armed felon without violence Friday after he barricaded himself inside an East Los Angeles home for five hours, authorities said.
Frank Javier Chavez, 28, of Los Angeles was ultimately arrested about noon following the stand-off, which began about 7 a.m. in the 100 block of Carmelita Street in East Los Angeles, according to Montebello police and Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials.
“Montebello personnel made contact with the suspect, however he barricaded himself in a rear dwelling,” Montebello police said in a written statement. “After several hours of negotiations, the suspect surrendered without incident.”
Following the standoff, deputies recovered three guns — two handguns and a rifle — from the detached bungalow in which Chavez had been holed up.
Deputies evacuated nearby homes as the standoff continued, including one woman who was invalid, Montebello polic Sgt. Julio Calleros said. The disabled woman was taken to a friend’s house by paramedics.
Chavez first crossed paths with Montebello police June 3, when he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, police said.
He was released from jail the same day pending his initial court appearance after posting $50,000 bail, county booking records show.
“On June 8, 2016 Mr. Chavez returned to the victim’s residence in an attempt to retrieve some personal items,” according to the police statement. “Mr. Chavez became angry at which point it is alleged that he made threatening statements, brandished a firearm and shot the victims vehicle several times before fleeing the area.”
Chavez was not found, and detectives obtained an arrest warrant related to the shooting incident.
Investigators tracked Chavez to Carmelita Street in East Los Angeles Friday morning, leading to the standoff and arrest.
Chavez was booked on suspicion of domestic violence, making criminal threats, shooting at a vehicle and possession of firearms by a convicted felon, police said.
Chavez, who was recently discharged from parole following a previous felony conviction, was expected to be held without bail pending his next court appearance, officials said.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Special Enforcement Bureau.
BALDWIN PARK >> Sheriff’s SWAT deputies conducted a search operation in Baldwin Park Sunday in connection to the shooting of a West Covina police officer over the weekend as the wounded officer was released from the hospital, authorities said.
The manhunt began immediately after Friday’s 11:20 p.m. gunfight between a West Covina officer and 47-year-old suspect Jose Luis Chavez Friday on Yaleton Avenue, just north of Badillo Street in West Covina.
Police officers and deputies from throughout the region searched the neighborhood en masse in the hours following the shooting, but came up empty-handed.
But the investigation continued, ultimately leading officials to a home in the area of Durness Street and Vineland Avenue in Baldwin Park on Sunday, where heavily armed and specially trained deputies from the sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau conducted a search for the suspect, according to sheriff’s and Baldwin Park police officials.
Authorities announced the search was concluded about 6 p.m., but the suspect remained at large.
“We are actively investigating and searching for this suspect,” Deputy Kimberly Alexander of the sheriff’s Information Bureau said. “He is armed and dangerous.”
Meanwhile, the injured officer was recovering well after suffering a through-and-through wound to his abdomen, West Covina Police Chief David Faulkner said.
“Our officer was released from the hospital this afternoon and is home resting,” the chief said via Twitter.
The officer approached Chavez, who was riding a bicycle, when Chavez began shooting, according to Deputy Trina Schrader of the sheriff’s Information Bureau.
The officer was struck in the torso but returned fire, officials said. It was unclear whether Chavez was wounded before he fled the scene and escaped.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, which is spearheading the investigation, at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
PHOTOS [Above] – Baldwin Park search operation on Sunday, May 22, 2016. (Courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Departrment) [Below] – Shooting suspect Jose Luis Chavez, 47. (Courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
LONG BEACH >> A SWAT team early Thursday apprehended a man in Long Beach who’s been linked by DNA to a Whittier check cashing business robbery four months ago, authorities said.
Timothy Deaunti Jordan, 26, of Long Beach, who was already on parole for a previous robbery conviction, was jailed without a struggle when a SWAT team found him about 5:45 a.m. at a home in the 200 block of West Gardner Street in Long Beach, according to Whittier police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
He’s accused of taking part in the early-morning, Nov. 16, burglary and armed robbery of a Whittier check cashing business in the 8800 block of Painter Avenue, Whittier police Officer John Scoggins said.
The window of the businesses was found smashed, but nothing was believed to have been stolen, Scoggins said.
Police took burglary report and left, and the owner, a woman, stayed at the business to clean up the mess, he said.
The burglars returned while the woman was at the business, armed with a handgun, Scoggins said. They forced the owner to open a safe at gunpoint and fled with a large, undisclosed amount of cash.
Investigators found blood believed to belong to one of the suspects at the crime scene and submitted it to the crime lab for analysis. The lab recently informed Whittier police that the DNA matched that of Jordan, who was already on parole for a robbery conviction.
Jordan was being held without bail pending a scheduled arraignment hearing Monday, officials said.
Police continued seek at least three additional suspects in November’s break-in and robbery, Scoggins said.
Anyone with information can reach Whittier police at 562-567-9200, or the department’s tip hotline at 562-567-9299.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Whittier Police Department
LA MIRADA >> Officials Friday released the identity of a 61-year-old man found dead from an apparent suicide after a SWAT team surrounded his La Mirada home for five hours on Wednesday.
Dennis Solis died at the scene of the standoff, which came to an end about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday at a house in the 12000 block of Los Coyotes Avenue, Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
Solis was believed to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials. An autopsy was yet to be carried out Friday.
Deputies responded to the home shortly before 5:30 p.m. after family members reported he was suicidal and armed with a rifle, Lt. Robin Limon of the sheriff’s Norwalk Station said. The family members got out of the home unharmed.
After hearing gunshots, deputies summoned a SWAT team to take over the situation. After about five hours, sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau deputies forced their way into the home and found Solis dead.
LA MIRADA >> A sheriff’s SWAT team found a man dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot late Wednesday following a five-hour standoff at a La Mirada home, authorities said.
The incident began about 5:20 p.m. at a home in the 12000 block of Los Coyotes Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
Family members called 9-1-1 a little more than an hour earlier to report the man was suicidal and armed with a rifle, Lt. Robin Limon of the sheriff’s Norwalk Station said.
Responding deputies heard the sounds of gunshots emanating from within the home, she said. The man’s wife and son had gotten out unharmed.
The sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau, or SWAT team, was called to the scene, along with crisis negotiators. Authorities evacuated nearby homes as they continued trying to communicate with the man.
“Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Crisis Negotiations Team made numerous attempts to bring about a peaceful resolution tonight in La Mirada, however contact with the armed barricaded suspect was unsuccessful,” Deputy Trina Schrader of the sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement. “Special Enforcement Bureau deputies made entry into the location and found a male adult inside deceased.”
The investigation was turned over to detectives from the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau.
PASADENA >> A Pasadena SWAT standoff ended Wednesday when a wanted suspect was taken into custody after more than two hours, officials said.
The incident came to an end about 1:20 p.m. when the man surrendered to police at his home in the 400 block of North Raymond Avenue, Pasadena police Lt. Kelly Evans said.
The stand-off began about 11 a.m. when officers spotted Daylon Camp, 21, of Pasadena, who was wanted on a burglary warrant, the lieutenant said.
As gang officers approached, he ran into his father’s home, police said.
“He didn’t respond to officers commands to come out,” he said.
A SWAT team responded to the scene and surrounded the home, Evans said. About two hours later, Camp surrendered without further resistance.
The barricade situation unfolded at the same time as a manhunt for a shooter or shooters involved in a mass shooting the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, leading to wide, incorrect speculation the incidents were linked.
“Broadcast news erroneously reported the Raymond Avenue suspect was connected with an active shooter incident in San Bernardino,” Police Chief Phillip Sanchez said. “The two incidents are not connected.”